Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Henna Hair Dye?

I've been wanting to color my hair as I have a few grays, but I am trying to use a more natural and less chemical approach. Has anyone used henna hair dye before with good results? I have naturally dark brown hair and looking for a good brand that will achieve that! Tips/ tricks/ brands appreciated!

Re: Henna Hair Dye?

I used to use the henna bars from Lush. I used the Brown one, and added coffee to the paste instead of water, to make it more brown. I would leave it on at least 4 hours, sometimes longer. I quit dying my hair nearly 3 years ago, so I don’t have a photo for you, but I liked it even though it was a super messy way to colour hair. 

I've been coloring my hair with Light Mountain Henna for about 4 years, with consistent results. It's pure plant powder and you can find it on Amazon or sometimes Whole Foods. They have a product specifically for coloring gray, which I believe is a 2-step process, but if you've only got a few grays you may not need it. My understanding is that gray hairs will turn bright red, leaving you with some highlights. It might take a few tries with different shades for you to get the color you're after. I'm naturally dirty blonde and ended up mixing 1 part auburn to 3 parts light red. Dying with henna takes 2-3 hours out of your day but it is much less damaging than salon color and SOOOO much easier on the wallet. Good luck! IMG_7482.jpeg

HI @tropicalk!  My mom and I use the same brand, Surya Brazil henna, for our dark brown hair.  I use the shade dark brown or chocolate, depending on how red-tinted I want my hair to be.  It's probably not the most natural option out there, but it makes my hair soooo soft, and the color fades beautifully.  Plus it comes in a cream, so it's super easy to apply - I put it on, wait for a few hours, and then wash it out, and it lasts about a month and a half. 

Rainbow Henna https://www.rainbowresearch.com/ is the best I have tried. I have used it for many years. Every time I try a different brand, it does not work as well. I have dark brown hair as well and use the dark brown shade. It looks natural; hair is stronger; less frizzy; and shiny.

To cover grey, use coffee instead of water, and add apple cider vinegar; this is in the directions. I would never use henna without also adding two tablespoons of olive oil.

I have tried the chemical dyes and they dry and damage my hair.  Henna does the opposite.

@tropicalkwrote:
I've been wanting to color my hair as I have a few grays, but I am trying to use a more natural and less chemical approach. Has anyone used henna hair dye before with good results? I have naturally dark brown hair and looking for a good brand that will achieve that! Tips/ tricks/ brands appreciated!

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
  • IMG_7482.jpeg
testing