Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Hair Care

Because of the lockdown, I haven’t been able to cut my hair in a very long time. I am too scared to cut my hair on my own, so I have been looking for products that could help restore my hair. My hair is pretty long, thin, dry and it is severely damaged. I am a natural brunette, and I have never dyed or treated my hair. Does anyone know any hair masks, oils, shampoos or scalp treatments that could help repair my hair?

Re: Hair Care

My sister is my hair dresser and she moved to BC almost 3 years ago and I refuse to see someone else for a hair cut. So I can only get my hair cut 1x a year when she comes home. So I had to do research and figure out how to maintain my hairs health with only getting a cut 1x a year. In my 3 years this is what I have learned works. First I suggest the Aquis 01 prime water defense prewash. I always use it before I shampoo or cowash and have it in well I brush out tangles with a Wet brush. That’s when I started to see a huge improvement in my hair. And the brand Wet brush has awesome brushes that you can use on wet hair without damaging or breaking the hair. Next I use Garnier whole blends conditioning milk maple sap edition. I use it as a leave in and it has dramatically decreased breakage and split ends. It doesn’t weigh down my hair or cause it to go oily either. And then I stopped using heat on my hair. No straighteners and no more curling irons. I use foam rollers over night if I want to style my hair without heat. Also a silk night cap really helps with frizz and breakage too. And you don’t need the brand silk’s night cap. I usually just order mine from amazon. And also if you put your hair in ponytails use silk scrunchies. They don’t cause breakage like regular hair elastics. If you use any hair masks try to use a mask with low protein content as too much protein can actually cause dryness and breakage. Briogeo makes a good no protein hair mask called Be gentle, Be kind. And my last advice is get a scalp massager to use when you are shampooing. Not only does it feel good but it also stimulates the hair follicles and makes the hair grow faster. 
Aquis 01 Prime Water Defense PreWash 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Scalp Massager 

Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind™ Avocado + Kiwi Mega Moisture Superfoods Hair Mask 8.0 oz/ 240 mL 

@Thalia07 I'm in a similar position. While I have self-cut my hair, in between, I've used  Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Crème just on my ends. It's supposed to be for dyed hair but with this product, prior to the lockdown, it protected it and gave me the ability to grow out my hair to my waist. I never really learned how long it could go while staying healthy because the pandemic kicked in and I forgot to use it for months. 

I’ve heard that olaplex products can cause hair to fall out, so I am a little hesitant to buy any of their products despite the mostly good reviews. If you don’t mind my asking, did you have any problems with hair loss or thinning while using Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Crème?

@Thalia07 you could ask someone to cut them for you.

If you are scared of the unevenness, you could cut only just a tiny short lenght, it would still help, and then later when salon re-opens you go 🙂

@Emy10 @Thats definitely a good idea! At least no one will notice if it is uneven! Plus, it will hopefully help my split ends!!! 😅

@Thalia07 @I use Oribe moisture masque at least once a week and shu uemura Essence Absolue Nourishing Protective Oil 5 oz/ 150 mL 

@SportyGirly125 Thank you for the product recommendations! I will definitely look into purchasing them sometime soon! Do you think that either of the products would help soothe an itchy and dry scalp?

@SportyGirly125 Ok! Thank you so much for your advices no recommendations!

@Thalia07 The hair oil and mask are more for the mid to end section of your hair.  Maybe you would need a moisture or hydrating shampoo and conditioner for the dry itchy scalp. I’m not sure since I’m not a professional in hair care. 

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing