Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Get rid of split ends without cutting hair?

I have pretty long hair and I love it and would like to grow it even longer. My problem is that I have a lot of split ends. Any ideas how to repair and get rid of my split ends without cutting my hair? I use Pantene 2-in-1 Daily Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner if that helps any.

Anonymous Insider

RE: Get rid of split ends without cutting hair?

I used Iles Formula shampoo, conditioner, Serum and mask and LOVE it. You can’t get rid of split ends I don’t think, but you can help to seal them down over time. Iles Formula had completely changed my hair.

Re: RE: Get rid of split ends without cutting hair?

Strange how there are several accounts that only post glowing reviews about Iles Formula and nothing else.

Right? lol

Right? lol

Re: Get rid of split ends without cutting hair?

@beautybykatk As others have said, split ends can’t really be fixed; products for split ends really just temporarily glue them together so they appear fixed but the hair is still damaged.

One thing I do in order to keep length but get rid of the damage is just cut the individual strands with splits. I have a pair of hair scissors by my couch so when I’m watching tv (or something else kinda mindless) I can look for the split hairs and cut off just enough.

Ughh I always split my ends when I’m bored. I know it’s so bad for my hair, but my split ends have increased since coloring my hair in August. I also use a blow dryer and straighten my hair daily. I use heat protectants with all my styling tools but it doesn’t make much of a difference. Olaplex re-bonds my hair (I leave it in overnight and wash it out in the morning), and the results last for about a week before looking “splitty” again.

Olaplex No. 3 has actually temporarily repaired a lot of my split ends.

@beautybykatk ~ Split ends cannot really be repaired once...

@beautybykatk ~ Split ends cannot really be repaired once a tear occurs, because it cannot be resealed or closed. This is due to the inherent nature of split ends which are the result of when the outermost part of the hair shaft, the cuticle, becomes damaged. Since the cuticle is made up of overlapping dead protein cells, and not living tissues, the compromised structure cannot be healed. I agree with what previous responses have recommended: to improve your hair care routine and get trimmed regularly. Having properly Ph balanced care products will also close the cuticle and improve the seal on the outer layer. I am prone to the same hair damage, so in the interim I use Split End Seal by Oribe. Although it can't quite help my already split ends, I find that it protects my hair from future damage and holds together any new splits that are forming to keep them from getting worse until I can go by the salon. Hope all this info helps! 💋

@beautybykatk Besides what's been said, I would strongly suggest you replace your 2-in-1 with a proper shampoo and conditioner. Most 2-in-1 shampoos just wash and don't properly condition... lots of surfactants to remove oil, and even there are good conditioning oils in the 2-in-1, they'll probably get lathered up and washed off with the surfactants.

I looked up the ingredients of the 2-in-1 you use... and not only is there sodium LAURETH sulphate, there's also sodium LAURYL sulphate...yikes! Two harsh surfactants at the top of the list side by side! I would steer clear of this stuff. It is probably doing more damage to your hair than good.

@k617 Good info to have! 💋

@k617 Good info to have! 💋

I'm afraid that split ends can't be un-done as far as I know.  I've found, however, that regular trims actually help my hair to grow healthier and faster.  They keep split ends at bay and you can maintain your long hair, so it's win-win!

Your hair is already split you can't reverse that without a haircut where the strand is together.  You can use products and use less heat to prevent further damage or oils to make it appear not as damaged.  That is why you are supposed to get regular haircuts so it doesn't get so damaged that you need to cut off more length. 

Honestly that is basically impossible. You can definitely help hydrate your hair and prevent further breakage but the only way to get rid of split ends is getting a haircut. My favorite hair masks are from briogeo! They do a really nice job and don't make my hair feel too heavy. 

https://www.sephora.com/product/dont-despair-repair-deep-conditioning-hair-cap-system-P425409?skuId=...

https://www.sephora.com/product/dont-despair-repair-deep-conditioning-mask-P388628?skuId=1784636&ici...

https://www.sephora.com/product/rosarco-milk-reparative-leave-in-conditioning-spray-P396733?skuId=17...

12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 29 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
Photos1
testing