Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Are the message boards dead?

Just a casual observation here but it seems like there aren't as many new posts as there used to be.  Is this just me or does it seem that way to other people, too?  Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of the new posts used to be the same topic over and over again, but it seems a little dead around here.  You can tell me if it's just me!  🙂

Re: Are the message boards dead?

@Ispend2much6  It is going well. It is a lot busier than my old job, but I’m getting used to it. My old job was a very toxic work environment so I’m definitely in a better place now.

@faeriegirl I'm glad that you're in a better place now!  Can I ask what you do?

Thank you @CookieGirl1!  I went back to being a pharmacy tech.

@faeriegirl that's awesome!  

@itscarin yeah, I miss some of the people I used to talk to here.  I post almost exclusively at night, unless it's the weekend or a vacation day, and I think a lot of people don't post at night.  I have IG but I don't post much, I just usually follow people.  I'm a bit old and a bit late to the IG game.  I'll still be here!

@curlychiquita  Yay!!!  It wouldn't be the same without you.

Aw, you, too, @Ispend2much6! 🥰

@itscarin @SportyGirly125  I assumed that a lot of people moved over to Instagram; I noticed the same thing.  The activity does seem to ebb and flow, the weekends being more busy.

Some have gone back to work at their offices away from home, in some areas life has gone pretty much back to normal. but honestly I wonder if people are concerned about the rising costs of everything don't want to spend money on unnecessary things, like makeup ("necessary" being open to interpretation 🙂 and don't want to be tempted by coming here.  Or at least not as often. 🙂

@Ispend2much6 I know for myself I'm at still at home, but I've got less free time because I'm at home.  At work you have nothing to do but sit there, but at home, there's always a load of laundry or dishes to do, so there's like no free time, ironically enough!  I don't know if I can ever go back to an office.  I've had a taste of the 100% remote life and I don't think I can go back!

But yeah it's funny because you and @SportyGirly125 are obviously staples around here, and it just seems like the boards have been whittled down to a few core people and that's it.  

I keep wondering if everyone is as tired of makeup as I am or if it's just me, but it does seem like a lot of beauty influencers are shifting their content.  For example, Desi Perkins doesn't do makeup tutorials anymore.  She's now designing sunglasses and her skincare or makeup line.  Chrisspy doesn't do makeup tutorials anymore -- she kind of got depressed and did some plus sized fashion/fitness content but then kind of stopped posting.  Bailey Sarian used to do makeup tutorials but now she's doing "make up murder and mayhem mondays" which is basically her doing a podcast on serial killers while she does her make up, and she has ventured out into straight up podcast territory. 

I really don't even follow beauty influencers anymore because I got tired of the new palette every week, new foundation every week game.  Don't get me wrong, I still love playing with make up, but the hyper consumption just got out of hand, for me at least.  I need at least 2-3 months to play with one palette, and just one palette, before I'm ready to move on to the next thing.  I still have so many palettes I bought and haven't even opened.  Ugh.  I feel gross just typing that.

@itscarin @Ispend2much6 @tjffc @SportyGirly125 I agree that the board is a bit more quiet than usual. With the tight deadlines at work, I can only sneak in here and there and writing short comments. I would love to post more pictures once the bug got worked out 😘 I’m just overwhelmed with constantly releases… everything seems to be the same after a while. And yes @Ispend2much6  everything seems a whole lot more expensive these days (I just paid double for bacons at my last grocery shopping 😂🤣)

@blackkitty2014. Double?  Oh no! Gas is going up a dime overnight. No warning about that.

@itscarin   I totally understand.  I spent the day in my pajamas, cooking; can't do that at an office!  🙂  My husband splits his work time between the office and home.  He likes both, but prefers home because he puts in so many hours, and at least he can see us during the day in bits and pieces.

Yes, it is true- once you become a mother, the workload increases with the happiness factor. 🙂

I do agree with you that the constant barrage of new releases kind of cheapens the makeup experience.  It kind of makes me numb to the whole thing, even though I like shiny and new products. 

I've been trying to declutter the entire house (a never-ending job, it seems.)  I went through my makeup mercilessly, taking selfies of me wearing my lip products.  I ended up getting rid of a lot!  All of my makeup fits into a slightly overflowing baby wipe box (the big ones that fit nearly 1000 wipes,) except for my eye palettes, finishing powders, and a few odds and ends.  It turns out that there is a certain range of shades that I like on me, and the rest I don't.  That makes it easier to manage. 

Since I did that, I've been able to talk myself out of a few purchases, thankfully.  It is still difficult to pass up sales when they're really, really good, but I keep telling myself that anything I buy I probably have something close to it already.

I've accepted that makeup is a hobby for me, that I will never not buy anything, but I can certainly tone it down.

One thing I really like and appreciate about BIC is the sense of community that we have because of our obsession with beauty products.  Not everyone understands that lol.  I think a lot of us are various types of artists at heart, and that gives us the ability to relate to each other well.

@Ispend2much6 I just decided to paint a 4 foot x 5 foot canvas with acrylics a couple of months ago. I am definitely an artist at heart. Still working on that painting because I have no free time. I tried painting while watching the kid but big surprise, he wanted to help.  Which, while adorable, we do not share the same vision for the canvas. 😂 

I just remember having to get a new box of crayons every school year even though you barely touched last year’s, and that’s kind of how I feel about the eye shadow palettes. I just keep buying them even though I have things I haven’t touched because… the heart wants what it wants. I just need that visual stimuli, and tactile experience to get inspired. 

hats off to your decluttering. It’s on my to do list.  Haven’t done it but I think about it all the time. Haha. 

@itscarin  Painting a huge canvas sounds like heaven for a little guy!  I'd love to see a picture of it when you're done.

Yes!  I was the same way about crayons!  I'll be vulnerable and admit that I even bought the nostalgia box a few years ago because of the original shades included and the cool tin it came in.  And, my kids are too old for crayons, so I really bought it for me. 🙂

@itscarin Desi Perkins doesn't post anymore makeup tuturials because she has her skin and sunglass brand.  Also, she has her son to take care of (but her Mom helps her too) and her dog recently passed away.  She still does sponsered Instagram posts.  If money wasn't coming in for them I bet they would be back to posting and doing more videos for income.

@Ispend2much6 @itscarin I think more of it has to do with the changes in BIC and Sephora overall.  It isn't as fun or appealing. Also, people have more important priorities.

@SportyGirly125 I think people have gotten a lot busier. I got a promotion several months ago and it is very stressful. I find it sometimes hard to enjoy the things I used to do.  I miss being on the boards and interacting with the community!  💕

Congratulations on the promotion! 🙌🙌🙌 @tjffc 

@sister13 Thank you.

@tjffc Congrats on the promotion!

@sprocketta Thank you.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • Screenshots_2021-10-23-18-17-24.png