Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Are the message boards dead?

Just a casual observation here but it seems like there aren't as many new posts as there used to be.  Is this just me or does it seem that way to other people, too?  Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of the new posts used to be the same topic over and over again, but it seems a little dead around here.  You can tell me if it's just me!  🙂

Re: Are the message boards dead?

@itscarin I have a few theories/observations just based on my own experience with BIC/the beauty industry in general, as well as how much our day to days and lives and been changed these last couple of years. First; I think BIC started to see a “decline” simply due to over saturation of content within the beauty industry. Influencer culture and hype was not helpful, despite I think the intention to give people an outlet to interact with brands, products, each other, etc. when it made the switch from BT (RIP BT…). As more and more people started to want to potentially break in to the “content creator” area of the industry, it was just another way to attempt to build a following. Remember all those “I want to be an influencer will Sephora send me makeup?” posts? With that, the quality of products brands put out suffered because they needed to release something every 2 months to keep up with hype (I say “hype” not “demand” because I think people wanted clicks and content, not products necessarily). Eventually, people got tired, which I think has been mentioned already. Then, those major players who did have a lot of “influence” content wise started getting real nasty with each other and I think it turned a lot of people off. It went from “Okay I like how this person is presenting info I’ll continue to watch/subscribe/follow” to “This is silly and I don’t know or care who these people are.” I don’t need a story or drama when I’m trying to decide if I want to buy a new eye shadow palette. 

And the last thing, people haven’t been wearing as much makeup or spending as much money lately. Also, as more and more people started working online or remotely, they don’t want to spend their off time looking at a computer. If you would browse the threads during a break from work, or during the day, or whatever before, now you might be taking your breaks away from your desk, outside, moving. If you’re on Zoom meetings all day, the last think you wanna do is keep looking at a screen when you log off. Obviously not everyone’s work experience has been this, and mine hasn’t been since about February, but it could be a significant enough number of people to make an impact. Even those who have returned to a more “typical” work day, some may have just moved on from this as a interest/hobby. 

@alexasteph I am just getting around to wearing jeans again. I put a pair on this weekend for the first time in probably almost 2 years. 

I know there’s still a pandemic but I’m starting to realize this is our new normal and I can’t wear leggings and baggy tee shirts for the rest of my life.  

even before the pandemic I was getting sick of all the hyper consumerism of influencers. God only knows I’m not perfect and buy too much.  But even I have my limits on too much stuff!

@alexasteph  I think one thing that bothers me about the influencer community is that people promote things that might not really be great but you take their advice and buy it and end up possibly not loving it. Kinda drives me crazy. I am more likely to buy something based on a BIC recommendation over an influencer because I know the influencer is getting paid to promote certain items. 

@itscarin I am definitely on BIC much less. My last dog was a greyhound and a couch potato. She was older and slept a lot. I was able to be on my phone more. After she passed, I got another dog a few months later. She is young and wants a lot more attention. I’m okay with that as I adore her and she is very sweet and affectionate. Pepper is my heart, as was my girl Joy. So more of my time goes to her. I have a few BIC friends I text with and get a bit of my beauty fix that way. I miss it but I also love moments like the one below. I try to get on every day or two, even if it’s just for a couple minutes.

E207BB28-3CEB-43D7-8C2F-58DF7997D207.jpeg

@sprocketta  Someone looks super content!  So sweet!

@sprocketta  Awww cutie!!! I miss you on here!!! But I get it with having a pup!!

@ather I’m getting some guilt from her now…

E94507F1-F5DC-4ABF-A8EB-381FB4704BFD.jpeg

@sprocketta I just want to hug her!!!  She's so sweet 🙂

@CookieGirl1 She is the best snuggler. She’s also a total wacko for the record.

C8705ECB-75FC-4C59-B83A-B1F43476C204.jpeg

FB1E5ED7-BDAC-4475-ABCA-2EDF51E2C61E.jpeg

@sprocketta  Awwwww such a sweetie. 

Such a cutie, @sprocketta! Pepper deserves every bit of that extra attention, LOL! 

@quspork she is! I suspect I will have a tear or two when I put up the golden greyhound ornament this year that you gifted me. Honestly I don’t know how I’ll have a tree up with a wacko like Pepper though…

@sprocketta @Omg she is so cute !

@itscarin I have noticed that the types of posts I would respond to have decreased, and although I don’t really use any other social media so I’m not sure if the content has simply shifted to a new platform. That being said, I stepped away from most beauty products except for skincare and perfume because I simply don’t use a lot of things underneath my mask so I don’t seek out content about makeup and such. All that being said, my biggest reason for not being on here as much is that Sephora has fallen off my radar due to the continuously declining quality of the VIB Rouge program; I’ll check in to see if there are any good promos or events coming up but sadly I haven’t been enticed so I don’t stick around as I did before. Until the program steps up its game and becomes as good as it was in years past, I think the old guard will continue to step away in order to seek out better rewards, and the boards will reflect that shift in traffic and loyalty.

@LCResz @I hear you.  I am actively ignoring my spend with Sephora so I don’t feel like I have to spend x more to make rouge this year.  The loyalty program doesn’t hold a candle to ulta’s and even individual brands’ sales.  I’m trying to spend more outside of Sephora just because I know I can get more bang for my buck else where. 

I’ve kinda sorta noticed it, though I’m not here nearly as often as I used to be. I wondered if maybe I was just showing up on slow days. 

The reason Im not here as often: 
Spoiler
Maybe some folks are going through the same (or similar) thing I am: total burnout in all (or many) facets of life. For some people, “burnout” is simply boredom or loss of interest, or not having the time and energy for BIC compared to something else happening in their lives. For me, “burnout" is a polite summary of “my mental health has taken too many hits over the last 2 years and everything’s snowballed now, so I’m taking myself mostly off-grid where my not-okay-ness won’t affect other people online.” I haven’t been on social media much in general lately… eh, not counting youtube, which I treat as a streaming TV source. (I very rarely comment on any youtube videos anyway.) With the holidays coming, I know my mental state’s only going to get worse since I won’t be traveling to see family this year—so I really need to work on pulling myself back together now, with the help of a therapist and possibly meds. Sure, interacting with folks online could help with that. But Im so burned out, anxietys convinced me to keep my distance for now. 

I do like helping people, so I still try to answer a question or two when I’m here. And hey, I’m commenting on this thread, so there’s also that. 

I don’t remember the last time I logged onto Instagram… I’m not a big fan of IG’s setup for online discussion, and I still don’t follow any influencers there (or anywhere). My IG account’s not focused on any single topic, and I haven’t posted a ton of content there overall. IG could be a therapeutic output channel for me, once I’m feeling more in control of things. I’m usually active on Facebook, where I keep up with family and friends, but I’ve stopped interacting there too—plus, FB’s gotten ridiculous with account bans, so it’s not unusual to find out friends have been hit with 30-day bans lately. I mean, I got a “next time we’ll ban you" warning just for commenting (on a friend’s post) that the way many Americans handled covid is stupid compared to certain other countries’ citizens. As for other social media platforms and forums/boards, Ive also pulled back from those. Hopefully Ill be more active again, eventually. 
I assume some people are simply less interested in beauty these days. In addition to folks not using as much makeup and haircare products (due to working from home, masking in public, etc.), new product releases seem too similar lately, or look/feel like rehashes of previous releases. Theres not enough innovation or creativity coming from beauty brands. That might partly be because some brands realize many customers cant/wont spend as much money on beauty as they used to. Or you know, some brands are stuck on a particular rehashed theme and refuse to push beyond that comfort zone. Customers are getting bored. Hell, I bet some influencers are getting bored. I mean, how many times can you post photos/videos about palettes with identical color stories and formulas? Anyway, maybe theres not enough exciting beauty stuff to talk about lately. 

But if anyone else is “burned out” the same way I am: I feel you. 

If anyone’s ever sent me a BIC message I haven’t replied to: it’s not you, it’s totally me. And okay, maybe it’s also BIC/Lithium since there was a time I wasn’t getting message notifications. But I’m not trying to ignore people. I have maybe 15 unread messages and I can’t adequately explain why anxiety stops me from replying, but it does, and I’m trying to push through it, but anxiety’s a strong beast. I’m sorry to anyone whose feelings might be hurt, or who might feel insulted or ignored. Totally not my intention. 

@WinglessOne I am so sorry and I understand. A lot of what you shared resonated with me. I wish I could better articulate what I am feeling, but I wanted you to know that I appreciate your honesty.

@sprocketta mentioned the lipstick carousel you recommended. I am still using the makeup brush post-cleaning holder you also recommended. Every time I am going through my weekly cleansing, I smile at that little contraption that make my life so much easier. Thank you, and big hugs to you. If you’re not a hugging type of person, Hugh fives. Or whatever floats your boat 🙂

@WinglessOne  I'm sorry to hear you are struggling, as you are such a positive person and have a lot to offer people.  Even our pastor mentioned how all of the covid (and related) stuff can make people tired, for a lot of reasons.  So it's definitely not just a few people who are experiencing this.

I totally quit Facebook in the spring, and I don't regret it at all.  Well, except that it's harder to keep up with some people.  But I realize I prefer to keep a few deeper friendships than trying to be managing over 100 of them on FB.  That's too much mental energy, for me anyway.

@WinglessOne You're definitely not the only one. I feel you and am not looking forward to the winter months. Everyone I know is vaxxed so things are so much better from this perspective, yet the toll and endurance of dealing with the pandemic has really sapped people. Our lives continue to be disrupted and marked by losses.

It takes an effort to seek out enjoyment - like enjoying life is not a default state, you need to put energy into it, even if it's talking about beauty in a pretty easy going and supportive community like BIC. Feels like everyone's batteries are just always hovering above 0%? Sending you comforting autumn vibes 🕯 hang in there!

f05983de8f27c9472ee1ee01fcc2c47c

💜💜💜 @WinglessOne You are most definitely not alone. The whole last year and half has taken a toll on my mental health as well and that's probably the biggest reason I'm not checking in daily anymore. I have to think that's the case for a lot of people, especially some of our "regulars" we don't see around as often. 

@WinglessOne I understand. I’m still not sure if I’m going home for the holidays this year. Covid has definitely affected my mental health. I work had to keep it on track though. Basically the instant I started working from home last year I shifted from going to the therapist every two weeks to every week. They’re video appointments but I just didn’t wanna get too weird and isolated and I was afraid I would get depressed. I don’t get to wear lipstick all the time like I used to. I DO find that organizing my collection has made me use barely touched items much more though. And you were kind enough to recommend the lipstick carousel I bought, so thank you. I feel you. Trust me.

Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • Screenshots_2021-10-23-18-17-24.png
  • E207BB28-3CEB-43D7-8C2F-58DF7997D207.jpeg
  • f05983de8f27c9472ee1ee01fcc2c47c
  • E94507F1-F5DC-4ABF-A8EB-381FB4704BFD.jpeg
  • C8705ECB-75FC-4C59-B83A-B1F43476C204.jpeg
  • FB1E5ED7-BDAC-4475-ABCA-2EDF51E2C61E.jpeg