Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

The Packaging Thread

Packaging plays a major role in beauty products. Brands put out releases with special LE packaging. How many times have you drooled over the compact itself or the box or jar? Some packaging is a work of art. This is a thread to show that extra swoon-worthy items you had to photograph and share. I'm a sucker for the PMG lipstick boxes and keep them all. Huda put out a number of lip sets in adorable tins (this tin sits on the bathroom counter). These are a few of my favorite items. Please share yours. I can't walt to see.Huda Contour and Strobe Lip SetHuda Contour and Strobe Lip Set

PMG MatteTrance ElsonPMG MatteTrance Elson

PMG LuxeTrance Sorry Not SorryPMG LuxeTrance Sorry Not Sorry

Re: The Packaging Thread

@CoffeeWuff  It’s half wolf half dog 😂 First Chantecaille made that eyeshadow trio for wolves but than it made single highlighter with the identical little face for the Year of the Dog. 

@Zvezdochka love your collection.  So gorgeous

@Zvezdochka love your collection. That top piece with the wolves was definitely something I had in mind when I started this thread. Is the last one Anna Sui? Looks like her style. Gorgeous!

@sprocketta  You are absolutely correct. It is Anna. Pretty much every make up item that Chantecaille does is a piece of art. Plus the causes they support make a purchase more pleasant (although I do wish they donated a bigger % of sale price than they do). 

I am not usually drawn to purchasing a product due to packaging @sprocketta. I did save a package from my garment center days because I was drawn to the packaging. I am always drawn to anything pink so I did purchase the PMG Divine Rose 11 in the pink packaging.B42944AA-D5C1-4B4F-B3B2-89FC03D92124.jpegDB8B0258-5A19-41E0-A850-A244E507DFF1.jpeg139C07C3-DEAA-4AAD-9255-BBD164143FE0.jpeg

Lovely packaging.

@Loretta55 the pink packaging is perfect!!

Thank you very much @lmaster.

Wow @Loretta55 so gorgeous. I love PMG packaging.

Like you @sprocketta, pink and red are my two favorite colors. I agree that PMG packaging is gorgeous!

@Loretta55 @So gorgeous 💗💕💖

Thank you very much @SportyGirly125.

Thanks for the tag @sprocketta ! 

I rarely buy products solely for pretty packaging. Usually my only packaging/casing consideration is function: how easy or hard a product would be to carry in my bag (which is why I almost never use my Guerlain custom case 😂); does it have a fussy open/close mechanism; is it sturdy; does it protect the product inside from air, light, moisture, jostling in transit, etc.; and for travel purposes, how small is it. 

But I do appreciate package visual design, be it very simple or more ornate. And I’m sometimes drawn to the way a product’s casing feels in my hands; I’m a very tactile person. 

Simpler designs 
Spoiler
2 of my Glossier Cloud Paints. I love the look of these little tubes.2 of my Glossier Cloud Paints. I love the look of these little tubes.I’m a big fan of NARS’s matte black packaging. These are all blushes. I bought 2 of the new shades; once I memorize their position in this drawer, I might flip all the blushes back around to front-facing.I’m a big fan of NARS’s matte black packaging. These are all blushes. I bought 2 of the new shades; once I memorize their position in this drawer, I might flip all the blushes back around to front-facing.This is the Living Luminizer Quad X. Doesn’t get much simpler in design than this, plus it’s a very thin compact. I love it.This is the Living Luminizer Quad X. Doesn’t get much simpler in design than this, plus it’s a very thin compact. I love it.Left: the old e.l.f. package design I love. Right: the new design I’m far less fond of.Left: the old e.l.f. package design I love. Right: the new design I’m far less fond of.Some folks hate The Inkey List’s package design, but I like it a lot. Simple, consistent, and quick & easy to visually/mentally consume.Some folks hate The Inkey List’s package design, but I like it a lot. Simple, consistent, and quick & easy to visually/mentally consume.One of my favorite sheet mask sleeve designs. Copy’s a bit repetitive, but the overall simplicity is great.One of my favorite sheet mask sleeve designs. Copy’s a bit repetitive, but the overall simplicity is great.(Received as gratis from Sephora.) I hate this jar’s functionality but LOVE the color gradient. I want to try converting it to an airless pump jar.(Received as gratis from Sephora.) I hate this jar’s functionality but LOVE the color gradient. I want to try converting it to an airless pump jar.This is my powder foundation compact. It’s heavy for its size, but I like that for this product. It’s nice to hold in one hand, almost like a worry stone.This is my powder foundation compact. It’s heavy for its size, but I like that for this product. It’s nice to hold in one hand, almost like a worry stone.Some folks hate Viseart’s 12-pan cases, but I love them. I feel I’m truly paying for the quality of the eyeshadows, not their casing. I do wish Viseart had always used magnetic palettes, though. Oh, and I’ll talk about R2 in the next spoiler tag. :DSome folks hate Viseart’s 12-pan cases, but I love them. I feel I’m truly paying for the quality of the eyeshadows, not their casing. I do wish Viseart had always used magnetic palettes, though. Oh, and I’ll talk about R2 in the next spoiler tag. 😄

“Prettier“ designs 
Spoiler
PMG Mothership I Subliminal has my favorite box. But I no longer keep the palette inside.PMG Mothership I Subliminal has my favorite box. But I no longer keep the palette inside.All my Motherships are now in my stack of Container Store Luxe Acrylic drawers. They don’t fit inside the medium drawer, but they do fit inside the drawer’s casing. (I’ve repurposed the drawer in my linen closet.)All my Motherships are now in my stack of Container Store Luxe Acrylic drawers. They don’t fit inside the medium drawer, but they do fit inside the drawer’s casing. (I’ve repurposed the drawer in my linen closet.)Boxes I’ve kept. The Hourglass Lunar New Year blush doesn’t feature the pig at all (boo hiss), so I’ve considered adding it to the compact lid. The 3 non-PMG lipstick boxes are Lipstick Queen: one of the Cupid’s Bow crayons, Blue By You, and Jungle Queen.Boxes I’ve kept. The Hourglass Lunar New Year blush doesn’t feature the pig at all (boo hiss), so I’ve considered adding it to the compact lid. The 3 non-PMG lipstick boxes are Lipstick Queen: one of the Cupid’s Bow crayons, Blue By You, and Jungle Queen.L: my Superstitious travel case and the box it came in. (I’ll recycle the box eventually.) R: So many folks have asked about this fragrance when I’ve worn it, I keep this travel size box in my bag for show and tell.L: my Superstitious travel case and the box it came in. (I’ll recycle the box eventually.) R: So many folks have asked about this fragrance when I’ve worn it, I keep this travel size box in my bag for show and tell.Let’s inspect that ColourPop Good Fortune Velvet Lux trio box. I love this box. It’s much more ornate than the lipsticks’ casing.Let’s inspect that ColourPop Good Fortune Velvet Lux trio box. I love this box. It’s much more ornate than the lipsticks’ casing.Can’t discuss product packaging without bringing up (again) my Lina Choo The Great Artist bullet and the box it came in. (I no longer have the box; these are old photos.)Can’t discuss product packaging without bringing up (again) my Lina Choo The Great Artist bullet and the box it came in. (I no longer have the box; these are old photos.)An extremely rare exception to my “don’t buy a product solely for its packaging/casing visual design“ rule. This is the only PMG lipstick box I’ve ever kept, excluding the 3 I cut apart to repurpose as gift card holders.An extremely rare exception to my “don’t buy a product solely for its packaging/casing visual design“ rule. This is the only PMG lipstick box I’ve ever kept, excluding the 3 I cut apart to repurpose as gift card holders.
I have another 10-pan PMG coming (VIII Divine Rose II; reeeeally wish this palette had its own unique name, sheesh). I bought it for the shadows it contains, of course. But also, I ordered the pink-cased version because I plan to store it in my drawer stack with all the other Motherships. Notice how I didn’t label the spine of IV Decadence? I won’t need to do that with VIII either, because it’ll be the only pink one. So yeah, this palette also kinda counts as a packaging/casing visual design influenced purchase. 😄

And okay, speaking of Decadence: I have 2 of them and they’re both gold-cased. One is the Star Wars branded palette I bought last December. The other is the re-released one (no SW branding) I bought this year. Sure, I wanted a non-SW branded one. But also, I’m positive I’ll pan this palette so I decided to buy a backup. Don’t judge me! 
Masks: 
Spoiler
I could show many, but here’s a very small group of my favorite package designs. 

My favorite eye patches: Jayjun Green Tea Gel Eye Patch.My favorite eye patches: Jayjun Green Tea Gel Eye Patch.The sheet mask that compliments those eye patches.The sheet mask that compliments those eye patches.17VDerma Pibuwang Mask; I mean, just look at it!17VDerma Pibuwang Mask; I mean, just look at it!I wish Peripera was still around to make masks. Of the Sparkling TokTok Time line, this sleeve’s my favorite design.I wish Peripera was still around to make masks. Of the Sparkling TokTok Time line, this sleeve’s my favorite design.Mitomo Ukyio-E Collagen + Lithospermum mask. Possibly my favorite sleeve design from this line.Mitomo Ukyio-E Collagen + Lithospermum mask. Possibly my favorite sleeve design from this line.LuLuLun Premium Kyoto Geisha. L: the box these sleeves come in. R: a single sleeve. Unlike LuLuLun’s multi-sheet resealable pouches, these are single-sheet sleeves.LuLuLun Premium Kyoto Geisha. L: the box these sleeves come in. R: a single sleeve. Unlike LuLuLun’s multi-sheet resealable pouches, these are single-sheet sleeves.Papa Recipe Bombee Fruitables Pink Squeeze mask. I love the slim sleeves and fruit designs on this whole line of masks.Papa Recipe Bombee Fruitables Pink Squeeze mask. I love the slim sleeves and fruit designs on this whole line of masks.

There's something about a simple packaging I like too @WinglessOne 

@WinglessOne I knew I could count on you for a gorgeous and brilliantly detailed post. That R2D2 packaging is killing me. I love the red as a beauty mark. I had a piercing in this spot when I was younger and loved it. Here's a blast from my past so you can see it. I miss the days of hot pink hair and spikes.FB_IMG_1479269847707.jpg

@sprocketta  I love this photo! Reminds me of my 80s and 90s goth punk days. 🙂 I keep saying I’ll re-pierce my nose someday. I miss wearing nose rings. 

Yes!!! @sprocketta 

@WinglessOne your commitment to beauty is kind of other-worldly. Alber Elbaz, I haven’t tried that but I’m interested. I believe he was ousted from his brand a few years ago, which makes me even more curious. Creativity isn’t always appreciated, but we need it to move forward. So I am curious, what are the notes? A side note, what do you think of Glossier You?

@eshoe  Yeah, Elbaz had a big falling out with Lanvin’s owner. So did others, if I recall correctly. I heard he’s launching his own brand, AZ Fashion. I don’t normally keep up with the fashion world, but his story was hard to miss, especially when Lanvin began a downhill tumble after he was forced out. 😄 

Superstitious is a classic floral with just enough sharpness to hold my interest. I’m normally not a fan of rose-forward fragrances, but I love this one. The nose is Dominique Ropion. Here are the official description & notes, copied from Frederic Malle direct: 

Spoiler
Description

The scent of a dress. 

The illustrious fashion designer Alber Elbaz has met his match in the perfume world.
A classic floral aldehydic architecture illustrates Elbaz’s free-flowing vision of an elaborate fabric in which everyone can find their own beauty: Turkish rose and Egyptian jasmine, enhanced by a touch of peach, rest on a bed of amber imbued with Indonesian patchouli and Haitian vetiver. A final touch of aldehydes sharpens the perfume’s opulence with an urban edge. 

Unaccountable beauty. 

Notes 

Top notes: rose; jasmine 
Middle note: aldehydes 
Base notes: amber; vetiver 

It’s a big crowd pleaser. I get more compliments on this fragrance than any other I wear. 

EDIT: I have a sample of Glossier You but haven’t used it yet. You just reminded me to try it. 😄 

I absolutely love all the information and detail you put in your posts @WinglessOne 

The patchouli notes interest me so I will seek it out @WinglessOne

Yes, I recall reading about the whole ordeal, it was sad, really. Any type of upheaval like that is disheartening. I don’t know whether it’s better or worse if it’s visible on the outside; it still hurts.

I wish Glossier had some DS once in awhile. My biggest pick with the brand which really, isn’t much.

275 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos109
  • Huda Contour and Strobe Lip Set
  • PMG MatteTrance Elson
  • PMG LuxeTrance Sorry Not Sorry
  • Screenshot_20200604-234618_Chrome.jpg
  • 2CF8E62F-BD00-4990-B5A0-6E1C2297D240.jpeg
  • A5EA71F3-65A3-424F-8B57-C4FD829FCDB6.jpeg
  • 6F1D9E6C-4618-4F29-A586-86D942D35888.jpeg
  • 0C41B5C0-60AB-4818-B5FB-7593DC16B65B.jpeg
  • IMG_20200605_085758127.jpg