Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

Hey all you cool cats and kittens, welcome to YEAR 6 of the Pan It Challenge!

ElleElleG_1-1672620471899.gif

**Join us in the 2024 thread available here: Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃 *this is the number one recommendation for everyone, regardless of how long you’ve been panning! Those photos add up and can help you realize progress you might otherwise overlook.
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Re: Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

April  -- So... I'm a bit behind on posts, but I did snag the photos on time.

I finished up two products this month so I'm quite happy with that.  Only replacing one to bring my number of products back to 10.  I find keeping the number of products down a bit makes it seem less daunting.  

Was quite excited to finish off the MAC studio tech, it's a lovely product, but the shade was a touch too dark and needed some extra light concealer to make it work.  The Vera Wang Princess is... fine, was a gift that was nice enough years ago when I got it, but I honestly had a tiny amount left so I went and perfumed my entire house to use it up.Was quite excited to finish off the MAC studio tech, it's a lovely product, but the shade was a touch too dark and needed some extra light concealer to make it work. The Vera Wang Princess is... fine, was a gift that was nice enough years ago when I got it, but I honestly had a tiny amount left so I went and perfumed my entire house to use it up.I debated on this one.  I'm adding it in to the project because I 100% forgot I even owned it.  It was stuck in the back of my fragrances.  That means it's not a favourite.  Its only half full so I'm going to see if I can polish it off if it's front of mind.I debated on this one. I'm adding it in to the project because I 100% forgot I even owned it. It was stuck in the back of my fragrances. That means it's not a favourite. Its only half full so I'm going to see if I can polish it off if it's front of mind.Not much use on either of these.  The PTR is gimicky to me.  I don't think that it's the dead skin rolling off, it's the product.  That said, there are some exfoliating properties and I'm hoping it's a more gentle exfoliation so I can use it up easily.  This one is key to use before a shower to avoid a mess at the sink.  The Vaseline lotion is... vaseline lotion.  Nothing fun about it, it's just there.Not much use on either of these. The PTR is gimicky to me. I don't think that it's the dead skin rolling off, it's the product. That said, there are some exfoliating properties and I'm hoping it's a more gentle exfoliation so I can use it up easily. This one is key to use before a shower to avoid a mess at the sink. The Vaseline lotion is... vaseline lotion. Nothing fun about it, it's just there.I've slowed down sooooo much on the MAC lip oil.  I'll get through it eventually, it looks pretty going on and feels nice initially, but it dries out my lips if I use it all day for multiple days. The May Coop Raw Sauce is okay.  I don't think it has any major effect on my skin either good or bad.  I'll keep plugging away at it.I've slowed down sooooo much on the MAC lip oil. I'll get through it eventually, it looks pretty going on and feels nice initially, but it dries out my lips if I use it all day for multiple days. The May Coop Raw Sauce is okay. I don't think it has any major effect on my skin either good or bad. I'll keep plugging away at it.I don't think I used the concealer or the foundation once.  Neither are fav's.  The foundation sits on my skin and the concealer is too dark.  The Fix+ is fine, but I used hardly any in order to use up a mini that I have on hand.  Figured I can decant the bottle into the mini and turn in the full size for Back to Mac next month.I don't think I used the concealer or the foundation once. Neither are fav's. The foundation sits on my skin and the concealer is too dark. The Fix+ is fine, but I used hardly any in order to use up a mini that I have on hand. Figured I can decant the bottle into the mini and turn in the full size for Back to Mac next month.Mac bronzer... I'm plugging away at er, but it's a long journey.  This liner is the liner that keeps on going.  I tightline with this mostly but its like it never dies.Mac bronzer... I'm plugging away at er, but it's a long journey. This liner is the liner that keeps on going. I tightline with this mostly but its like it never dies.

@missjeanie Amazing progress!

Yoo-hoo perfume panning 👌🎉🎈 @missjeanie 👏

@blackkitty2014 I'm determined! lol 

@missjeanie I'm laughing because I use perfume I'm not excited about as "bathroom spray" 🤣 great job

@lmaster I mean.... as long as they're used??? 

@missjeanie Great job! I feel the same about the PTR. 

@Samtian Every time I hear an 'influencer' talk about how much skin rolls off with these types of masks I end up rolling my eyes lol

@missjeanie haha I would too!

Woah way to go @missjeanie 👏👌🌹♥️

@blackkitty2014 Thanks!!!

Woohoo! 🎉 Congrats on finishing the perfume and the Studio Tech @missjeanie!! It’s nice to use things up and move on! 👍🏼 I lol’ed at the liner that never dies - there always seems to be that product that just keeps going and going, no matter how often you reach for it! 

Hmmm…. maybe the Clinique Happy can be a de facto air freshener for your car or right when you enter the house?

@itsfi Clinique has 100% been used as an air freshener lol!  I've tried it once or twice as a perfume, but I think it's going to be a room spray. 

April Update - Overall, April was a good month for project pan, with the exception of that Moraccanoil Treatment which remains MIA. 😆

MONTHLY SUMMARYWe saw some pan this month. Woohoo!!! [Hint: it may not be what you think] See All Stars notes. 👇

APRIL ALL STARS: What do a mini Laneige lip mask, a travel size Tarte Paaarty blush and a Natasha Denona matte shadow (Coco) have in common? They're April's All Stars! Ohhh yeaaahh!

FOCUS FOR MAY (aka pan products that need more attention): Gotta turn my focus to that Bobbi Brown Jadestone palette. I’ll try to focus on using a couple of shades from that palette as my primary eyeshadow palette in May, with, of course, Monroe, because we're so close.

Now for the close ups - 

Big moves on JVN hair this month. Steady progress on the other hair care items in my project pan.Big moves on JVN hair this month. Steady progress on the other hair care items in my project pan.

Keeping a minimal amount of products in my purse has meant a lot more use of the WA lip suede & Chanel liner.Keeping a minimal amount of products in my purse has meant a lot more use of the WA lip suede & Chanel liner.

And, here's what we've been waiting for - April's All Stars!

Look at that!Look at that!

This pan means a lot to me. I owe "Thank you's" to the phenomenal @heartsmyface for suggesting that I convert my smashed Tarte Paaarty blush into a tinted lip balm, and to all of you for your support of my panning efforts with the Tarte blush for nearly 3.5 years. It sure has been a roller coaster ride but we did it! Thank you, thank you!

Tarte Blush Paaarty pan.jpg

Never thought I'd hit pan on a blush, let alone this one. It's all thanks to y'all on this pan it! thread and the threads of years past. Happy I'm able to share this moment with you. Have to tag @ElleElleG - it's not a bottomless blush after all! 😅 We did it! 

I've really missed having the DIY tinted lip balm. Tarte Paarty wasn't something I reached for instinctively, which contributed to it taking so long to use it up, but the combination of Tarte Paarty + Laneige lip mask was a pair that I loved using. It really turned out to be a beautiful shade.

DIY lip - Laneige + Tarte.jpg

Last, but not least, a suprise pan - 

April 2023 Pan - ND.jpg

It's teeny tiny but that's pan on the Coco shade. You might have to blow up the photo to see it, but that there, my friends, is pan. 

April 2023 Pan - ND Coco.jpg

It's not Monroe (yet) @Samtian, but were making our way through the Biba palette.

You’re the queen @itsfi ♥️🥰🌹👍👏 I don’t think I will ever pan the WA lip palette 

You’re too kind @blackkitty2014! I’m always so impressed and inspired by what folks here pan and finish up! 😍 

She now offers refills for these lip palettes. All I can think of is that it’s taking me ages just to make a dent into one color. No way I’d be able to get to a place anytime soon where I’ll need a refill 😆 

@itsfi Okay ... the Partay/Lip Mask... I'm a fan.  It looks great!  So, now are you going to try this with another blush?  Shadow?  

Thank you @missjeanie; if only I had converted the blush into a lip balm earlier … ahhh, the things we learn along the way. 

If I have any blushes that are not getting used up and need to be, I’ll make them into lip balms. You know me - I’m much more likely to reach for a lip product than a blush. 😆 

For the prairie, freckle, buff & tone shadows in this palette, I plan to make them into lip balms. Maybe a side project for over the long weekend? 🤔 Nude lip colors can wash me out so I may need to mix in a red, pink or mauve shadow or blush with one or all of them to give add some color to them. Probably a red or pink shadow since I don’t do well with those as eyeshadows. 

@itsfi Ohhhhh I bet those are going to be gorgeous as a balm!

Oh yay 😀 @itsfi . Congratulations on the surprise Coco shadow pan. 👏 I’m working on panning the exact same flavor Laneige as well. I’ll be sad if I can’t replenish it though 

Thanks so much @blackkitty2014! Laneige should make a mini set (or even a full size) of all its limited edition lip mask flavors. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos367
  • ElleElleG_1-1672620471899.gif
  • 323719377_6362579213781693_6958070562248061353_n.jpg
  • 322838578_690758889456917_9136126654248884607_n.jpg
  • 322919583_558458072853999_1877845244737797897_n.jpg
  • 322980736_897123491718555_2385469364407629826_n.jpg
  • 322947343_1809401399419856_8586879920881013385_n.jpg
  • 322929963_2926471330819239_1629557705035522297_n.jpg
  • 322947066_697877798529069_6114966065287832166_n.jpg
  • 323545088_5899156633440909_8404832218144887405_n.jpg