Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

Hey all you cool cats and kittens, welcome to YEAR 6 of the Pan It Challenge!

ElleElleG_1-1672620471899.gif

**Join us in the 2024 thread available here: Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃 *this is the number one recommendation for everyone, regardless of how long you’ve been panning! Those photos add up and can help you realize progress you might otherwise overlook.
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Re: Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

@Samtian thanks!! it was extra satisfying because they were value sized. i kept a 1L of Cerave in the shower to wash my face on days i wash my hair (i have a thing about shampoo or conditioner somehow staying on my face and then causing breakouts - not sure if there is anything to my theory or not tbh), and i was sure id never see the end of that one, but it finally finished!

Feb. Classic Cool update & intro to March!

First, apologies for being unresponsive in the forums last 2+ weeks. There was a technical issue & I couldn't get signed in here so could not post, reply, or even like posts. Tried a bunch of things but had to get cust. service to help finally. They are awesome! 

----
Notes on Feb.:

Urban Decay Naked Smoky was great fun to use. I needed this time to mess with all the shades, again and again. It’s meant to be easy to blend and layer and is, but most shades do build up. My preferred shades were the greys and the mattes, but the warmer shimmers are fine, just too warm for my taste in general. Radar, the deeper one, is more my style than Dirtysweet. The light shimmers worked best for me when sheered out to a glisten. The brown matte-Whiskey--was better; it’s that nice final touch to warm up a dark eye look slightly so the shadow doesn’t read flat, b/c it’s not super warm except compared to the greys; and it makes for a good crease deepener, blended out well. I adored Password- a medium deep grey matte, best of all, enough that it became my go-to shade and a reason to keep this palette nearby often. I think Black Market—the black matte—is a great black for beginners since it’s so soft and easy to handle, and as I have several darker, more pigmented blacks already, it’s a nice addition to my stash. Smolder is a charcoal shimmer with blue/violet undertones, wicked shade. I want it made into a blush formula. Armor surprised me; a shimmery taupe-ish grey with very fine sparkle, it’s a shade I can imagine using more in conjunction with more colorful palettes, but it’s a good one & done for me too. The biggest surprise had to be the two light mattes, Combust & Thirteen, a beige and cream—they have a surprising amount of pigment for such light shades, they really show up easily on me, but can blend out to a whisper. Last thought—although I liked both Slanted and Dagger, middle to deep steel greys with shimmer, I think the whole palette would be fresher with just one of them, replacing whichever with a light soft grey or even better, a true navy matte. They are the only real repetition I found.

IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Pressed Powder, I’m still not sure about. It’s fine to set my under-eyes but not better than my several go-tos. As an allover face powder, it’s good, but didn’t make my one area with noticeable pores appear poreless. It’s very smoothing otherwise, I love how the shade blends in, but it’s a bit heavier than my preference when used with a brush so I had to apply by gently pressing in a small amount with a powder puff or my beauty blender. It could seem drying on me at times. Overall I think it’s best for oilier skins than mine, & it’s hard to be sure I won’t like it more in summer. My skin has been pretty dry lately till I finally picked up an essence (May Coop’s Raw Sauce) and I’m getting properly hydrated again. A decent powder, I guess, but not one to knock my faves off their pedestal.

Natasha Denona I Need a Nude in Amorosa was not the shade I expected from online pics when I first got it; thought it would be cooler and pinker, but it’s pretty warm on me and more caramel than pink. Disappointing! After a few uses I began to accept it for what it was and like it, which is why I put it in Feb.’s lineup. I used it tons at first, got tired of it, then remembered a trick from a YTer I used to watch, who always put concealer on first to make her lipstick stay true to color; I used a paler pinker one than my daily go-to, and suddenly Amorosa looked more natural on me, and I got more usage in.

Burberry My Burbery Blush (spray sample) was lovely all month. Didn’t finish it but made progress and decided it’s one I will likely purchase someday. Reminds me of something I used as a teen but is richer.

Pixi by Petra Lash Booster Mascara in Blackout Blue has been decluttered. Using it regularly was a chore; I guess I wanted to like it b/c a) love the shade, b) LOVE the brush and c) love Pixi and never hated any of their products before. Their Glow Tonic is amazeballs and I still mourn their concealer pen that put Touche Eclat to shame for giving better coverage while being just as light to layer. The Endless Silky Eye Pens are legendary. But all of that didn’t help the fact that it was dry yet messy, didn’t show up but was nearly impossible to take off even when used over other mascaras; & I lost lashes. Hated it so much, not sure if it was just older when I got it but-- it is history, though I’m keeping the brush if I can ever get it fully clean. It’s soaking right now.

Bareminerals Complexion Rescue in Vanilla is, as always, wonderful on me. It balances my skintone and looks healthy, showing my skin at its best, and makes my skin feel good. Going to put it away (not quite finished) for a bit, use it up in Spring then re-purchase immediately.

Spoiler
Pics of Feb.'s products: BeforeBeforenownowShowing use but not finishedShowing use but not finishedShowing use in the powder at leastShowing use in the powder at leastused but not showing it!used but not showing it!

March: Pushing Spring🥀

You probably know by now that I love my peachy makeup, especially cool peachy, in early Spring. There’s a lake of solid ice all around my house rn, so let’s call it would-be or proto-Spring; let’s pretend it’s closer than it is, okay? Okay.

Too Faced White Chocolate Chip mini eye palette: It’s back! Already have pan in 6 of 11 shades from a previous year. I’d like to use up one of those 6 completely and hit pan on a new shimmer shade as well. Planning to use this as a companion palette through March, as the neutrals always on hand in my daily stash.

Peek Metalimatte Naturally Quick Drying Cream Blush in A-Boo: It’s Back! With so much pan. I’d like to expand the pan further before this little guy goes off, and this is my prime season for the shade.

Bareminerals Cream Glaze Lip TopCoat in Pearl Glaze: one of my 2 fave glosses of all time, maybe still the top one. It’s from 2015, it’s the second one I’ve bought, and it’s too good to waste. Just want to amp up all my peachy vibes or mod-inspo looks this month, and it’s perfect with White Chip’s shades.

Aerin Wild Geranium Eau De Parfum Spray (sample) is a cool floral with a hint of spice, full of garden goodness. Hardly used, let’s change that.

2 Free Category items:

Hipdot Powder Blush in Solstice is a unique pale creamsicle shade, very different tone from Peek’s A-Boo. Will be interesting to mix & match them. Barely used, I’d like to make a dip at least.

Chella Highlighter Crayon in Ivory Lace is getting old even for a wood pencil. Usually kept in my purse makeup bag, for use on eyes or as a touch-up concealer. It’s very multi-purpose but I’ll be using it mostly for brightening my inner lashline or as a base for shadow.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Coordinated colorCoordinated colorto start withto start withLet's make a dip!Let's make a dip!Ah, love to love you, babyAh, love to love you, babyThis really does smell like fresh cut flowersThis really does smell like fresh cut flowersLet's make some more pan, shall we???Let's make some more pan, shall we???

Very excited to get working on these items. Spring, I'm ready for ya! That's all, thanks for reading.

Good job! @heavyhedon happy to hear the issue was resolved!

@lmaster -- thanks, o lovely one.😊

@heavyhedon I felt the exact same way about the IT cosmetics powder... it's fine, but like... nothing worth raving over.  I'm loving your usage on the Too Faced white chocolate chip so far.  I bet you'll rock it all month!

@missjeanie --thank you! I had higher hopes for that powder since the color in the pan is so much like my winter skintone sans makeup; oh well. 

Yeahy! You can log in again @heavyhedon 🙌💕

On the Community Feed Back Thread, where you can report bugs and glitches, I think I read about someone else having the same issue.

That's a great trick/tip for lipstick. I've never heard it before and I think that's very intriguing. Thanks for sharing that, I think we've all had a lippie that wasn't the colour we thought it would be 😋

Good luck in your March panning!

@CynthieLu -- thanks so much!

That’s a bummer you were having difficulty logging in but I’m so happy to hear that it’s been resolved @heavyhedon! Always fun to read about your progress and plans for the next month. Look 👀 at that amazing progress and usage! It’s all a matter of when, not if! 

Thanks @itsfi -- hit side pan on one of those little eyeshadows today, I'm definitely feeling it's when.

😍That’s awesome @heavyhedon! You are on your way!

@heavyhedon Glad you were able to get logged back in! I can't wait to watch your progress. I'm going to have to find a sample of the Aerin. 

Thanks, @Samtian . The Aerin is really long-lasting as well. One spritz at my knees and I was still smelling it hours later, when usually you stop being able to smell it on yourself 15-20 minutes later. I expect others will still be getting the scent as I walk by till midnight at least... If I were going anywhere.

🩵💙 Pan it Febuary Photo 🩵💙

I used up everything I planned to (minus the larger items that I'm still working through) but all the foils and some mini trial sizes. Woo hoo!

It feels great to clear these things out.

MTXX_MH20230228_175744531.jpg

My skin really enjoyed the Dr.Jart items 🤩

That's fantastic!! @CynthieLu 

@CynthieLu Great foil useage!!  I love the Dr. Jart too... Can't go wrong with most of their products.  Anything left to pan after all that??

I've made great progress @missjeanie defintley over half done my foil/ tester stash.

January was foils and testers I already knew I loved.

Febuary was items I wasn't reaching for and needed a push.

I have a few more ones I was saving as a treat 😋 that I'm really excited about. (And I'm still working through January's tester/large trail sizes. I've made good headway on everything thou)

I actually have quite a big stash of large trial sizes, mostly moisturizers, that specific area will take the longest I figure

Your skin has fabulous taste @CynthieLu! Loooove Dr Jart! ♥️♥️♥️ You finished so many foils; nice work!

@itsfi My skin fully agrees with you, Dr Jart is such a stand up brand for my skin and the results thier products consistently provide. 🤩 💛

@CynthieLu Wow great job!!!

Woop woop! My stash of samples is incredibly smaller now, it's a good thing @Samtian 😁

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos367
  • ElleElleG_1-1672620471899.gif
  • 323719377_6362579213781693_6958070562248061353_n.jpg
  • 322838578_690758889456917_9136126654248884607_n.jpg
  • 322919583_558458072853999_1877845244737797897_n.jpg
  • 322980736_897123491718555_2385469364407629826_n.jpg
  • 322947343_1809401399419856_8586879920881013385_n.jpg
  • 322929963_2926471330819239_1629557705035522297_n.jpg
  • 322947066_697877798529069_6114966065287832166_n.jpg
  • 323545088_5899156633440909_8404832218144887405_n.jpg