Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

Hey all you cool cats and kittens, welcome to YEAR 6 of the Pan It Challenge!

ElleElleG_1-1672620471899.gif

**Join us in the 2024 thread available here: Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃 *this is the number one recommendation for everyone, regardless of how long you’ve been panning! Those photos add up and can help you realize progress you might otherwise overlook.
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Re: Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

@CynthieLu -- TY! Every musician needs a muse, but in February in Buffalo, I kinda have to be my own most of the time.

January Update!

This month definitely flew by, but I've made some big moves in my pan project! I'll update this post with actual photos later, but here is my running total of what's been happening in my project!

Total items finished this month: 10

• 1 makeup product
  • 1 haircare product
  • 1 fragrance
  • 6 skincare products
  • 1 bodycare product

Items from my actual project: finished up the SDJ BBC and Nirvana Amethyst. Swapped these out for the Vaseline Clinical Care Cracked Heal Repair (still in progress) and the KVD Saint travel sized perfume. I still have a body spray to work though, and Saint is a spring/summer scent, so I'm not anticipating any progress on that for a few more months.

Notable products I've been working through:

• Ariana Grande Cloud Body Mist - i spray this on myself before I head to the gym, so this pan project is also serving as a barometer for how often I'm sticking to my fitness plan!
  • Nars crayon in Do Me Baby - this is gotta be approaching the end. it's gotten SO tiny!
  • Fenty Gloss Bomb
  • Bite Agave Lip Balm - i'm using this at night as part of my night skincare routine to get through this. shame it was discotineud because it's actaually so nice!
  • Loreal Infallible Powder Foundation - hit pan and watching it grow!
  • Huda Nude Obsessions Light - hit pan on one shade! i can see some dents in other shades, and i tried to start using some of the shades I havent gotten a ton of use out of
  • Nars mini Orgasm powder blush - hard to tell but there is a more prominent dent in the middle now. i hope to hit pan soonish!

January product fails

• I realized i dont like the BH cosmetics face palette. i used it maybe twice to see if i enjoyed it, and i dont. instead of forcing myself to use a product i really dont like, ive passed it along to a younger family member who may get better use out of it. i haven't replaced it in my pan project because i have a lot of other products i'm working through
  • ABH foundation and contour sticks - havent had a chance to use these, but keeping them around because i think i might
  • Nars Ignited - my autocorrect initally had this as Nars Ignored, and that would be an accurate description! i've focused on the Huda, and this hasnt gotten any love in Jan
  • PMG Mini MatteTrance in Obsessed - it's a little bright for the winter, but i think i'll be using this more when the weather warms up, so i don't anticipate too much progress on it till March or April
  • Rimmel Kohl eyeliner - i need to find a creative way to incorporate a black pencil liner into a more wearable/everyday routine

All in all, i'm happy with my progress! I knew i wouldnt be able to use all the products this month, so i think this is great! i'll take some pictures later to track the progress of the items i think i've seen progress on! if it's not in the photos, i havent used it enough at this point to have any progress to show, but i hopefully will soon! 

Nice re-cap @cianni !  That Huda palette looks like a great one to focus on.  Congrats on Pan!

Some photos with progress! I also added in the KVD saint that I’ll be adding into the challenge, now that my nirvana amethyst is done! It smells good still but as you can see, the color is getting a little off and that’s my sign it needs to be finished this year!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow @cianni! Fabulous progress, you're doing great! 😍

@itsfi thank you! i was a little sad at first seeing that baby pan, but now i want to hit pan on a shimmer 😍

@cianni ooh wow great work! Love seeing those pans!

@Samtian thank you! complexion products always feel like a win with those big pan sizes!

@cianni , woo, thanks for the pics, there's that lovely pan. I see what you mean about the Saint color change. Good inspo to use! Though it won't likely bother your skin or smell off for a looong time unlike old lotion. I have some vintage colognes, and I mean, 1980s old, that still do the job. 

@heavyhedon oh yeah, i definitely have older ones in my collection, but i figured finishing this one up was on the realistic side, and it's not a bottle i'd like to display anyways, so may as well make room for some newness 🙂

@cianni   You're doing fantastic, hitting pan, finishing so much, and I'd count decluttering the BH palette as a win; you found out you don't need or want it and gave it a good home.  

@heavyhedon it was a great reminder that i dont need to pick up everything i see just because the price is great!

Love reading your progress!! @cianni 

@lmaster thank you! i need to start implementing a "one in, one out" policy, so instead of decluttering (because i'm awful at it!), i just need to start using some things up!

@cianni  Wow terrific job with your panning 🤩

@Cissy63 thank you! i recently reorganized my makeup (my previous storage solution had run out of room), and was just shocked at how much I have so seeing any type of progress is a win for me! i normally breeze through skincare, but makeup is difficult!

@cianni  I totally agree!

‌‌❄️Getting to Know You‌‌ in Every🥀 Beautiful ‌‌🍃Season‌‌🍁

Hardcore Winter: January Update

My first set of items to use all month was:

Spoiler
pan it 2023 starting lineup 001.JPG

That went well! I made great use of the Ardency Inn Punker pencil eyeshadow and it’s near the end of its life—4/5 more uses, MAX, before it can’t be sharpened again. Had to sharpen for nearly every use to keep it blending nicely. It worked alright as an allover black base but better smudged as a liner underneath powder shadow to bring the smoke without getting lost under the color. I'm sure if I had been able to use it earlier it would have worked better, too.

Pics of then & now: 

Spoiler
You can see the whole name, thenYou can see the whole name, thenUsed, nowUsed, now

Pixi GingerBlossom Blush went with many moods, adding a touch of spicy warmth that wasn’t orange-y. Very good with the black based eye looks, too. A nice nude for all seasons. It was virtually brand new, so a month of use hasn’t quite worn off all of the brand embossment, but close. I’m putting it away for a few months now.

Spoiler
nownow

Besame’s 1963 Portrait Pink Lipstick was a delight to wear when I wasn’t busy coughing with an everlasting cold. It is good laid on thick, blotted, or glossed, but I love it best without gloss, just lightly applied & patted into the lip. It lasts through drinks and fades evenly when it finally fades. I’m going to try it soon with a matching powder on top for an even more velvety lip.

Spoiler
thenthenSome use showing nowSome use showing now

Jo Malone's Wood Sage & Sea Salt Cologne sample has been fun to wear, bringing me a bit of ocean vibe. I had to stop using for a couple weeks when hubs & I both were coughing a lot, but still used a decent amount & surely I can finish the sample later this year. Bear in mind, I can only use a single spritz of cologne per day or I'm prey to rashes.

Spoiler
ThenThennownow

ABH’s mini brow definer in Soft Brown is almost empty—one more use max, but as I re-dyed my hair and brows to a teal blue-black yesterday, it now gives an odd effect against the dark cool-toned hairs. It worked fine all month long on faded brows, but I’m retiring it till I need a replacement for the makeup bag in my purse or till my brows fade again; it’s just too warm now. It seems I didn't have the original pic of this with the pencil fully extended, but you can see how little is left, at least.

Spoiler
Now, just a nub.Now, just a nub.

See you all tomorrow for February's intro. That's all, thanks for reading!

@heavyhedon I love when you can see the progress on pencils through the label!  

@heavyhedon Wow great work!!!

Fabulous job!!! @heavyhedon 

14 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos367
  • ElleElleG_1-1672620471899.gif
  • 323719377_6362579213781693_6958070562248061353_n.jpg
  • 322838578_690758889456917_9136126654248884607_n.jpg
  • 322919583_558458072853999_1877845244737797897_n.jpg
  • 322980736_897123491718555_2385469364407629826_n.jpg