Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Love At First Sample!!! ๐Ÿฅฐ

I know youโ€™ve tried a sample (or ten) of something and it was so magical it made you stop everything and buy a product cause it was love at first sample!  What was it and did the full sized version live up to your initial heart-melted impression? Or is it still on your shopping list to pick up at your earliest convenience?  

The first time I can recall this happening to me was when Sephora still carried Dermadoctor.  I had a sample of their KP Duty Body Scrub.  I used it just to push it through my stash and was absolutely blown away by how immediately soft and exfoliated my skin was!  Instant purchase!   Itโ€™s been six years and I have yet to find any body scrub that compares -and Iโ€™ve tried!

A more recent love-at-first-sample is the Dior Backstage Face and Body Primer!  Itโ€™s a slightly peach tinted,creamy gel consistency and is mega hydrating while blurring subtle imperfections on its own but making foundation apply so smoothly!!!  Plus it has a beautiful floral fragrance which may not be everyoneโ€™s cup of tea but itโ€™s very pleasing to me. ๐Ÿ™‚  

Dior BACKSTAGE Face & Body Primer 1.6 oz/ 50 mL 

DD1045C5-8116-4168-8E3F-956F889C7256.gif

โ€ƒ

3A43182D-7CF8-4635-A0A3-6C4D9C155F6A.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Re: Love At First Sample!!! ๐Ÿฅฐ

@CynthieLu  I have a bunch of foils from this brand. I need to dig them out and try them!!!! 

I've been on a concealer kick, lately. Benefit Cosmetics Boi-ing Cakeless Full Coverage Waterproof Liquid Concealer recently caught my attention. A little of this stuff goes a loooong way and it does hold up well. I haven't (yet) tested its waterproof claims but it has performed nicely in heat and humidity. @heartsmyface 

Benefit Concealer.jpg

@itsfi  Oh gosh I havenโ€™t used that stuff in years!!!!!  I used to LOVE BOing back in the day when it came in little pod jars! I love the pencil packaging much more!!   If I recall itโ€™s pretty thick and high coverage right?  

Heat and humidity are truly the ultimate test.  If it survives actual water and the friction of drying thereโ€™s an issue๐Ÿ˜„
 Okay are those erasers sponges?   I must know!  

@heartsmyface, it was a throwback to see this - yes, the little jars! The pencil packaging is so much better, in my opinion, at least. Yes, yes, good memory, the previous version was thiiiiick and full coverage. This one is still high coverage and it is on the thicker side but I feel like the formulation is much less thick than when it was in the pot, possibly having to do with it coming in a tube with a large doe foot applicator. It's not a liquid formulation, it's creamy and thick-ish that's for sure, but this one seems like this one offers more fluidity to it. That said, I find that for the under eyes, I need to focus on one side at a time (as opposed to placing a few dots under the eyes on both sides and then working on one eye at a time. 

Oh my goodness, that would have been a brilliant idea if the eraser was an actual eraser. It's just for show here. We need to get you on a development team - you have amazing ideas! 

This Boi-ing concealer was a happy stroll down memory lane, with all its updates. Benefit seems to be revamping some of its older product lines, either packaging-wise or adding to the range of some of its staples - I just picked up a foil sample of the pore-fessional. I'm hoping they bring back another of their jar products, the lemon-aid. ๐Ÿคž

@itsfi  This one some how got past my radar. I use to love the old version of these. Bonus points for it matching your nails and being on theme of back to school ๐Ÿ˜‰

@ather. yeah, I had a whole back-to-school theme I wanted to try putting together - it lived in my mind as far back as June, but by the time it should have happened, I was caught up and distracted by other things, like work and some me time. ๐Ÿ˜„ 

Benefit had some products way back when that they seem to be bringing back in an updated form of some sort - packaging, formulation, etc. Makes me think of how my makeup choices then are different (or the same in some cases) than they are now. 

@itsfi  I love that you had this planned since June! Thatโ€™s the best!!

I agree my makeup style has definitely changed over the years!!! But I think the trends also change too. I like how things are more acceptable and you can just do what makes you happy!!! 

@ather  Ahhh I just said that!  yeah it was a HG product that would cover anything!   

@heartsmyface  I agree!!! 

Sunday Riley C.E.O. Glow Vitamin C + Turmeric Face Oil 1.18 oz/ 35 mL  

Smashbox Classic Primer Duo 

Viktor&Rolf Flowerbomb Eau de Parfum Set 

these are the last samples that I used and

repurchased from samples 

@jessie416, great products!! ๐Ÿ˜ The Sunday Riley oil is wonderful - that entire line is great! Love the Ilia serum too!

@jessie416  Oh no!  I have a weakness for SR products and havenโ€™t tried this oneโ€ฆ. I thinkโ€ฆ. Itโ€™s going on my sale list.  
Iโ€™ve heard good things about the Ilia but absolutely must not try new foundations til I get through a bottle or two๐Ÿ˜

Yes to both @heartsmyface! SR has a new(ish) moisturizer from that line that feels really nice. I think I need to do a comparison with that and my beloved Laneige Radian-C cream. Okay, 

@jessie416  Canโ€™t go wrong with SR CEO!!

This wasnโ€™t a true sample, but it was a Reward for 100 points amika Fadeblock Pre-Shampoo Color Seal 5 oz/ 150 mL .  I chose 1 reward each on 2 separate orders before I purchased a FS tube.  I thought it helped hold the color in my hair

@Cissy63, I just got back into coloring / highlighting my hair and your feedback of this helping to "hold the color" in your hair sounds fabulous! 

P.S. This is absolutely a true sample! Samples come in all shapes and sizes - foils, deluxe, mini. 

Hi @itsfi . I found my roots did not show as soon as they did prior to using it 

That's fantastic @Cissy63๐Ÿ˜ I'm gonna sort through my hair samples to see if I have this one.

@Cissy63  Do you apply a leave in conditioner first before โ€˜sealingโ€™ the cuticle? 

Hi @heartsmyface !  No I donโ€™t apply a leave in conditioner prior to using the product.   I use it on its own prior to shampoo use.   I saturate my hair with it, in particular the roots, and spread it out to the rest of my hair. I leave it on for 1-3 minutes.  Then jump in the shower and rinse it out.  The shampoo and conditioner as usual.

@Cissy63  Ooooo I can remember loving this one from a foil too!!

353 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos23
  • 3A43182D-7CF8-4635-A0A3-6C4D9C155F6A.jpeg
  • DD1045C5-8116-4168-8E3F-956F889C7256.gif
  • Sample 2 Full Size - Lancoฬ‚me.jpeg
  • Photo from US Lookfantastic site
  • D009A711-0D6A-4BED-9508-2474B3E39253.jpeg
  • Benefit Concealer.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220826-133617_Chrome.jpg
  • Saint Jane SPF.jpg
  • 560dce3d-8ba7-5b69-8453-7a5e70aced25.jpeg.jpg