Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

It Didn't Work For Me.......

i don't want this to be a hates or bashing thread. more of a general "i tried this thing and it clearly wasn't meant for me" rather than a "this is crap !" sort of discussion, if that distinction makes sense.....

i find these sorts of discussions helpful. you can learn 1. that you're not alone, or that 2. you were using a thing incorrectly and maybe it's worth another try or 3. that a thing you were considering spending your money on may not be worth the risk after all (though i'd take this last possibility with a grain of salt; everyone is different !!)

i'll post my list below 🙂

Re: It Didn't Work For Me.......

I used to love First Aid Beauty products, especially in the winter when my skin gets really dry. I gave their tinted moisturizer a try a while back and it was definitely not for me. The lightest color was way too yellow for my more cool/neutral undertones. Blended out okay, but the next day my skin was rough and scaley. It was a weird texture that was itchy and not fun. It was the only new makeup I had on, so I returned it. So I would say not a product suited for fairer skin tones or sensitive skin.

aw, I liked that one (got a sample).  not sure if it was the lightest one, since there wasn't a name, just a dot lol.

I got a free rewards mini of Sol de Janeiro Coco Cabana Body Cream - With New Coconut Scent and Plush Moisture 8.1 oz/ 240 mL.  I love coconut, and was excited to try it since ppl seem to love this line.  The packaging is cute, although it only looks half full.  It smells nice and coconutty at first, but then once you put it on I notice the slight "buttered popcorn" smell that ppl were talking about, but I like the sweet 'n salty combo - kinda like pralines.  But the actual lotion just seems like the cheap drugstore kind, watery, sticky - feels nice at first, but then you realize it doesn't really do anything, and is just a cheap vehicle for perfume.  I like the scent, but it's just as overpriced as I thought it was, unless you just want it for the smell.  I might look into the perfume spray though... Smiley Very Happy

I know! @treestar86 I bought another one to see how much...

I know! @treestar86 I bought another one to see how much of the scent has changed... doesn't seem to of changed much 🙄

It's odd either way. I've had different versions of the s...

It's odd either way. I've had different versions of the scent and the same time. I think certain sets still had the older scent and some samples had the new one. The new one is lighter IMO, but it has a Windex/cleaner note to it. I think it's better than the candied popcorn, but not the co-conutty scent I was looking for.

Re: I know! @treestar86 I bought another one to see how much...

@lmaster  lol, it was the scent I liked 😛  there was a set on clearance a while ago, but then when I looked at the reviews I decided not to get it.  maybe they'll have it on clearance again lol.

@treestar86 😆 I thought you were saying you liked the scent in the jar, but not after it was applied! 🤦 Now I see,, it was the texture you didn't like, it definitely is much different than the bum bum cream

ahh @lmaster  well it did make me want to go get some popcorn + coconut jelly beans (which are the best ones anyway, lol).

I haven't tried that one, but I probably have a sample somewhere lol.

It Didn't Work For Me.......

For me, it is the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. I've tried it a few times and each time my face feels like it's smothering. It literally feels like it's clogging every pore and is cutting off oxygen to my face. I immediately need to wash it off. I have older but oily skin and it absolutely doesn't work for my skin type.

@curlychiquita Thanks for the heads up!! I've thought of trying this but hate a heavy feeling coverage!! I can just feel my pores saying "help me, help me"!!!😩 Sorry it didn't work out. 

I am so glad you posted this @curlychiquita so many times...

I am so glad you posted this @curlychiquita so many times I've contemplated this, and I think I would probably feel the same way!

RE: It Didn't Work For Me.......

if you have sensitive eyes, Caudalie’s cleansing oil is great. takes everything off. also Tatcha’s Camellia cleansing oil is also really good for an oil cleanser as well. these two are my fav, one is price point friendly and the other a little luxe. Both great products.

I haven't had any luck with cleansing oils.  The first one I tried was MAC Cleanse Off Oil.  A friend gifted it to me, so I tried it really quickly (i.e. I didn't look at the ingredient list, which is rare for me).  It did an amazing job removing eye makeup.  The problem?  It stung my under eye area, which is likely due to the orange and lavender oils.

I was still intrigued by the concept, so I tried Paula's Choice Perfect Cleansing Oil.  It did a pretty good job of removing the eye makeup, but this one stung my eyes a little too much for comfort.  I was shocked, as I have really enjoyed everything from that brand.

I finally just tried CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Cleansing Oil 6.7 oz/ 200 mL

only to find myself disappointed.  I thought it did a rather poor job of removing eye  makeup, and my upper waterline stung a bit.  Plus, way too much came out of the pump no matter what I did.

I think I need to give it a rest...kind of like a three strikes and you're out 😞

@greeneyedgirl107 I'm searching for one too and haven't found one that wins me over. I did not have success with Boscia's makeup breakup cleansing oil so I wouldn't recommend it. I tried the Clinique cleansing balm but dont like warming it up to make it an oil, but back to the point, agree that it was okay and didn't remove it all. If I find something I'll let you know. Maybe one of the suggestions below will help. But I feel your frustration.

Glad to know I'm not alone @ShortErica !

I like DHC’s cleansing oil. With that said I still prefer cleansing balms over oils. 

the best one I've tried is fresh seaberry cleansing oil @...

the best one I've tried is fresh seaberry cleansing oil @GreenEyedGirl107

Re: the best one I've tried is fresh seaberry cleansing oil @...

@lmaster yesss I love the Fresh one! I also really like tatcha's cleansing oil.

Re: the best one I've tried is fresh seaberry cleansing oil @...

@elise222 I used both back to back, and I definitely prefer Fresh Seaberry Skin Nutrition Cleansing Oilit just is easier to smooth all over your skin and feels lighter to me

RE: Re: It Didn't Work For Me.......

One Love Organics Vitamin B Enzyme Cleansing Oil & Makeup Remover 4oz ($42) is really good. They sell it at Pharmaca.com, but probably at other places too. It takes off all makeup, including eye make up, and it smells really good. I haven’t tried it on waterproof make up. I tried samples of Clinique Take the day off and it doesn’t work. Eve Lom, didn’t do a complete job, but was better than Clinique.
461 Replies