Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

It Didn't Work For Me.......

i don't want this to be a hates or bashing thread. more of a general "i tried this thing and it clearly wasn't meant for me" rather than a "this is crap !" sort of discussion, if that distinction makes sense.....

i find these sorts of discussions helpful. you can learn 1. that you're not alone, or that 2. you were using a thing incorrectly and maybe it's worth another try or 3. that a thing you were considering spending your money on may not be worth the risk after all (though i'd take this last possibility with a grain of salt; everyone is different !!)

i'll post my list below Smiley Happy

Re: It Didn't Work For Me.......

BRIOGEO - Scalp Revival Charcoal + Tea Tree Scalp Treatment

I find this did nothing for me. I bought this specifically during winter when my scalp was itchy & flaky. I wanted to love this so much, but sadly, it felt like I was putting nothing on my scalp. 

RE: It Didn't Work For Me.......

I was excited to try Herbivore’s Pink Cloud Rosewater moisturizing cream - but from the first (and only) use I could tell it wasn’t going to work for me. I’ve used Clinique’s moisture surge gel for as long as I can remember & find that it absorbs much better and just leaves my skin feeling more hydrated & balanced. (As a side note, I had every intention of returning the PC-R and unfortunately forgot to mail it in. 🤷‍♀️ If anyone here wants to make a trade, feel free to send me a message!)

Dear NARS, 

I adore your Audacious lipsticks, highlighting powders, many of your eyeliners, and lipliners. Radiant Creamy’s been my go-to concealer for quite some time. And I always tell folks “if I could recommend only one NARS product to everyone, it’d be their blushes.” I’m not exaggerating about that: most of my blushes are yours and I love all that I own, even Exhibit A (aka Pikachu Cheekifyer if you’re not lighthanded with it). Yours are still my favorite blushes, hands down. 

But NARS, we need to talk about Orgasm. 

I know you say the Orgasm blush is universally flattering. I dare you to see it on my face and still make that claim. Smiley Very Happy Heck, I dare you to find it on my face at all once I’ve applied it. Oh sure, the gold shimmer will give away its location—but will you see any pretty peachy pink flush? No you will not. Because Orgasm’s too pale for my skin tone(s). Don’t fight me on this, NARS. I gave Orgasm several chances a few years ago and they did not end well. If I only wanted gold shimmer, I’d just use one of your fabulous highlight powders and call it a day. The shimmer doesn’t make this shade universal. And this shade is a complete failure on my cheeks. 

Thankfully, you also made the Outlaw blush—what I call “Orgasm for deeper skin tones.” Outlaw is perfect on me. It’s everything Orgasm should be. I wish you’d release an oversized pan of Outlaw instead of (or in addition to) Orgasm for once. Yeah, I know Orgasm’s “special” and it’s celebrating its 20th anniversary this year and whatnot, but I’d rather celebrate a shade that works for me. Maybe I’m the only deeper skintoned person it doesn’t work on. But it doesn’t. Smiley Sad 

Don’t worry NARS, I still love you though. 

❤️ WinglessOne 

@WinglessOne Idk if It's my undertone or what but I never felt like Orgasm worked for me either. I went through a full pan (it was my first high end blush and the only pricey one I owned for a long time) but now that I have so many to choose from I have no idea why I bought it and used it up. I love so many other NARS blushes that I like- Amour, Torrid, and Madly. Super Orgasm was not good though.

Note to self. Don’t spend $98 on something you’ve never tested!

I hope I don’t get any heat from Tom Ford fans (bc I really really love a lot of TF products) but this Radiant Moisture Soufflé did not work for me at all. It wasn’t radiant and it wasn’t moisturizing. Tho it thankfully didn’t dry my skin out it didn’t provide much benefit and that’s the disappointing part of this expensive product. 

08DA1789-E48D-41FA-A677-2BCC1E2E7FF8.jpeg

@trishavt I love love Tom Ford stuffs but this one is just another overpriced junk that the company released. Don’t know why ppl love it. It took me a long long time to finish this just because I can’t toss a $98 jar away.😂🤣😭

@trishavt  I still don’t own any Tom Ford products, mostly because so many friends have complained about the lipsticks going bad in too short a timeframe. It reminds me of all my Too Faced Melted Mattes that went bad in their tubes within 4-6 months. At least that “TF” was a less expensive unpleasant surprise than the other would’ve been. Smiley Very Happy 

@trishavt   I'm very susceptible to marketing and reviews myself; I would have done the same thing.  

@Ispend2much6 Yep they got a good marketing team! I don’t dislike TF but now realize it’s too expensive for what you get. 

@trishavt  Sorry this didn’t work out for you! 😕 I must admit that I’m pretty tentative about trying anything Tom Ford (apart from lipstick) because the prices are so high and the reviews are not always solid. 

@PinkEvergreen My thinking now is “test it first” then think about how much I need it. If I manage to forget about it then good. If I feel some sort of connection or strong desire to buy an item then ask myself why and if I can find something cheaper that does the same thing. 

It makes me really sad to say this about a Lancome product, but I  didn't care for the L'Absolu Lacquers at all.

The shades are absolutely beautiful, but the consistency is that really runny liquid lipstick that spreads quickly, and has an odd odor (to me anyway.)  It makes my lips peel.

Also, when it dries, it keeps this tacky feel that never goes away, and feels like I have something stuck on my lips or teeth.

@Ispend2much6  Aw, sorry they don’t work for you! Smiley Sad I find that 2-3 coats (medium-full opacity) is far less sticky than a single coat, and anything over 3 coats will get weirdly patchy/cakey. (Which is probably why Lancôme calls 3 coats done.) But you’re the first person I’ve heard say this formula causes a lip peeling bad reaction. Yikes! 😮 Definitely good reason for you to discontinue use of these. 

@WinglessOne   I was hoping you wouldn't see this post. Smiley Wink  

I just looked up the ingredients; plain ol' alcohol, not the stearate kind that is an emulsifier, is the seventh highest ingredient.

That explains my reaction.  If I use a product on my face that contains it, even Tatcha's Camellia oil, I will feel a burn.  It increases proportionately with the amount of alcohol in the product.  I love Alpha H's Beauty Sleep Power Peel, but cannot use their popular Liquid Gold at all for that reason.

My skin is probably extra sensitive because of the medical issues I have to deal with.

@Ispend2much6  Heh, no worries: some things that work great for others are utter failures on me, too, so I don’t expect stuff I love to work perfectly on EVERYone. Smiley Happy I’m sad these didn’t work for you, but ingredient sensitivities are completely understandable. I’m allergic to benzoyl peroxide—I don’t just get the typical rash reaction, I break out in hives and must immediately down antihistamines—so there are lots of things I can’t even touch that others swear by. Hooray for skin sensitivities! 

@WinglessOne   That must be a tough one.  Benzoyl peroxide is in almost everything.  I think we need to keep an Epi-pen handy!

@Ispend2much6  I bought several and they aren’t my favourite. They dry down oddly on my lips and I don’t find them comfortable. 

@PinkEvergreen   I honestly thought I would be the only one who thought that!  Oh well, there's plenty of other things to buy. Smiley Wink

SK-II - Facial Treatment Cleanser

It says that this is supposed to be a "An ultra-hydrating facial cleanser that gently cleans and conditions, leaving your skin fresh and smooth."

My God, this is the most drying cleanser I have ever tried in my life. I've tried this on it's own and after using a cleansing balm and both ways made my skin painfully dry (I have combination skin). I am honestly baffled that this can work for anyone, but it still has good reviews on Sephora.

I forgot if I posted it before but the entire Drunk Elephant line did not work for me. I got bad cysts. Its too bad since so many people love the line!

433 Replies