Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Bath & Body
|

Self Tanning/Spray Tan - Dos, Don'ts and Funny Stories

It's the time of year where everyone wants that beautiful sun kissed glow. Thankfully we have a wide range of good quality self tanners available to us now so we are not exposed to harmful rays.  What is your favorite self tanner and why? Share any helpful tips on application, what NOT to do and any funny stories you'd like to share.

spray-tan-7.jpg

Re: Self Tanning/Spray Tan - Dos, Don'ts and Funny Stories

I've been using up my self tanning mousse and not sure if it's the brand I'm using or it this will go for any of the mousse tanners, but whenever I use it, I feel like my body traps in the heat and I have turn up my air conditioning cause I feel like I'm having a constant hot flash lol.  I don't have the problem when I'm using my tanning lotion, it's only when I use the mousse.  Am I just weird?

@AMK721 I love St. Tropez Tanning Lotion in Dark.  IMO it's the best one out there.  My only problem is that when I put on Retin-A, it totally removes all of my tan.  If anyone knows of a way I can have my cake and eat it too - please let me know!

@greeneyedgirl107 - Are you using both products at the same time of day?  If you are, try using one in the morning and one at night.

@Titian06 I would use the self-tanner one evening, then the next evening I would use the Retin-A...by the following morning my tan would be gone.  I guess that kinda shows how well the Retin-A works, though!

@greeneyedgirl107 - OMGosh!  That's amazing!  I did look at the precautions on the product page for St Tropez lotion (out of curiosity) and it just gives the usual precautions; nothing about Retinol use or other treatment.

I suggest looking at the FAQs page on the company's website.  If there's nothing there, contact the company.  Let them know what's going on (especially since it's not "just you").  At the very least, they need to add this to their precautions (say that).  Otherwise, maybe they have a resolution to this issue, which they should include on their FAQs page.  You could add it to this thread.

@Titian06 I e-mailed the company.  If they respond with a resolution or precaution, I will post it.  I just hope they get back to be sooner than FAB did when I had a question for them.

Good point @greeneyedgirl107 I guess I never thought about my Retin-A removing the tan from my face. My face is always much paler than my body, so that explains a lot lol. 

do I feel silly.jpg

@AMK721 At least I'm not the only one that has been experiencing that!

I've only started using self tanner this year and only on my face - I tend to use SPF 50 vs. SPF 30 on my body, and since I'm more careful with reapplying sunscreen on my face, my face tends to be much paler. 

I've used about 18 of the Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow pads since the end of April to keep my face closer to my body colour and really, really like them. The tan is subtle and lasts 2-3 days so I only use 2-3 towelettes per week. The bonus is I get my AHA and BHA exfoliation in too, and I like these much, much more than the regular line of Alpha Beta peel pads because these don't have alcohol listed as an ingredient. 

I use these in the AM and let sit for a few minutes before applying my other moisturizing serums. Already considering purchasing my next box!

@k617  I need to know more about these Dr. Dennis Gross pads!  I've never used a self tanning towelette.  I'm assuming one is enough per use. Do you need to wear gloves?  I definitely need to look into these.

@AMK721 Yes, they are single use but I think you could get away with snipping them in half. Usually one side of the towelette is enough to cover my entire face, the other side I use for my neck (but by this time it's significantly drier) with the other side used already.

No need to wear gloves, but they do advise that you wash your hands immediately after!

I've been experimenting with a few different kinds of self tanner:  St. Tropez Gradual Tan Lotion, St. Tropez Gradual Tan Mousse and Vita Liberata Body Blur.  So far Vita Liberata has the best color pay off right away.  The two St. Tropez self tanners are gradual so it takes time to build up. I really like how the mousse goes on I just wish the color pay off was darker and quicker.  So important to use a mitt!  It makes application and clean up so easy. 

Spoiler
St. Tropez Gradual.jpg

St. Tropez Gradual Mousse.jpg

Vita Liberata.jpg

@AMK721 - I still haven't bought a self-tanner.  I've been following this thread from the beginning.  I'm hoping it will help me make a decision.  You're my guinea pig!  😄

@Titian06there are so many great self tanners out there. You might want to try one of the gradual lotions or mousse formulas since they are lighter and you can try them out without going from 0 to 100 in one application. 

@AMK721I really love the Vita Liberata Body Blur because of the fact that I can wash it off in the shower. It's really I like makeup for my legs that doesn't transfer at all once it is set. I've also used it on my face, like you've mentioned before, for a more uniform look and even on days I wanted a nice easy liquid bronzer.  I find the colour is very natural and buildable and not orange at all on my NC10/NarsMontBlanc winter skin.  Since it's not an actual "tanner" per say, I don't bother with a mitt as I find I just wash my hands right after with some soap and water.  I also really like the "blurring" effect on my legs.  tip: I mix a few drops of jojoba oil in to add some moisture and it is perfection!  I just need to blend blend blend to avoid streaks and even colour.  Have fun!

@blushnglowooooo I like the idea of mixing in oil since I have dry skin.  Thanks for the tip!

I love the Body Blur - I'm not a huge self tanner user but love the body blur for special occasions. It does the trick and is really easy to apply without having to wait etc.

I agree @Ikon you can see the results right away and I like that.

Bumping this thread. I am still using the JM Argan Liquid Gold Self Tanning Oil once a week and I am very happy with the results. My faux tan is very believable. 

I have a question. Could I use a facial mask while Self Tanning? Also has anybody tried the St Tropez Self Tanning Mask? I have not seen much feedback on this product.

@Loretta55I've been self tanning the last several weeks and using a face mask should be fine as long as you are not doing one right after the other.  You'll need to let your skin completely dry between these two.  I usually do my self tanning in the morning. Face mask or other facial treatments I do at night and I haven't had a problem.

41 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 41 replies
  • 69 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos7
  • spray-tan-7.jpg
  • Green Legs.jpg
  • self-tanner-social.png
  • St. Tropez Gradual.jpg
  • St. Tropez Gradual Mousse.jpg
  • Vita Liberata.jpg