Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

WHY IS COLLAGEN SO IMPORTANT FOR SKIN HEALTH?

You may have noticed that collagen has become a bit of a trend in the health, beauty and wellness world. And everyday there is a new skincare product, supplement or article touting its benefits.

But with so many formulas, variations and sources of collagen now on the market – marine, animal, hydrolyzed, powdered, liquid – it can be confusing to know where to start.

image.png

BUT FIRST, WHAT IS COLLAGEN?

As the most abundant protein in our bodies, collagen plays an essential role in the health of our bones, joints and connective tissues, muscles, gut, nails, hair and skin. In fact, 75–80 percent of the skin’s structure is made up of collagen –  so ensuring we support our body’s production of it is super important if we want to enjoy a healthy, glowing complexion.

Our bodies naturally make collagen by combining amino acids – from protein-rich foods such as lean meat, fish, dairy and eggs – with key vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, zinc and copper. The trouble is however, that as we age, our body’s ability to produce and synthesize collagen naturally declines, leading to fine lines and wrinkles, sagging, dull and lackluster skin.

THE GUT-SKIN-COLLAGEN CONNECTION

Where there is gut inflammation, there will be skin inflammation and this means an accelerated decline of collagen and elastin as well as susceptibility to skin problems– including acne, congestion and eczema. Although our production and ability to synthesize collagen decreases with age, our diet and lifestyle choices as well as our exposure to free radicals and oxidative stress can also influence the rate at which collagen declines. This is why eating foods rich in antioxidants is so important as antioxidants help to combat the effects of free radicals, which attack collagen.

As Carla always says, ‘beauty begins in the belly’ so nourishing your body with nutrient-dense wholefoods will not only improve your gut health and decrease inflammation, but the ripple effect is that your skin will glow from the inside, out.

HOW TO BOOST YOUR COLLAGEN INTAKE

Try bone broth. There is nothing more nourishing to the gut than bone broth. Rich in glycine – the amino acid that helps to protect and strengthen our gut – as well as proline – which supports collagen production – and L-glutamine – which strengthens the intestinal barrier, bone broth is incredibly anti-inflammatory, helping to reduce both gut and skin inflammation.

Supplement wisely. It can be super confusing choosing a collagen supplement and while there are a myriad of both animal and marine collagen options now available, what is even more important for skin health is choosing a supplement that contains ingredients that support our body’s natural production and ability to synthesise collagen, rather than collagen protein alone. Our COLLAGEN Inner Beauty Boost, for example, is a beauty-boosting elixir that is packed with antioxidant-rich superfoods – including maqui berry, papaya, pomegranate, blueberry and acai – which help to boost your body’s natural collagen production. All the ingredients have also been supercharged by our exclusive bio-fermentation process – Flora Culture™ – which means the final formula contains gut-loving probiotic bacteria to support gut health and promote glowing skin from within.

Up your intake of vitamin C. When it comes to collagen synthesis, vitamin C is of supreme importance. It also helps to boost the body’s levels of glutathione – the master antioxidant produced by the body to combat free radical and oxidative damage, helping to prevent cellular ageing. Good sources of vitamin C include dark leafy greens, Brussels sprouts, citrus fruits, broccoli and strawberries – as well as our GLOW Inner Beauty Powder and COLLAGEN Inner Beauty Boost.

Have you added COLLAGEN Inner Beauty Boost to your inner beauty routine?

Re: WHY IS COLLAGEN SO IMPORTANT FOR SKIN HEALTH?

6544CD2D-ECA1-4B24-9028-1D62F83584EC.jpeg

I have added collagen to my beauty regimen and it is doing what I want for my skin hair and nails especially but one thing I am concerned about is it is causing me to poop more than usual is this normal? This is the on e I am taking.

@TheBeautyChef this is a great read! I definitely learned a few things. I’ll be sure to check out the Collagen next time I’m in the US!

@TheBeautyChef I tried it and love it. The hydration formula is my favorite for flavor but collage taste good also. 

Hi @Indy70!

We are so thrilled to hear you are enjoying our inner beauty range!

xx

The Beauty Chef

@TheBeautyChefthank you for posting this! When will your products be available on Sephora Canada? Thank you!

Hi @veronika23!

We are so glad you found this information helpful!  Unfortunately, we don't have any information on when our products will be available on Sephora Canada.

We hope you enjoy and try our range of Inner Beauty products!

xx

The Beauty Chef

@TheBeautyChef  can't try them if we can't buy them! 😉

@TheBeautyChef This was a great read! I use a topical collagen product and it's done wonders for my skin. Is @TheBeautyChef going to be sold in Canada soon? I'd love to try Collagen Inner Beauty Boost.

Hi @GG84!

We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed our article!  We unfortunately, do not have any information on when our range will be available on Sephora Canada.  If you are ever in the US, pop into the local Sephora- Collagen Inner Beauty Boost and Glow Inner Beauty Powder can be found at every Sephora in the US!

xx

The Beauty Chef

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 17 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos2
  • image.png
  • 6544CD2D-ECA1-4B24-9028-1D62F83584EC.jpeg
testing