Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

30 something Makeup Routine

I recently turned 34 and I feel like my age is officially showing. I’ve used It Cosmetics or Nars Sheer Glow foundation for years. It Cosmetics is my usual go to. In recent months, I feel like it is really showing my under eye and forehead wrinkles. I use a good eye cream, exfoliate with Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel Pads 60 Treatments  every other day, and use serums. I’m just looking for any makeup products or tips anyone has to get a good coverage foundation without looking older than I already am. I’m also prone to acne so that is adding a layer of frustration! Any tips?

Re: 30 something Makeup Routine

I’ll be 35 this year and I feel like I too now look my age! I have a tendency to furrow my brow when reading or looking at a screen so I have deep “11”s now. I’ve noticed that when I use foundation, it sinks into my wrinkles and makes me look older. 
I started using tinted facial oils instead and it has been amazing. My skin just absorbs the oil so it doesn’t sit in my wrinkles. 
I recommend trying one of the brands Sephora carries like Kosas Tinted Face Oil Comfy Skin Tint 

@JCassidy05 Once thing I'd suggest is making sure you're skin is well hydrated and moisturized. As we age, that hydration factor often needs to be kicked up. What are you currently using for moisturizer? You may want to add a hydrating toner or an oil to your routine to help. 

Also, I'm going to disagree with the below advice on the makeup. So much of beauty is YMMV, so find what best works for you. I'll be 40 next month and still wear full-coverage foundations and finishing powder every time I use foundation. It doesn't age me- if you're aren't packing it on, it can look very natural. I do like setting spray occasionally, but it just doesn't give me the longevity or flawless finish that a powder does. 

I definitely agree with the other reply about keeping your skin hydrated. I’d say 1) add a retinoid (I swear by The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% emulsion.  And it’s not expensive to try at all. I apply this after washing my face at night and then add Vitamin C over the top (I like Ole Henrikson/Sunday Riley or The Ordinary are my go to).  I also use Josie Maran argan oil/Skin Dope in the morning and mix it with my concealer (it’s really sunscreen/City Block 40 SPF). For foundation, I use a tinted moisturizer or try gel-based foundation. The biggest help for me is to use the damp sponge when applying, especially around the eyes.  Don’t forget to drink water, too!!

Totally agree with every skin being different! And also what your aims are w/your look. I’m so jealous you can still effectively use a powder finish! I absolutely miss that 🙁. I’ve tried so many amazing ones over the last five years, but ultimately gave them up. I may just have deeper wrinkles, too! 😂 Badges of honor for getting through two recessions. 

Neither of us mentioned it, but would you also add primer to the list? I absolutely would. Eye makeup primer and separate facial skin primer. I think that may not strictly be “fine lines,” though. People are pretty well-versed in these now so I didn’t know if it was worth mentioning. 

Thank you for the advice! I currently use First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration 6 oz/ 170 g as my moisturizer. I also use either Osea Hydrating Oil or Josie Maran Holiday Argan Oil when my skin is more dry. I also recently ordered Le Prunier to try, but it’s on backorder. I have combination and sensitive skin, so it can be a battle to find the right products that won’t irritate me or cause me to breakout. I ordered the Armani Beauty Luminous Silk Perfect Glow Flawless Oil-Free Foundation so I’m excited to try that. I can use any tips to help prevent makeup from caking into wrinkles and fine lines so I appreciate the help!

Hi JCassidy! While I don’t have a ton of advice, I have a couple quick thoughts (anyone can disagree of course) as I’m 39 so I was you 5 years ago and used the exact same foundation. 
1. I stopped using setting powders completely and switched to only using UD makeup setting spray (you didn’t say you use powders, but just in case!)

2. Even though full coverage is tempting, as you age it looks worse, so I switched to more of a “covering sections that really need it” than just putting foundation on every square centimeter. 
3. I switched to Armani luminous silk from NARS. It’s more expensive, looks better on aging skin, imo. 
4. Less is now more. Anything you add can so easily fall into wrinkles so dab dab dab extremely lightly. As you age you will get more compliments on “glow” versus “lack of flaws.” Honestly, this is a healthy overall life perspective! Health first, screw perfection.

5. Oils first, then creams, coverage, then color

6. Even with acne, you HAVE to hydrate, I use a hyaluronic oil first thing around my eyes —The Ordinary Hyaluronic + B5

7. Not all oils will irritate acne, keep researching and trying things so you’re not drying out your skin 

You might already know all this stuff, but just in case I thought I’d write! 

Thank you! This is a huge help! I have been spending this year of quarantine trying out different serums and products to try to improve my skin. I’m currently using Skinceuticals Phloretin CF gel and Halo Super Serum in the morning. I’m using the The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + HA Serum and The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum  in the evening. My dermatologist just got me using Skinbetter Science Interfuse eye cream. Then a few times a week I use Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel Pads. I’m hoping that these products will help me to feel better about my fine lines and texture! That is great advice about the powder! I have been cutting back and trying to use a setting spray instead. I have not tried UD yet so thank you for the tip! That is great to know about the Armani foundation! I was actually looking at that one since it has such a huge following, but I didn’t know anyone that has used it. Do you apply with a beauty blender or brush? Any tips are appreciated! Thank you again!

I forgot to mention one more thing! I’m definitely not ONLY using hyaluronic on my face for plumping/moisturizing.... There are several things I do, but over the last 2 years I have also starting mixing a couple drops of Argan oil in with my facial moisturizer and it’s truly amazing. I don’t know what climate you live in, but here in MN it gets extremely dry (re: bad for the look of wrinkles) so I amp up my routine in the winter (uh... and fall). Plus the natural oils are so healthy I feel like my skin benefits from them in so many other ways, too. 

Ooh! I’m totally going to look into the other products you mentioned! Thanks for adding them. 😀 I use a gentle exfoliant and Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask 5 oz but I’m always open to new things. Have you found that The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum  helps w/spots, discoloration, scars, etc. or is it just for acne prevention?

Application:

So everybody’s different here, but over time I found I actually used way too much product with a beauty blender so I only use it for “full face” events (and even then I’m often using the Dior’s Airflash... feels less expensive when you use it rarely) so I typically use a brush or very light dabs w/my fingers. 
I also forgot to mention how much I like NARS tinted moisturizer— you may not be ready yet (or want) for something that light, but I really like it. When I’m feeling low maintenance but still want something to go out I use that. And since you like their products I thought I’d mention it!

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing