Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

I’m used to comedones, apparently I have nodules too

So! I have combo, SENSITIVE, very pale and very sweaty skin. I’ve had comedonal acne consistently after puberty. I have only recently learned that:

1. My moisture barrier is compromised and my skin is dehydrated and very sensitive?

2. sunscreen is important as a Fitzpatrick 1 and moisture is not my enemy

3. There are different types of acne lesions, and what I’ve been calling “pimples that haven’t come up yet” are actually nodules. There is no pus even though I used to pick them pretty brutally because “pus is just way deep down and I gotta get to it.” In certain parts of my menstrual cycle I get these nodules. 

that being said, I use tretinoin for my comedonal acne I’m relatively new to it, still in the purge period. 
I have no idea what to do with nodular lesions. Google says steroid shots and hormone blockers, but I’m trying to get thru this as gently as possible for now. 

complications: sensitive skin that HATES benzoyl peroxide treatments. Wash seems to be ok? Exfoliation is not a friend to comedonal acne from compromised skin. 

Questions:

will tretinoin help with these eventually?

Would sulfur penetrate deeply enough, or affect nodules at all?

Is there a way to reduce swelling at home?

Does topical spironolactone work, are the systemic effects the same? 

And any other tips to reducing the appearance or healing time of nodules? 

also, anything to avoid? Any tips would be appreciated. 

Re: I’m used to comedones, apparently I have nodules too

in my experience nodular is considered inflammatory acne, and is super painful and can be very sensitive.. the only thing that helped mine was a stronger type of acne medication like tretinoin which I only used once or twice a week as well tetracycline -an antibiotic- retinoids and a sensitive gentle cleanser, my skin is way way better now 🙂also spironolactone blocks hormones, which tretinonin is a retinoid- it is a topical cream and not a hormone blocker.

Re: I’m used to comedones, apparently I have nodules too

Hey! I’ve been on tretinoin for 3 months now and I’m finally seeing results ❤️ thanks for the suggestions. I’m looking into getting spiro now too… 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing