From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Fresh Soy Face Cleanser for acneic skin??

My cousin uses Fresh Soy Face Cleanser and loves it. I want to try it, but I’m skeptical about its ingredients. Does anyone with acneic skin use this cleanser and if so, what do you like/dislike about it? Thanks!!

Re: Fresh Soy Face Cleanser for acneic skin??

I have used the Fresh Soy Face Cleanser on and off for over three years now and have gone through so many bottles. I have oily, sensitive and acne prone skin for reference. It is my all time favorite cleanser. It is super gentle but gets all the oil off my skin and makes it feel so clean and smooth. I have tired new cleansers throughout the years but always go back because they break me out and Fresh Soy clears them up so quickly. I also like that it is a gel but does not foam up (which can be drying on the skin). 

@jordan92795 I have the same skin type, so my skin would probably react well to this cleanser. Great that it's non-foaming!! Lately, I prefer non-foaming cleansers over foaming ones since foaming cleansers are drying/dehydrating. From what my cousin told me, it's very gentle and helps breakouts.

RE: Re: Fresh Soy Face Cleanser for acneic skin??

I agree with what your cousin say about it! They sell smaller sizes so you could always try it that way. Usually Fresh has so sets too that include it. I’ve loved pretty much all the Fresh products I’ve tried and they work very well with my skin so couldn’t recommend the brand enough.

I would ask for a sample first. The Fresh Soy Cleanser actually caused more breakouts in my case, but I have very sensitive skin. There must be an ingredient that my skin cannot tolerate. Alternatively, I would recommend the La Roche Posay Hydrating Cleanser! Affordable and one of the best cleanser out there in my opinion. 

@risa0225 I've heard great things about La Roche-Posay Hydrating Cleanser! I love the Toleriane Cleanser!

I have struggled with acne for so long and I find the only cleanser that is gentle enough for my sensitive skin is the fresh soy face cleanser ! I have gone through many bottles and it cleans really well and it's especially nice in the morning because you can use it over your eyes and really wake yourself up and clear all the grogginess away. Although like the other reviews say, everyone is different so if you are curious I would say definitely try to get a sample or there's the travel size for $15 ! 

@beccajol21 Good to know! My cousin has acne-prone skin and she hasn't broken out from this. Her hubby uses it and the breakouts on his forehead cleared up.

I second this! It is the only cleanser that does not break me out. Whenever I try a new product I always come back to this as it clears my skin up so quickly and never dries it out.

My skin is super sensitive and acne-prone, but I do quite like the Fresh cleanser. I find it very gentle (similar to the Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser if you've tried that, except way less sticky in texture). 

On the other hand, I had high hopes for the Farmacy cleanser the other commenter suggested, but my skin rejected it completely-- I kept breaking out and my face just felt a bit irritated every time I used it. I had to return it, which was a real shame because it smelled DIVINE. 

Hi @harrypotterfan6 !

Can you ask for samples at your local Sephora? Personally, it makes me break out more. But, everything about skincare is YMMV so you should try it yourself.

There are a lot of great cleansers that do not break me out. I am loving Farmacy Clean Bee Ultra Gentle Facial Cleanser 5 oz/150 mLcurrently. I hope you find something you love!

RE: Re: Fresh Soy Face Cleanser for acneic skin??

Hi, @skcfan! I'll ask for a sample at my local Sephora. I'm skeptical about the essential oils in it. The Farmacy Ultra Gentle Cleanser looks awesome and I have to try it! Love the ingredients!

Re: RE: Re: Fresh Soy Face Cleanser for acneic skin??

@harrypotterfan6 I was curious about the Farmacy, so I looked up the review on beautypedia.  It got 3/5 stars:

Spoiler

Farmacy’s Clean Bee Ultra Gentle Facial Cleanser claims to have been formulated for those with sensitive skin, but it contains some ingredients that research shows could make sensitive skin worse.

This cleanser comes in a clear plastic bottle with a pump dispenser. It starts off as a gel, then becomes a lightweight foam when it contacts water. It does a good job removing dirt, oil, and makeup, rinsing cleanly without leaving skin feeling dry or tight.

As claimed, this contains some beneficial ingredients, among them skin-plumping sodium hyaluronate and soothing honey and licorice extract.

We wish it was just good-for-you ingredients that were included, but there are also several fragrant ingredients in the formula that put skin at risk for irritation (see More Info for details). Among them are two types of lavender oil, pine oil, geranium oil, and patchouli oil. Also included are fragrance (listed in the ingredients as flavor), plus the fragrance ingredient linalool, which can create additional irritation, especially for skin that is sensitized.

Even though these ingredients only come in contact with skin briefly since they’re rinsed right away, they’re still problematic, especially for the sensitive skin this is marketed toward (not to mention the eye area). Give this one a pass and opt for a far gentler version you’ll find on our list of best cleansers.

PROS:
  • Does a good job removing dirt, oil, and makeup.
  • Rinses cleanly without leaving skin feeling dry or tight.
CONS:
  • Contains fragrant plant oils that can irritate skin.

Includes fragrance and fragrance ingredients that can further aggravate skin.

Here's the review for the Fresh Soy Face Cleanser, which got 4/5 stars:

Spoiler
This very fragrant cleanser is based around rose water, which is little more than eau de cologne and potentially irritating, though the risk isn’t too great in a rinse-off product like this one is. This is otherwise a fairly gentle water-soluble cleanser for normal to dry skin. The small amount of soy makes it hardly worth including it as part of the name, but it’s of little consequence anyway in this product because the soy is just rinsed down the drain before it can have any benefit. And the price, puh-lease, get real, there is absolutely nothing in this product that isn’t easily replaced (and improved upon) by far less expensive cleansers available at the drugstore, from CeraVe, Olay, or Neutrogena.
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 17 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing