Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Skincare Aware

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

Hi @veronika23

The first things that come to my mind are Dr. Brandt Skincare Needles No More™ or Dermarche Labs FULLFILL™ Hyaluronic Acid Topical Wrinkle Filler. Both are made by brands that are very into ingredients and research, so while it may be a safe assumption to assume they'll work with your skin, I'd get a sample if possible! I've used both, but since fine lines on my forehead aren't exactly a big concern for me (right now at least!) I didn't buy the full size/repurchase. 

I do have to say the Dermarche Hyaluronic Acid really helped me with my smile lines since those are a lot more noticeable. They really reduced them and my makeup stopped creasing there. They haven't come back yet after about 3 months of no longer using this, but if they do I'm definitely going to pick this up again! I think the hyaluronic acid would be great if you have dry skin. Smiley Happy 

If you're looking for something instant, a coworker has used Dermarche Labs Roloxin® LIFT Instant Wrinkle Smoothing Mask and said it's kind of like there's someone holding your skin back for you so it's smooth! It's not painful, but a slightly weird sensation. She said it's great if you have a special event and really want your skin to look smooth. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBT  thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into these. I agree a sample would be best since I never how my skin will react Smiley Very Happy Thx!!!

@fatimamummy@jemly I love skincare threads, great idea! I have an ask-everyone question: I'd like to try undereye patch treatments for dark circles (thin skin.) I would love recommendations or thoughts on helpful ingredients!

hi @fairlywell ! are you saying you want to find a treatment for dark under eye circles ? to be perfectly honest....there's not much one can do for those (despite what products claim to do). they're, generally, hereditary. i do find, though, that as a fellow dark undereye gal myself, that keeping the area moisturized can 'plump' that thinner skin on the area, which can lead to the illusion of lighter circles / not being as 'sunken' in. i've been using KIEHLS midnight recovery eye cream at night, and i'm really liking it.

a slightly more cosmetic fix would be something like ORIGINS ginzing eye cream, which provides a lot of moisture while also containing light reflective particles. 

I'm always looking for something new and fun to improve things! The Kiehls cream sounds good. I was thinking of those comma shaped patches you put under your eyes for hydration, collagen, etc. Maybe most of the benefit is from keeping them cold though!

i do do use the BECCA undereye brightener with my makeup, which I like. 

@fairlywell I am currently using Patchology 5 minute hydro gels and I quite like them. I can't say they do much for dark circles but I can see visible difference in the appearance of eye bags and over all Eye area appears smooth and well moisturized.

PTR cucumber eye gels are another option but I haven't tried them.

Shiseido eye masks have Retinol in the ingredients and description says these are great for dark circles. My Eye area is sensitive to Retinol so I can't use them but I know @Mochapj uses these and like them. I hope she chimes in and can provide some more information 

I've used the Shiseido ones for a while and they have worked for me. They are the only ones I've tried that work, I did them once a week. I also use a Retinol eye cream; Trish McEvoy makes a good one. After a couple months of this cocktail, I saw results. Today I could skip concealer now. 

hi @fairlywell - as Fatimamummy mentioned, I have used the Shiseido patches and they do quite a bit of brightening.

I used to use them more regularly when I had darker circles but after switching my eye cream and making some skincare and lifestyle changes I don't have as noticeable circles anymore, so I mostly reserve the Shiseido patches for special events nowadays.

Great thread! I am curious about products from The Ordinary - looking forward to some thoughts/feedback and what products are good for newbies.

I ordered two products last week from them: a lactic acid no a Vit c serum. I'm excited to try and see if a $10 product beats my current ones. 

I am interested to know how these products perform @mrsbaine I also switched my Vit C serum from Oskia to Deciem Hylamide. It seems to work fine so I may pick a few more Deciem products soon. I hope Sephora starts carrying Oridnary and other Deciem brands as well.

I just started using a bunch of their products. I ordered the whole regimen for pigmentation issues and have been using it consistently for about two weeks.

I haven't noticed any huge change in my skin in terms of lightening (although maybe that's good because I don't actually want my entire face to be lighter, just a few spots!) but my skin is really soft. I haven't had any breakouts or other reactions, but my skin is not generally very sensitive. I figured it was inexpensive enough that I could try quite a few things and if I didn't like them it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm not sure if I will repurchase once these are used up...I will probably go back to the Timeless vitamin C serum instead of The Ordinary, though.

@Anewxa it's really going to depend on what issues you want to address.

For example, I have been using some of their products targeted at hyperpigmentation for several months, but if that isn't an issue you have, it's probably not a product for you. Smiley Wink

@Mochapj hyperpigmentation is definitely my primary concerns followed by targetting very fine lines and some skin texture/clogged pores around the cheeks/chin. 

@Anewxa in that case you might want to check out the Niacinamide Zinc (clogged pores) and Alpha Arbutin Hyaluronic Acid (hyperpigmentation) serums.  They have a whole bunch of other products for fine lines but I haven't tried any of them, (so I'm not going to recommend) but their website was recently revamped and contains lots of great information about what products do what.

I'm not sure whether Sephora carries them as I buy direct from the Ordinary, but they are both 

@Mochapj Do you like those serums enough to repurchase or have you not used them for long enough to decide yet? (I have both of those, along with two other cream-type products.)

@JenniferOhJenny it's been about 2 months for both, so I feel confident in talking about my usage.

I'll repurchase the AAHA one because I use it at night to sandwich serums and add an extra layer of hydration.  It does the job and is cheap. Smiley Happy

I will possibly repurchase the NZ one as well.  It's so hard to know how well things for clogged pores are working, IMO because if you use it daily, is it truly preventative, or is the skin just not clogged? Smiley Very Happy  I'm leaning towards yes on repurchasing because I like to have Niacinimide in my routine, and this is the most cost effective version I've found.

@Mochapj Yes (re: clogged pores), I feel the same way! Actually, I feel that way about a few things in my routine...does my skin actually look good (relatively speaking) now or are these things *making* my skin look good?

Anyways, thanks (as always!) for your input...I've only been using them for a few weeks so I'll give it a bit longer before I decide, but I'm leaning towards keeping up with both of the serums but not the creams. And maybe trying that Drunk Elephant dupe, but that's another post Smiley Happy.

@Mochapj GIRL you keep suggesting more and more products and I keep buying whatever you are suggesting to anyone that relates to my skincare needs. I don't want to think about how many products I am using right now. Still I want to buy both of these Ordinary product as well. 😂

Thank you for your suggestions @Mochapj, I will pick these two up and give it a go. I did see few of their products up on well(dot).ca and I will read up on their direct site too. 

As I mentioned below, I'm having some pigmentation issues and there are a few dark-ish spots on my face that I would love to get rid of. I am using The Ordinary's regimen for pigmentation in the morning and then I just purchased the Murad Rapid Age Spot Lightening Serum to use at night.

Have any of you ladies used this? Right now I put it on after I wash my face, wait a while, and then moisturize. I would prefer to use other products at night along with it (my retin A cream, other serums) but I don't know where it would fall in my routine. It's pretty thick, like a watery gel, so I don't know if it should go on top of other products or underneath.

Any tips/success stories would be appreciated! 

@JenniferOhJenny, I'm not sure what other products you use, but it's recommended to use products in the order from lightest to thickest. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBT I use a few thin serums and then a retin A cream. So I should probably apply the serums, then the Murad, then the cream, then moisturizer. Thank you!

So I'm having some dry skin issues. I am having dry/flaky texture between my eyes. I'm not sure how to get rid of that texture. I exfoliate once a week, have normal/dehydrated skin, and am early 20s.

Also, I am somehow having more dry skin issues between the crease of my lid and my browbone. Should I use an eye cream there or just my regular moisturizer (which is the Peter Thomas Roth water drench cream moisturizer). Any help is definitely appreciated. Smiley Happy

I may be totally off base, but you sound like me when dealing with allergies. My skin started really responding to allergens in my twenties, and for me it made a huge difference just to wash my face after coming indoors. 

566 Replies