Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT MAKEUP CAPSULE THEME:   

Week 21 (May 20 - 26) - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule 

May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Curate a capsule with products that make you look and feel your very best.

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 5.21.2024] Take a sneak peek at the themes to come.

Spoiler
Week 22 (May 27 - June 2) - The May 2024 "On Top", "On The Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule - it's that time again, curate a capsule with (a) your standout or favorite products this month; (b) products you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter; (c) products that repeatedly find their way inito your makeup looks; or (d) all of the above. OR, treat the "On Repeat" theme as an opportunity for a "Do Over" or "Take 2" of a previous makeup capsule, from earlier in the month or any of the themes to date.

Week 23 (June 3 - 9) - The Equal Love Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
Let's curate a capsule of one or more products from LGBTQ+ founded/owned makeup brands to honor Pride Month. This section will be updated with a list of LGBTQ+ founded/owned beauty brands (please note this is a non-exhaustive list and is focused on makeup brands).

Week 24 (June 10 - 16) - The Repurposed Makeup Capsule and/or The Multitasking Makeup Capsule
Do you have a product(s) that you've repurposed for a different use or ones that perform more than one function (lip and cheek, eyeshadow and bronzer, etc.? Let's pull them out of your stash and put together a capsule with one or more of those beauties. Shout out to our marvelous _missjeanie for the repurposed theme. 

Week 25 (June 17 - 23) - The "Welcome, Summer!" Makeup Capsule and/or The "Good Stuff" Makeup Capsule  A couple of fun themes this week. Summer is officially here (well, on Thursday)! Let's kick things off with an ode to the sunny, warm, bright & breezy days to come! Or, use this week to focus on the "good stuff" in your collection, be it one or more products you looooove or the "good stuff" that only comes out every now and again (or, maybe for some of us, for the first time this week). 

Week 26 (June 24 - 30) - The June 2024 "On Top", "On the Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule - Last week of the month, BIC! You know what that means. We have options! Let's shine a spotlight on one or more products from the capsules this month that's (a) one of the best products of the week (on top); or (b) something you're thinking about tossing or decluttering from your stash (on the chopping block); or (c) made a recurring appearance in your capsule all month (on repeat); or (d) all or some combination of the above. Or, curate a capsule that's been done before - a "Take 2" or "Do Over" - with or without any adjustments as you like.

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

I'm excited to see what results from this experiment and I welcome everyone to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

You look fabulous in reds @missjeanie! I feel like Romance is definitely a great deeper, bolder red that is still wearable. I know you are partial to purples/berry shades and Romance has some of those tones in there. It was one of my monthly favorites in December - a total surprise because deep reds, while I find them very pretty to look at and my eyes are always of the "oooohhhh" mindset, I don't typically find myself reaching for them but the Romance lip oil, just something about it! 💗An excellent choice for a gateway red. 

btw, I've not forgotten your question about Juvia's Place. I want to take a look at some of my old notes or products to make sure I touch on all the product types I've used from the brand.

@itsfi I noticed you had a palette in your capsule this week and was eyeing that up!  I feel like the Ulta I have a date with might have a few of their products!

@missjeanie, her eyeshadow palettes are wonderful. She has a lot of fun, bold color stories. I have had 3 of her more neutral, nude/brown tones. 😍 The taupes is fantastic for everyday and are my kind of eyeshadow shades. The first of her palettes that I purchased, The Nudes, are lovely too - all matte, If I’m remembering right - it was years ago that I used that one. I like the Taupes more as it contains some shimmery shades. I had her more neutral palette from the brand’s Nubian collection but one of my younger relatives really wanted it so I passed it on before getting a chance to use it - the colors in it were a deeper browns - mostly mattes, so pretty! 

I have tried a couple of her matte lipsticks - in the pink gradients tubes. Gorgeous, vibrant colors but they were too matte for my liking. To be fair, they came out during the first wave of mattes and the formulation was like other matte lipsticks at the time. 

I just used the lip gloss in my capsule and I am loving the color and the feel / consistency of it. I would definitely pick up more glosses at some point. 

@itsfi I was looking a the taupes and the mauves this weekend.  The entire section of Juvia's Place was quite picked over and they were both sold out, so I ended up snagging The Nudes, it's a bit peachier than I normally gravitate to, but I like that the shades aren't quite as deep.  There were several of the more colourful palettes left, but I just know that as much as they're pretty look at... they wouldn't end up on my eyes much.

I actually picked up a gloss as well.  I was maybe there after a lunch that included a few adult beverages and was so drawn to a deep berry purple.  I think it looks fabulous, but ... oh my she's pigmented! 

Can't wait to read your roundup!

Ugh. Sorry things were picked over. Were there any testers available of the palettes that interested you? 

"Adult beverages", heehee! 😁 Sounds like a fabulous lunch and post-lunch adventures! 

Sooo many fun goodies @missjeanie 🤩

I hear that alot about the blurring balm. It's excellent at mattifying common greasy areas. Try it around your nose or eyebrows before you draw them on. You'll see 😉

If they are compatible it works great after I use a sunscreen to de-grease me a bit do I can put on my make-up. It's definitely something that takes playing around with too figure out.

@CynthieLu Maybe that's why I'm not super into it yet... I've got super dry skin.  I'll play around with using it over some different more glowy SPF's though!  Great idea!

👀👀THAT FENTY BLUSH

What shade is it?!?! @missjeanie 

Nice, very valentine-y selection

@danielledanielle It's Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Blush 03 Bikini Martini ... I wore it both yesterday and today and the LYS might not get used this week simply because of how much I'm loving this shade!  It's giving me spring time and I'm alllll about that. 

Week 6: The Black Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule

ETA pic

(If I can snap a pic later , it'll go here)

Initial Capsule

1000001725.jpg

1000001728.jpg

Added items

1000001727.jpg

Forgot to include the Uoma Pallete

Spoiler
1000001732.jpg

1000001730.jpg
Everything fits! This bag is so tightly packed, tho 😂.  TBH, I have a separate brush bag, but wanted to include the brushes for the pic.

I can participate in this one!!!  I've been using a smaller amounts since the arrival of DanDan.  (Also, I legit brought makeup to the hospital because I was stubbornly committed to not looking worn out after his arrival - feeling worn out, was in the cards and remains to this day).

Fenty Sunstalk'r Face + Eye Palette

PAT McGRATH LABS Sublime Perfection Foundation(Sample Packet)

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer Hot Chocolit 

Ami Colé Hydrating Lip Treatment Oil Reflection 

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Shadowstix Longwear Eyeshadow Stick Bellini Ba$H 

Ami Colé Skin Melt Talc-Free Loose Setting Powder Deep / Medium 

Danessa Myricks Beauty Linework Paintbrush Fluid Liquid Eyeliner 0.034 oz / 1 ml 

PAT McGRATH LABS IntensifEYES™ Longwear Eyeshadow Primer IntensifEYES™ Longwear Primary 

Brow:

GWP of Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz® Ultra-Slim Precision Eyebrow Pencil Medium Brown & Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer 3-in-1 Triangle Tip Easy Precision Eyebrow Pencil Medium Brown 

I have since incorporated

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer Fuchsia Flexas well as Candy Soda & Pink Dragonfly

Ami Colé Skin-Enhancing Lightweight & Blurring Foundation Stick 320 

PAT McGRATH LABS Sublime Perfection Concealer M18 

Fashion Fair Lip Teasers Lip Gloss Queen of Crimson 

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna We're Even Hydrating Longwear Waterproof Concealer Medium 300N 

LYS Beauty Speak Love Moisture Matte Lipstick in Optimistic

Juvia's Place Coffee Shop Lux Liners

Uoma Beauty's Allure Palette

Fenty Glitty Liners

I don't have a BoB eyebrow product or mascara, with me, BUT, in the past I have used Fenty's brow product (went through it too fast) and Uoma Beauty's Baby Brow Fro (pretty good).  And for mascara, Ami Colé Lash-Amplifying Volumizing & Lengthening Mascara Rich Black is one of my fave mascaras ever.

@danielledanielle LOL - i brought makeup to the hospital too!! I also thought i was going to be able to emerge with a baby looking flawless…. I managed to kinda brush my hair. Still counts 😂

i love the products you chose for this capsule - i knew id see a solid Fenty selection 😍

@cianni @danielledanielle I didn’t bring any makeup both times. Only skincare. I think because I packed other stuff that I didn’t even end up using.  I also had 2- C Sections the first not planned so I was super tired all the time and barely felt comfortable moving. 

@SportyGirly125 skincare was definitely the right move - i way overpacked for the hospital, and ended up not using a lot of it

Same @cianni & @SportyGirly125 , I definitely over packed, but I ended up using a lot of stuff later on so it kinda worked out?

Lol! @cianni , it counts! Anytime I can get grooming done, I'm like I'VE CRACKED MOTHERHOOD.

R\T - Y'now it.  I was inspired by someone who actually popped up on Fenty's IG for their postpartum Fenty Face (long ago), and was like...I can do that, but not all of it would fit into the bag, so I made some adjustments.

I made my hospital dining tray table into a makeup stand that morning.  I was determined, and luckily nugget was conked out.  I also had remnants of the previous days makeup on me and was asked what products I used.  Skindinavia people!  It's the truth!

@danielledanielle oooo i wonder if i can find that postpartum face post somewhere…. Good inspiration haha. 

The remnants of the previous days makeup is so real. I’ve seen a bunch of posts of people debating whether or not they prefer freshly applied makeup or “marinated” makeup, and honestly i think im a fan of marinated makeup haha. Maybe not always from the day before, but something about makeup that’s a little lived in just looks so much better on my skin haha. 

.. ive also added Skindinavia to my list of things ill be buying once i finish the setting spray that’s in my pan project haha

🤣 @cianni marinated makeup

Leftovers always taste better....

And everything in that Fenty bag, good job! @danielledanielle 🙌

@danielledanielle That DM liner is on my list for my next liquid liner purchase.  It sounds like so many people are loving it, and I know you've sung it's praises too... 

So I didn't think I had a concealer... but I saw you list the PMG... I do have that one!  Must try to find it!

@danielledanielle  This is a great line up!! Can’t wait to see your looks! 

Conversation Stats
Photos306
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1
  • Week 1 - Workday 2