Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT MAKEUP CAPSULE THEME:   

Week 21 (May 20 - 26) - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule 

May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Curate a capsule with products that make you look and feel your very best.

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Themes: [Updated 5.21.2024] Take a sneak peek at the themes to come.

Spoiler
Week 22 (May 27 - June 2) - The May 2024 "On Top", "On The Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule - it's that time again, curate a capsule with (a) your standout or favorite products this month; (b) products you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter; (c) products that repeatedly find their way inito your makeup looks; or (d) all of the above. OR, treat the "On Repeat" theme as an opportunity for a "Do Over" or "Take 2" of a previous makeup capsule, from earlier in the month or any of the themes to date.

Week 23 (June 3 - 9) - The Equal Love Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule
Let's curate a capsule of one or more products from LGBTQ+ founded/owned makeup brands to honor Pride Month. This section will be updated with a list of LGBTQ+ founded/owned beauty brands (please note this is a non-exhaustive list and is focused on makeup brands).

Week 24 (June 10 - 16) - The Repurposed Makeup Capsule and/or The Multitasking Makeup Capsule
Do you have a product(s) that you've repurposed for a different use or ones that perform more than one function (lip and cheek, eyeshadow and bronzer, etc.? Let's pull them out of your stash and put together a capsule with one or more of those beauties. Shout out to our marvelous _missjeanie for the repurposed theme. 

Week 25 (June 17 - 23) - The "Welcome, Summer!" Makeup Capsule and/or The "Good Stuff" Makeup Capsule  A couple of fun themes this week. Summer is officially here (well, on Thursday)! Let's kick things off with an ode to the sunny, warm, bright & breezy days to come! Or, use this week to focus on the "good stuff" in your collection, be it one or more products you looooove or the "good stuff" that only comes out every now and again (or, maybe for some of us, for the first time this week). 

Week 26 (June 24 - 30) - The June 2024 "On Top", "On the Chopping Block" and/or "On Repeat" Makeup Capsule - Last week of the month, BIC! You know what that means. We have options! Let's shine a spotlight on one or more products from the capsules this month that's (a) one of the best products of the week (on top); or (b) something you're thinking about tossing or decluttering from your stash (on the chopping block); or (c) made a recurring appearance in your capsule all month (on repeat); or (d) all or some combination of the above. Or, curate a capsule that's been done before - a "Take 2" or "Do Over" - with or without any adjustments as you like.

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

I'm excited to see what results from this experiment and I welcome everyone to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

@haleyvvvv The Bite Lips.... 😢.  I'm still not over them shutting down.  I have decluttered and used up some of their lip items through the years but now I'm almost ... 'saving' the ones I have.  

@haleyvvvv Great capaule items! I am super curious about the Kaja blush and the Ilia pigment. I have those in my collection too!

@haleyvvvv, I tested the Kaja blusher in store and thought it was user error and the tester being out of product because I couldn't get any product to apply on the back of my hand. It's too bad the applicator is more gimmicky than functional. It is really cute. 

Will be interesting to see what comes of the Kosas and Ilia. Love that you used and loved them in the past. I (sadly) have some products I haven't even used. 😣 Fortunately, it's a small handful and hoping to rectify that with this challenge.

This is an interesting idea, @itsfi !  I plan to follow your adventure and see what I can pick up.  I don't wear makeup that often any more.  I want to use each of my eye palettes, blushes, and lipsticks this year.  Anything I no longer like or don't use is going to be tossed.

"I want to use each of my eye palettes, blushes, and lipsticks this year."  Me too @Titian06! With the ones I've yet to use, I'm thinking about using some disposable makeup applicators when I use them and if they end up not being loves that I want to keep, I can quickly sanitize the product and donate them to a couple of organizations that accepts "gently used" products. 

Would love to have you follow along and please chime in if there are thoughts you have on products or products use or ways to incorporate them into a look. I know there will be makeup products that will stump me in terms of ways to make work. And, please feel free to jump in to a challenge if there's one that speaks to you.

The first makeup capsule - I had a lot of fun putting this together. It helped me switch out items I normally reach for to other items that need some love. I am already excited to try some new things out like the TF palette. I love the brown shimmers in the palette. The Milk Makeup Bronzer is great. I have been gravitating towards a different brand, so I am happy to switch back to this one for a week or so and see the difference.

20240103_175143.jpg

Your choices for your first makeup capsule looks awesome @Mellmars1185! I loved that you are mixing it up and choosing some new things to try. I'll keep an eye out for a few of your beauties here. I think you will put together some amazing looks with that Too Faced Better Than Chocolate palette - the browns are beautiful and omg, that  blue! 😍😍

@itsfi Thank you! I am really excited for this challenge. I have a lot of new things I want to try and figure out what works and what doesn't from my stash.

Oooh, so interesting, @itsfi I look forward to reading through your journey. I keep my shop my stash pretty small, but I'll try to do this with my cheek (blush, highlighters), eyeshadow and lippies. 

Oh yes @haleyvvvv! I love the idea of doing this with specific types of products. Fabulous idea! This will be so much fun!

What a great way to shop your stash @itsfi ! 

Thank you @makeitup305! There'll be a lot of shopping my stash this year. And hopefully the stash doesn't get too much larger, too quickly. 😂 I'm looking forward to making my way through products I might not ordinarily reach for because I'm comfortable with my usual routine(s).

I'm hoping for the same @itsfi !

@itsfi This is such a fun and smart idea for a thread. I really like the idea of capsules and it looks like a great way to try different products in our stash. I will be back to participate!

Thank you @Mellmars1185🤗 It'll be fun to try different products in our stashes and put together different combinations. Hoping this also gives us a nice distraction while on our no buys / low buys.

@itsfi It is exactly what I needed as a distraction. Plus it will help me shop my stash at the same time. I also want to have less products and discover what works best for me.

@Mellmars1185, this'll be a fun way to keep ourselves accountable to shopping our stashes and staying the course on our no buy / low buy for the year. 

I've made up two work day looks with a different combination of these beauty products. One I wore yesterday and the other today; I'm planning on repeating both tomorrow and Friday. Then I'll try to come up with another combination of products for my weekend face. I'll try to remember to post a recap over the weekend. 

@itsfi  I love this idea!! I will also try and participate! I am likely makeup free until 4-Jan but I will pick out my products tonight and post tomorrow! I like this idea it will help me reach for new products and try different styles and looks!! Great idea!!! 

Awww, thanks so much @ather! No pressure, jump in whenever you have time or the mood strikes you. I thought this would be a fun and productive challenge, all while providing an opportunity to shop our stashes in a different way. I'm hoping it will be helpful during low buy / no buy months. 🤞

Week 1: The First (of the Year) Makeup Capsule 

Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg

Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg

The Products:

Spoiler

BASE
-- Summer Fridays ShadeDrops Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Mineral Milk Sunscreen 1.7 oz / 50 mL 
-- Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi™ Bronzing Drops with Peptides - I typically use a Korean sunscreen with DE D-Bronzi but want to try it the SF sunblock this week. Both are favorites of mine and it would be great if they worked well together.
-- Missha Glow Cushion Compact
-- SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Full Coverage Multi-Use Hydrating Concealer 11.5P -  Some days, I'll use this as a concealer and others, as a foundation
-- Skindinavia The Makeup Finishing Spray Bridal - this was the first makeup setting spray I ever used. 

CHEEKS:
-- Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Liquid Blush Virtue (gratis)
-- Victoria Beckham Beauty Matte Bronzing Brick (Shade 02) 
-- Saie Mini Glowy Super Gel Lightweight Dewy Highlighter Starglow - I was introduced to this highlighter in a gratis package a few years back and have picked up a mini or full size ever since.

EYES:
-- Glossier Boy Brow Volumizing Eyebrow Gel-Pomade 
-- SEPHORA COLLECTION Boost + Lock Eyeshadow Primer 0.33 oz / 10 mL 
-- Natasha Denona Biba All Neutral Eyeshadow Palette Full Size Biba Neutral Eyeshadow Palette - this palette is in my project pan for this year (I'm on yer 5 of working my way through it) and will be making many appearances in this challenge throughout the year. There are 2 shadows that I have not hit pan on; I'm determined to do so this year as it will be the last year I include the Biba palette in my pan it! portfolio.
-- Lancôme Monsieur Big Waterproof Mascara 01 Waterproof Big is The New Black - my holy grail mascara
-- Yves Saint Laurent Lash Clash Extreme Volume Mascara - testing this out for the first time. I had the Yves Saint Laurent Lash Clash Extreme Volume Mascara Electric Blue applied to the tips of my lashes at Sephoria NYC and liked how it added oomph (not just in color) to my lashes. Happy to see this in my Sephoria bag.

LIPS:
-- Mutha Pucker Lip Butter
-- Chanel Longwear Lip Pencil - 162 Nude Brun
-- Tower 28 Beauty OneLiner Lip Liner + Eyeliner + Cheek Pencil Work Of Art - hmmm, I forgot this can be used to line the lips and the eyes until I tagged the product. 
-- Yves Saint Laurent Candy Glaze Lip Gloss Stick 
-- MAKEUP BY MARIO SuperSatin® Lipstick 917 - this glides on beautifully and wears well
-- Gisou Honey Infused Hydrating Lip Oil Golden Shimmer Glow 

BAG:
-- I received this soft, pretty, pink corduroy makeup bag when I stopped by the INN Beauty booth at Sephoria NYC. It's available on the brand's direct site as part of certain makeup and skincare bundles. It's very spacious. I had no problem zipping up the bag with all these products in it - didn't have to squish anything into the bottom or corners, didn't have to smoosh the bag closer together to get it to zip all the way. Love that, but it also means I could add all of these items in the bag - this was a lot more than I thought I would have for this week. Eek! Here we go!

This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing! I have been looking at my collection and most products I own have been discontinued sadly and I don’t want to use them anymore because once I’m done I won’t be able to find a dupe my fear is I won’t be able to replace it. This is a great way to declutter products that don’t work for our skin anymore as well! I own so many products and it’s hard to let go. 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos306
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1