Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this certainly is difficult! 

if it came down to it, i would really just need foundation, concealer, mascara annnnd an eyelash curler, if that counts.

-concealer: tarte amazonian clay concealer stick

-foundation: bare minerals matte powder foundation 

-mascara: maybelline colossal lashes volum express!!!!! favorite EVER

If I was forced!!  After washing off the blood of whoever forced me to do this, I would need to keep: 

• Bite Agave Lip Mask in Smashed
  • Josie Maran Argan Infinity Lip & Cheek Creamy Oil in Endless Guava or Always Cherry
  • Nars Christopher Kane Blush in Starscape
  • Mascara - Probably Urban Decay Perversion or Marc Jacobs O!mega Lash
  • Guerlain Lingerie de Peau Foundation
  • Becca Champagne Pop
  • Brows - Anastasia Brow Wiz or the new Smashbox one I just bought

I would probably also keep an eye palette, but honestly, I could probably live without eyeshadow.  Which is utterly ridiculous of me to say given how I tend to buy every eye palette that comes out! 

Makeup essentials, if I were forced to pare down:

• Anastasia Brow Wiz in Dark Brown (I'm currently using Hourglass's pencil, but I prefer the control of Brow Wiz)
  • Estee Lauder Sumptuous Infinite Mascara
  • Urban Decay 24/7 liner in Demolition or Lush
  • Stila Convertible Color in Lillium
  • BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl or Moonstone
  • Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Neutral Fair
  • NARS Light Reflecting Loose Powder
  • Dior Addict Lip Glow in Coral

Ohhh this is a tough one!

Stila bronzer - I can't find this on Sephora's website anymore, and I don't have it handy. It looks like it may be a "Convertible Color," which I find accurate. It's amazing.

TF Extreme Mascara

Natura Bisse The Cure tinted moisturizer (technically not makeup, but I prefer this as a base most days rather than foundation)

...Though when I do use foundation, I use Lancome Teint Visionnaire Skin Correcting Makeup Duo (which comes with a concealer)

Marc Jacobs Magic Marc'er Precision Pen waterpoof eyeliner

Benefit Watt's Up Highlighter

BITE Violet lipstick

TF Pussycat lipstick

TF Velvet Violet lipstick (I know I'm cheating but it's amazing)

...I don't even know where to start on eyeshadows. 

Things I can't live without:

- An Illuminator: I like Illuminating Primers. They are versatile enough for me to also wear it as just a base. If I had to pick one or two to keep using forever they would be Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow and Burberry Nude Radiance

- Concealer: I can go without foundation, but I couldn't go without concealer. My favorite is Charlotte Tilbury Retoucher. It's thick enough to cover anything but it sheers out really well. I've never had a cracking issue either.

- Powder (setting/finishing): Best one I've used is Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Powder. (Do you see a trend?)

Blush: I wear a blush everyday. If I had to pair down my collection, I'd keep two: a pink color and an orange. For Pink, I'd keep my Charlotte Tilbury S e x on Fire. For Orange (Coral); it would be hard to pick, but if I had to it would be Tom Ford Stroked.

Highlighter: I'd have to keep one highlighter, and right now, it would be... you guessed it... Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow in Medium/Dark. It has dethroned my beloved Chanel Dentelle.

I can go without lipstick, eyeshadow and eyeliner if I had to.

I don't think there's a single person I would trust more to put together the best and most lux kit of essentials. 

For a "full face":

- Burberry Sheer foundation

- Tom Ford Francesco lipstick.  Also Chantecaille Tulipe.

- Burberry Blossom blush or Dior Mylady 007 blush

- A brow pencil (right now I use either NYX or ABH)

- A powder (Becca matte or LM translucent)

- A highlighter (CT Filmstar)

Oh yes, a concealer - NARS creamy or Clinique Airbrush. 

This would cover me for every occassion.

it's so funny because until relatively recently i had always been a same-look-every-day girl, changing it up maybe once or twice a year. my essentials were always: foundation, concealer, eyeliner, mascara (though i go through no mascara / eye makeup phases) and a lip color. i'd have maybe one or two eyeshadows i'd maybe wear every once in a while, and maybe 1 or 2 lipsticks i could swap around, but that was it.

what happened was i really started to appreciate having a choice. and now that desire for choice is out of control and certainly out of perspective. 

it all started with my developing a skincare arsenal. and then it flooded over into makeup. 

so.....i guess mine are:

• a foundation like NARS all day luminous or sheer glow. i love them equally
  • concealer -- NARS radiant creamy concealer. i don't mind having dark circles but i need one incase i need to  cover up a spot. concealer is my crutch for sure.
  • a black eyeliner. lately my favorite has been bobbi brown long wear eyeliner.
  • a satiny chocolate brown eyeshadow. bobbi brown chocolate (discontinued) or MUFE artist shadow
  • 1 nude lipstick (my arsenal has grown in this department lately, so i'm not sure what my favorite is). my go to for years has been MAC honeylove
  • 1 red lipstick. my default used to be NARS red lizard. not sure these days which i'd go for, i have such a deep love for my reds ! (so...red lizard, rita, annabella, STILA beso......)

missing are things i know i adore, like GUERLAIN maxi lash mascara, or NARS catfight lipstick. so i dunno where to draw the line !

The other day, I was using my whitening pen, or at least attempting to. I was standing in front of my mirror and pressing the applicator onto my teeth and waiting, just waiting, and I thought: 

Is this what America has to do to look pretty? Do we have to smother a rather vile-looking gel that is very disgustingly tasted on top of our teeth to discover that it has mediocre results and toss it in the garbage can? Because if my friends saw me like this, if America saw me like this...doesn't this just look WRONG?

There are no thoughts like those crazy 10-o-clock-at-night thoughts, am I right? Delusional yet still deep.

My craziest thoughts come at 3 am, always have since my teen years. But honestly, their crazy all hours of the day!! 

You are not alone in the dept of odd looking beauty rituals. But to make yourself feel better, jump over to that thread containing weird beauty items! 😄   (Sorry, don't have the link handy)

I have to keep reminding myself that some of my primary frustrations in life are only "first world problems." Gotta let it go sometimes.

I got an email today from Saks with a 20% off code. I struggled to find 3 things I want! Literal struggle! But you Nars lovers will appreciate that I passed on Tom Ford Black Dahlia for Nars Charlotte. Let's see how it goes!

Hooray for NARS! Can't wait to see it on you, Mrs. Baine!

We'll see how this goes! It's a first where I decide to NOT buy Tom Ford. I'm still new to Nars; I also don't have a lot of it. I have 2 blushes and 1 lipstick (Vera - which is amazing). I think I tried Jeanne and Audrey maybe and they both got returned. At the time, I found them both too dry. I feel like Charlotte is going to be too, but now I know what to do about it. I'm excited to try and for 20% off, why not.

My daughter bought me Charlotte for Christmas ( my one and only Audacious) and although I like the colour, it's much too drying and applied patchy. I tried to make it work by really prepping my lips but still couldn't get it to work for me. 

I prefer Black Dahlia ( matte) or Bruised Plum ( luminous).

ok. remember how sad a lot of us were when NARS released their spring blush 'reckless'--which had been GREATLY anticipated--only for each of us, one by one, to come to realize how sparkly it was ?? and how a lot of us were trying to find that discontinued shiseido blush that we thought was "what we all thought reckless was going to be" ??

..............guys. NARS had it all along. it's sex appeal (which i've never seen in store, but it's on their site as well as sephora's). matte, no shimmer. and maybe someone pointed it out and i totally missed that. i only had my "ohhhhhh" moment this past week ! (i think i avoided it for it's name, honestly.)

here they are side by side (reckless, sex appeal)

blushes.jpg

here is mine:

sexappeal.jpg

<pours one out for Reckless> I was so excited for it.  

You are very good at this.  So good, I have to ask - what do you think is the matte analog to unlawful?

For reference, Reckless is on the left, Sex Appeal is on the right.  Since they both barely show on my skin, I also wiped on a cotton pad; the top is Reckless in that.  On my finger swipe, the bottom is Reckless.

i0805152mage.jpg

Tribulation is everything I wanted reckless to be, subtle shimmer no glitter. However, I may need to check out sex appeal too. upload_575958810485674749.jpg

Swatches! cpTrB1 ML.jpg

Right to left Champaign pop, Tribulation, LM Baked radiance 1, Nars Miss Liberty is on top

Spoiler
cptlm1.jpglmtcp.jpg

More angles Tribulation is in the center 

Spoiler
tribulaton champane.jpgin the pan Champaign  pop and Miss Liberty
TML.jpg
on my face as cheek highlight  
becca amelia.jpg

That looks really nice! The comparison products are perfect, so now I have a reference of what this will look like on me... I definitely want it. Thank you, moxiepancakes!

5 Replies
testing