Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Questions Wanted: Clean Fragrance

**Update: Questions are welcome until Wednesday, 8/15!

Happy FRI-YAY, BIC!

I don’t know about you but I was so excited to see Clean at Sephora launch this summer! You may not know this but fragrance plays a big role in this new category. We have a handful of brands that Sephora considers clean according to our guidelines.

According to our guidelines, if a product get the clean stamp of approval is must be formulated without the use of PTFE/PFOA, styrene, polyacrylamide/acrylamide, acetaldehyde, acetonitrile, methylene chloride, benzalkonium chloride, toluene, resorcinol, acetone, butoxyethanol, ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, methyl cellosolve, methylisothiazolinone/methylchloroisothiazolinone, mercury and mercury compounds (thimerosal), bisphenol A (BPA), and animal fats, oils, and musks.

Here’s a list of those fragrance brands:

I know that “clean” can also be confusing (LOOK at that no-no ingredient list!) so we wanted to get your questions on clean fragrance. Please ask your questions until Thursday, 8/9. Once all questions are in I will circle back with Sephora employees and the brands to get answers to the common questions we see in this thread. If you have a specific question for one of our clean fragrance brands feel free to ask that as well!

What do you want to know about our clean fragrance brands and the clean fragrance category?

BONUS Q: What's your favorite clean brand of all time? This can be any type of brand from skincare to supplements.. go crazy! 🙂 

RE: Questions Wanted: Clean Fragrance

Chanel No 5 is my all time favorite but try Shalimar or Saint by Kat Von D. Estée Lauder Beautiful is really great. I am a connoisseur of perfumes. What scent are you looking for something like Fresh is great. My Facebook page is: Makeup Try’s and Tribulations Gina Sanders. I try everything. Cosmetics, perfumes, skin care.

Re: Questions Wanted: Clean Fragrance

**Update: Questions are welcome until Wednesday, 8/15!

It's so hard looking at the clean ingredient list that I don't do it for fragrance. I might have to check out Clean reserve line.:)

@KatieBTof these brands, which have the longest staying power on skin? 

As for a clean brand in general, I love Drunk Elephant and have been using 3 of their products without sensitivity issues 🙂

Honestly I don’t really pay as much l attention as I should to the ingredient list in the products I use. I know to avoid phthalates and silicones but I don’t actively read the labels to avoid these things.

That being said I would like to know what kind of good(clean) ingredients are used in these products instead of the bad ones and does it effects the strength, longevity and composition of the fragrances?? Because if the clean ingredients are as effective as the un-clean ones why doesn’t every company use them?? Are they more expensive?

Have to try more of these fragrances because the only one I know is CLEAN. And my favorite clean brand is definitely Caudalie❤️❤️

@KatieBT, not sure my response is any help to you at all, but I am not that well-versed in the Clean movement for Beauty. I have noticed the Clean stamp on products online at Sephora. It makes me look at those items closer, but it doesn’t really sway me to purchase. I am happy with all of my favorite brands/products, regardless of whether they are Clean brands or not. With that being said, I recently used my sample of Clean Reserve Rain perfume and absolutely love the scent. I received compliments on it every single time I wore it. It’s now a new favorite perfume.

@KatieBT  Does  a fragrance that meets the Clean guidelines tend to have a shorter shelf life? What kind of preservatives are allowed in these fragrances and how long do they stay good for? 

@starsandbucks That's a really good question, I'd like to know too.

I had no idea that this was even a category I should be looking more into, thanks for bringing it up! I'm interested to pop back into this thread when all of the questions that have already been posed are answered. 

The Clean Reserve line is beautiful, I'll be keeping an eye out for the other clean brands you mentioned next time I'm in store 🙂

The Clean Acqua Neroli fragrance is really great! I just picked up a sample for my bf. I hope he likes it as much as I do, lol.

This is def a thread to keep peeking through.

@ClassicallyFab I love that one! I got a sample too and it’s really nice. 

Neroli is just so wonderful, isn’t it @alexasteph?!😄💕

@KatieBT never considered a clean brand fragrance. I’ve been stuck in jo Malone mode. Lol. My fav clean skincare brand is drunk elephant and second fav is farmacy

Questions Wanted: Clean Fragrance

I recently read about concerns of phthalates in perfumes...is that on your list?

Can't think of any questions at the moment about the fragrances but one of my favorite clean brands at Sephora is Omorovicza! The thermal cleansing balm is one of my all time favorite products. I also have to mention another fav. Consonant HydrExtreme. Can't live without it 😄

My favourite "clean" brands are probably pure+simple, Martina Gebhardt and The Ordinary.

I know this likely falls outside the purview of this thread, but I think ethical/sustainable sourcing and human labour practices are a huge part about concern over ingredients. This seems to be a huge part of 7 Virtues' perfumes 🙂 So my question would be about whether ingredients are ethical and sustainable from an environmental and human labour perspective?

Hi Katie! Oooooh good topic! I really really like 7 Virtues, especially « Vanilla Woods » and their story is awesome. I have noticed a bunch of cool new brands fragrance wise and was psyched to see them. I always like perfumes in which I can recognize some natural essences - I knowthere are many safe and naturally derived synthetics that can be used in scent and that pretty much have to be since it would be very difficultto create something lasting that people would want to wear entirely from essential oils, absolutes, tinctures etc. So I guess my question would be how Sephora approached the concept of CLEAN and how they decide what should make the cut and what shouldn’t. I think a couple of other people have already asked a version of this question but in my case I am often purchasing fragrances blindly (thank you for offering many of them in smaller formats - it makes blond purchasing easier and less risky) - so really - I guess I am also wondering if the CLEAN stamp might indicate a tendency towards more usage of natural ingredients in the fragrances that bear it.

@KatieBT You reference a couple of times that the certain products are considered to be "clean" and use the phrase "by our guidelines".  What set the standard for those guidelines?  How was the framework derived/who was the final authority on establishing the guidelines?

Great questions @CookieGirl1!

My favourite Clean brand is definitely Drunk Elephant 😄 I can’t go without Lala! 💜 

Do any of the Clean Ingredients fragrances cause photosensitivity due to citrus or alcohol ingredients? This isn’t a subject I know a whole lot about, but I’m curious, if I were to spray something like Grapefruit Lime Eau de Parfum onto my décolletage every day, would it cause my skin to be more susceptible to sun damage? Obviously this is a potential issue for any fragrance, not just clean, but is there a proper way to be applying fragrances? Thanks! 😊

Conversation Stats
testing