Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Monthly Misses (and Mehs!): February 2021

As we wave goodbye to February, we can use this thread to chat about beauty products that we were underwhelmed by.  It could be something that really let you down, or merely something that just didn't impress you.  Share your thoughts here!

istockphoto-1136422297-612x612.jpg

Re: Monthly Misses (and Mehs!): February 2021

The INKEY List Turmeric Brightening Moisturizer 1 oz/ 30 mL 

I had a really strange reaction to this. I’m not sure it delivered moisture at all and would say I found it quite tingly to the point of it burning a bit. The texture felt like a cream-mousse but not one I enjoyed. I tried it for about two weeks and then stopped because I felt it was making the redness worse. Overall, I really did not like anything about it, and usually I like Inkey List products. 

I tried the Charlotte Tilbury Mini Airbrush Flawless Setting Spray 1.1 oz/ 34 ml  and was disappointed. I have pretty oily skin and when I used this my foundation broke up in my t-zone by lunch time. I love Charlotte tilbury products so I was sad this didn’t work for me. 

@sparkles0913 , oh wow, I was thinking about picking this up, good to know, TY

My miss this month is Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Niacinamide Dew Drops Serum 1.35 oz/ 40 mL.  It didn't do anything for me.  I didn't notice any brightening or hydration.  I even used it twice a day, which I don't normally do with most twice-a-day products.

All of mine were makeup related this month, not skincare, which is wild for me. I combined my fails and faves in a single look this month.

Fails:

20210227_162350~2.jpg

Hank&Henry Fuego palette. The mattes in this are lovely, but the shimmer takes a finger to work (and even then, they're not amazing, unlike their other palettes). I hate needing to use a finger to make a shadow work. I'm going to sanitize and pass along. 

The Rodial Glow Drops are actually lovely, but the packaging is trash. The dropper doesn't drag up product and then it all gets stuck on the outside, and just gets on the side of the tube or I have to swipe the sides of the dropper to use it. I end up wasting a lot and it's not the most sanitary. 

NARS Pro-Prime™ Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base Original Only works with some formulas. I've found it's okay for mattes, I think, but doesn't love shimmers. Or maybe the reverse? Or maybe it depends on the particular palette. I can't be bothered to use multiple primers or a primer that doesn't work with most of my palettes. I do like that when it works, it prevents creasing for a while on my oily hooded eyes. 

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Liquid Blush Grateful I wanted to Iike this, but it takes so much effort to apply right. It's supposed to be easy!! It's either too faint or too much and is hard to blend out. Today's been the only application, where pigment didn't pool in my pores and I can't figure out why. (I'm not even wearing a pore filling primer today). I'm going to try mixing it with maybe the Saie glowly thing or something similar. I'm just disappointed in how much effort these take to get right. And I'm so glad they're pigmented, because that means everyone should be able to use them.  I just think with the applicator the way it is, it's hard to titrate for me. 

Combined look: 

Spoiler

20210227_162135~3.jpg

For faves: Monthly Favorites: February 2021 Edition! 

@haleyvvvv - You look great!  It just shouldn't be a chore to get your makeup on!  😫

Thank you, @Titian06!! 

@haleyvvvv , yeah I'm with you on the rare beauty blush.  It's extra effort for an effortless look 😡

Extra effort for an effortless look is exactly it, @danielledanielle. Well said!!

@haleyvvvv are you applying the blush directly onto your cheeks and then blending it out?  

@CookieGirl1, I have tried using the applicator directly (as is done in her videos), or on the back of my hand and then directly or using a sponge and multiple brushes. I acknowledge there is likely user error on my part, but when a product is marketed as "effortless"...I dunno, it should feel that way.

Sorry, @haleyvvvv.  it's always frustrating when you can't get something to work the way that you expect.

Curiosity trolled me hard with this purchase: 

Objects in compact are lighter than they appear.Objects in compact are lighter than they appear.
Avene Mineral Tinted Compact SPF 50, shade Honey - This is some Hourglass-level shade deception right here. In promo photos and in person, it looks like it could work for at least medium-deep skin tones. But nope: it applies as a light beige and, once rubbed into skin, leaves a noticeable white cast on my whole face. This sunscreen comes in just 2 shades. Amusingly, the other (lighter) shade is named Beige. So, Avene makes this tinted sunscreen in 2 shades of beige. 🙄 

Before buying this thing, I figured if it left a cast, I could correct it with powder foundation. I tried that, but it wasn’t enough to mask the white cast. I’d have to always use a tinted moisturizer over this tinted sunscreen—and I'm not sure a sheer or mid-coverage product like that would mask the cast, either. Plus, using a tinted cream product atop another tinted cream product is too redundant for me to bother with. So this sunscreen’s going right back to Ulta, and I'll ask Avene directly if they plan to expand the stupidly narrow shade range. 

Sorry to hear about that.  You'd think all these companies would get it by now, that their customers have shades outside of beige 🙄

I'm highly tickled by your phrasing though, "hourglass level deception." 

@danielledanielle  As soon as I swatched this sunscreen on my hand, I had a "did Hourglass secretly make this" moment. 🤣 It swatches sooo much lighter than it looks in the compact. 

Booooo terrible shade ranges!! That's terrible, @WinglessOne, I'm sorry to hear it.

Thanks @haleyvvvv  It's hard to find a truly "universal" tinted mineral sunscreen that contains zinc oxide, and kinda insulting when a brand offers 2 shades that end up being way too light (or dark, for folks with very fair skin). 

Peace Out Retinol Eye Stick ...overhyped reviews on this.  It kind of softened the wrinkles I applied it to, but very slightly.  I don't dislike it to return it, but I don't see myself repurchasing.

Me too @danielledanielle I bought this because of the hype and reviews also. It was sold out, so it must be good right lol... wrong! It did very little for me as well and irritated the heck out of my under eye area! I'm returning! Any alternatives you found and liked?? 😊

Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 108 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos4
  • istockphoto-1136422297-612x612.jpg
  • Objects in compact are lighter than they appear.
  • 20210227_162350~2.jpg
  • 20210227_162135~3.jpg
testing