Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Hello BIC! I’m new, but it feels like I’ve always belonged here!

JennBT Intro.jpg

Hey EVERYONE!  I’m @JennBT, I’ve been here the past few months helping behind the scenes, but I thought now was a good time to introduce myself.  I’ll be here in Community for a few more months helping out @TeamBIC, while @LexBT is out on maternity leave.

Before we get into all my current beauty obsessions, let me share a little about myself: I live in the Bay area, but I am from Kentucky. I come from a long line of people who love to accessorize (Derby hats anyone?), and I was taught early on that makeup is the final touch to any good look. Our family is spread out all over the world, so we love to travel both locally and internationally! 

I can’t explain how excited I am to introduce myself to you all!  I have been a long time Sephora Shopper, and a huge lover of all things beauty!  After reading all your comments and posts, I can’t help but think I’ve found my Happy Place.

When it comes to make up, my go-to routine includes mascara, highlighter, a good lip, and if I am feeling fancy, I may throw an eye palette into the mix.

I LOVE a good highlight, and in general I’m drawn to warm tone metallics, so bring on the shine!  I’ve found they are the best complement to my deeper skin tone. I can’t tell you how much gold, bronze, and rose gold metallics you will find in my makeup bag. I’m always chasing that sun kissed glow, so I am totally open to any highlighter/bronzer suggestions!

Now, when it comes to hair, I have very coily 4a/4b, color treated hair.  I am always on the hunt for any product that hydrates coily hair and eliminates frizz and shrinkage.  Ahhhh the shrinkage!  I know some of my curly and coily hair friends can relate.  I love to give my hair a good conditioning mask and oil steam treatment (it’s like a facial for your hair).  It revives my hair and brings so much definition back to my curls.

I would love to hear any of your current hair obsessions!  I would especially like to hear any of your product recommendations for coily hair that requires a lot of moisture to protect definition and avoid shrinkage.  Here are some of my go to hair products! 

So what’s your hair routine? Drop your recommendations down below!

Re: Hello BIC! I’m new, but it feels like I’ve always belonged here!

Welcome aboard, @JennBT! I love Derby hats, though I don’t own one or live in Kentucky. Something about them always makes me smile, especially when I see so many shapes, sizes, and designs worn at a single event. My favorite accessories are rings, especially silver. And hopefully we’ll get to travel more again in a pandemic-free (or at least significantly covid-reduced) future! 

About my kinky coily hair: 
Spoiler
In the Andre Walker hair typing world, my rapidly greying hair is 4a with a few 3c patches. It’s also a frustrating mix of porosities: on wash days (once every 1 or 2 weeks), the hair framing my face is dry before I even leave the shower, while my back crown takes 12 hours to air dry. 

I have mostly medium and coarse strands, with very few fine strands. But breakage is still an occasional issue. I've had thick hair all my life, but lately it's been thinning—as to be expected with age (I'm pushing 50). And shrinkage... my natural coily state currently looks shoulder length, but it's actually mid-back length. I don't mind that amount of shrinkage, so I never straighten my hair (I haven't done that since my last relaxer 20 years ago). I do sometimes wonder how my hair would look if its natural coily state was mid-back. Then I think of how long it'd take me to gently finger-detangle ("dry," with an oil or cream product) all that hair... ugh. 🤣
Hair stuff I routinely use: 
Spoiler

I'm not fond of gel, but I do like adwoa beauty Baomint™ Moisturizing Curl Defining Gel 16 oz/ 453 g for days I want to elongate my coils—though like the leave-in style, it contains ingredients my face skin hates. 
I'm very curious: what are your top 5 favorite highlighters? (Heh, as a longtime lipstick junkie, I know it's impossible to name just one favorite of your makeup addiction items.) My fave powder highlighter is NARS Highlighting Powder St. Barths , but I also love some of other shades. I also love using various Hourglass Ambient® Lighting Finishing Powder and Hourglass Ambient® Strobe Lighting Powder as very strategically placed light reflection. PAT McGRATH LABS Skin Fetish Highlighter & Balm Duo Golden is probably my favorite cream highlighter. When I want something subtler, I reach for rms beauty Luminizer X Quad Highlighter Palette or a Glossier Play Niteshine highlighter (I wish they hadn't discontinued the play line!). If I want something very bold and "unconventional," I use a Black Moon Moonlighter. 

Welcome to our fabulous little corner of the beauty interwebs, @JennBT! We're so happy to have you with us! 

Hi @JennBT!!! I am also a big fan of a golden glow highlight, and the adwoa beauty Baomint™ Deep Conditioning Treatment 16 oz/ 453 g is my current deep conditioner. I love it!

Hey @JennBT great to have ya! I love warm toned eyeshadows too💓 For highlight, I would recommend the Anastasia Beverly Hills Sun Dipped Glow Kit® Sun Dipped unless you already have it😉 I know it’s not a new one but thought I’d throw in a mention since it’s my fav - especially “Summer” in the quad!

@JennBT Welcome!!!!!!!!!

Welcome @JennBT! 🙂

@JennBT Good to have you aboard!

Hi @JennBT 

Welcome!! 

Hi!!!

Welcome @JennBT I have family from Kentucky as well so greetings from the Midwest! The Westman Atelier Super Loaded Tinted Cream Highlighter Peau de Soleil is a GORGEOUS highlighter that you can build up or sheer out depending on what kind of mood you're in.

Welcome to BIC @JennBT  and nice to meet you!  

Welcome @JennBT !! ♥️ 

Hi, @JennBT !

Welcome to our Happy Place!  I'm so glad that you introduced yourself to us! 

I love warm gold metallics, and Olaplex Shampoo, too.

Congratulations to @LexBT !

Welcome @JennBT ❤️ I also love warm golds!

Hello @JennBT !  I'm fond of the Ouidad and Alterna lines.  I keep coming back to the Alterna Caviar shampoo and conditioner, followed by an Ouidad leave-in condition and sometimes Oribe's mousse.  The leave-in conditioner is key for me to turn my frizz back into curls.

ALTERNA Haircare Caviar Duo Moisture 

Oribe Curl Shaping Mousse 5.7 oz/ 175mL 

Hey @JennBT , welcome!

Some of my current mainstays are Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair!™ Deep Conditioning Hair Mask 8 oz/ 237 mL and Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Heat Protectant Leave-In Conditioner 3.4 oz/ 100 mL .  I use the leave in before working out with a hair serum to minimize frizz.

Ohhh thanks for the tip on the Mizani @danielledanielle. My frizz is out of control lately. I really wonder if stress can make one's hair look a little... wild? I sometimes use the Briogeo leave-in, but I really looking for that frizz control. How do you think it compares? Or are they just two completely different things?

@CarolBT , I haven't used Briogeo's leave in conditioner (just the honey mask and feel condition mask) so I can't offer a fair comparison, but it probably would work the same way.

My frizz is more sweat related, but I've definitely have experienced somatization of stress, so stress frizz is plausible.

Welcome @JennBT and congrats @LexBT !

Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • JennBT Intro.jpg
testing