Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

retinol routine

I wanted to post here because BIC was so helpful in my retinol research, especially @naturalooks15 @greeneyedgirl107 ❤️

Anyway, I didn't touch the stuff because I'd seen and read the experiences others have had with purging and skin peeling and it all just sounded way too intense. What really scared me off were the stories of women who said they started off all

gwyneth%20paltrow_7

and then out of nowhere their skin was like

That put the terror in me. I know there are other retinoids I could have tried, but it's retinol that has the most research backing it up so I really was only interested in the hard OG stuff ha ha. For years, the idea of trying it never left despite the terror.

Then Ontario's second lockdown rolled around. I knew I was hardly going to go out or get any sun and had the benefit of not wearing makeup and being able to slather on moisturizer all day. So I was like,

best-lemonade-recipe-2

dde58600be2d94cf42a9681ee3eaa64e

I read a post by @eshoe about starting 1x/week for 2 weeks then moving to 2x/week and so on and that's the timeline I used. My skin tends not to be sensitive or reactive so I picked up a bottle of The Ordinary Retinol 0.5% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL instead of the 0.2% concentration. I cleansed as per usual, patted in my Missha essence and used one drop of TO's Retinol for my entire face ha ha. But then I got paranoid and was all

349trb

so I grabbed the closest facial oil I had and added a bunch on top. When there was no burning sensations [edit: sorry for the unclear writing here - I didn't feel burning at any point, I was just expecting it given everything I'd read], I mixed one drop of the retinol with three drops of rosehip oil and applied this to my neck and decollete. I followed this up with a richer moisturizer than I normally use, Pure + Simple's Skin Drink which has shea butter in it.

I'm on week four so the second week of 2x/week and so far, no peeling or purging though some nights and even the morning after, my skin has felt tender. But not so bad that it's stopped me from using a Vitamin C serum during the days. I always follow up the retinol on my undereye area with a drop of facial oil like argan or marula and everywhere else gets a liberal helping of Skin Drink. The only changes I've made are swapping out my normal moisturizer for Skin Drink, alternating my usual serum with Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mL  and ceasing all use of AHA/BHAs. Normally I use the acids to keep my skin smooth but post retinol my skin has never been smoother! 😮 And it feels stronger and bouncier. And maybe my pores seem a little smaller?? The effect also lasts half the week. It's like your favourite face mask that keeps on going. This stuff is seriously potent, and more efficacious than AHAs/BHAs ever were for me. I feel vindicated by science!!

billboard-edge-undergrad

Will update you all if anything changes but so far, so good! Listen to your skin and if you don't have sensitivities, don't be afraid. I hope sharing my new routine helps other newbies. Thank you to everyone who shared their retinol advice here on BIC xo 😘

Re: retinol routine

Thought I'd update now that it's been 1.5 years. I've settled for using retinols 2x per week and am using Sunday Riley Luna Retinol Sleeping Night Oil 35 mL on my face and The Ordinary Retinol 0.5% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL #for my neck mixed with The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL . I think the Luna is weaker than The Ordinary because it's less irritating to my skin.

I've also integrated AHAs and BHAs into my routine at the same time as the retinol with products like Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One AHA Lactic Acid Treatment 1.7 oz / 50 ml. I think while the retinols really smoothed out my skill, the BHAs in particular, helps to reduce the appearance of pores. My skin's acclimatized to the point where I can use both retinol and acids though I still don't use them both on the same day.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my routine. I don't need to wear foundation that much these days. MANY THANKS to everyone posting about their experiences with retinol, it really helped me and I think gave me the will to be patient ❤️

Thought I'd update this thread since it's not common to get updates after months of use.

I stopped using The Ordinary Retinol 0.5% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL during the summer went back to very occasionally using acids like Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One AHA Lactic Acid Treatment and didn't think too much of it. The skin at my neck pretty much stayed the same. I didn't notice too much difference with my facial skin except that the fine lines under my eyes seemed deeper. But when I started using retinol again last week, my skin felt noticeably smoother after and with just 4x of use, the lines are back to where they used to be. So I'm reaching the conclusion that retinol is just more efficacious than acids for me.

I received a sample for Sunday Riley Luna Retinol Sleeping Night Oil so I've just started trying that now. I wish they would list the percentage of retinol and read it was quite low but to be honest, it felt more stingy than The Ordinary. I also received an older formula it seems - when there was still straight up retinol in it. The current formula uses HYDROXYPINACOLONE RETINOATE instead. I'll update when I've used Luna for longer. I like how it is not as viscous as The Ordinary.

@pocketvenus Thanks for sharing your update.  I ❤️ retinol!

As an update, it's been a little over 10 weeks of retinol use 2x/week. It doesn't make my skin sensitive anymore 🙂 I can now put it right on my face without following up with another facial oil.

Far from drying out my skin, I'd say there's been improved texture and a distinct lack of winter dryness since using retinol. But that could also be because I started using heavier moisturizers and taking it seriously. After 10 weeks, it feels like my skin has plumped up at the tops of my cheeks around the cheekbone area. There has been some minor reduction in the lines at the corners of my eyes which is unexpected because I definitely did NOT pat in any product there. So maybe that's just from increased moisturizing! The most noticeable change has actually been my neck where I was starting to get creases.

For the record, my skin tends to be on the oily side, especially my eyelids, but it is not prone to breakouts.

I'm thinking of slowly reintroducing BHAs now that my skin isn't fazed at all by the retinol, hopefully it isn't too much 🍀

@pocketvenus Retinol is my skin's favorite ingredient! Actually my skin hates me without it. That sounds dramatic but I'm literally a before and after commercial of horrible cystic acne and the retinol taking it away as well as the pitted scars. I use the strongest I can find and it doesn't bother my skin. That said I ordinarily can't use Vitamin C products with it.

@curlychiquita So glad you found something that works so well and that your skin can tolerate it! I have definitely seen some dramatic before/after photos online. I haven't seen anything so dramatic with my own skin but I'm pretty happy with how smooth it's gotten and everything I read suggests it's a long game with retinol.

What is your favorite product?

@oliviatritsis Sorry I missed this, I've only been aware of posts I'm tagged in! I don't have a favourite since I haven't tried anything except The Ordinary Retinol 0.5% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

@pocketvenus  Thanks for the tag.    I am impressed by your story telling skills !!  😀 It was a good read in the middle of a busy work day. So glad that your experience was uneventful. After all that experimentation, I settled at 2X week max and if I feel retinol in-between, I use DDG retinol eye serum all over my face because my current retinol is just too strong for me personally for anything more than twice. 

I think my experience was the way it was esp because I directly jumped in with Drunk elephant A-Passioni which is 1% though I buffered it and it's supposed to have soothing ingredients, it's still was quite strong for complete newbie. I also learnt in this last year that DE retinol lasts forver. I am still on the same tube ha ha 😂 and I think it will last me till summer.

I got a sample of Shani Darden retinol which I have heard is milder and plan to try that 3X week after I pan/finish the DE one. 

@naturalooks15 yes, I totally remember your thread with the first pic of all the products squeezed out 🙂 It was super helpful. Especially because I was thinking of the DE too. That is amazing you're still on the same tube!!!! I mean, I guess very little product is needed each time and it's not being used daily. And thanks for the update - I'm thinking of keeping things to 2x/week too but it's very early to tell.

So glad I could entertain too! The pandemic has increased my responsibilities and skincare is one of the few things I can still do for myself, so I figure I might as well have some fun with it! 😄

@pocketvenus Wow!  What a great post ❤️ ❤️ ❤️  I'm SO HAPPY that you are doing so well with the retinol.  You really did turn lemons into lemonade.  🙂  Keep up the good work.  I'll be interested to hear about your journey.

And I can't believe I helped in some small way!

@greeneyedgirl107 Thank you for being so encouraging! <333 I will stick with this stuff and am happy to contribute by reporting back 🙂

@pocketvenus Persistence is key.  I remember when I first start Retin-A - my skin was so dry.  But I'm glad I powered through it.  And you seem like the transition is easier than that.  I wish you the best!  🙂

@greeneyedgirl107 Thank you <333

Lol! This was an entertaining post, thank you!! Baha.  I tried using tretinoin.  At first, I went too fast, too soon, and my face pretty much burned off.  I was rosey and shiny, it was not a good look at all, I coated myself in aquaphor for a few days.  I stopped using it for a few weeks, then tried again, but much slower!!! This time, I stuck with it for about 2-3 months and nothing was happening, I was just crusty and my skin did not look fresh at all.  I decided to stop altogether, and guess what, now my skin is perfectly happy and plump and moisturized!! Perhaps I'll try it again in the future, but for now it seems like my skin doesn't like/need it.  For reference, my skin is pretty normal (dry all over in the winter, and in the summer my nose and chin are oily while the rest is pretty happy).  I have no acne or noticeable wrinkles yet (I am 31).  

@sabrinas Anytime, I figured with everything going on in the world we could use a laugh 🙂 Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm sorry it was rough going at first but glad your skin is now so happy! 

@pocketvenus i too have been similarly scared by retinol too. I don't feel brave enough yet.

@sprocketta It is a leap of faith for sure!! There are lower concentrations than what I started with and I read some women reporting not much happening with 0.2% so there are gentler products than what I'm trying. When TO formulas are so cheap it's easy to make a switch. Plus there are all the retinoids which are supposed to be gentler too! But yeah, the scary stories are next level.

Bwahahaha @pocketvenus 😂 Oh boy, can I relate! Your post cracks me up. 

Even after filling a careful routine, retinol just wasn’t for me. My skin started to look...strange. Bakuchiol has been my best skin friend forever💗 but retinol has done wonders for so many people, so who knows? Good luck to you, I will be tagging along:) Thank you for sharing your experience!!!

ps oof I forgot about the skin tenderness 😢 Ot sounds like things have improved 100% since then, yay!! 

@eshoe Thanks for the update! Glad you found something that works better for you 🙂 I tried a bit of the Bakuchiol when a Sephora rep gave me a sample but I was skeptical and didn't stick with it. Now I'm reading many good things about it!!

Yes, the tenderness is definitely enough for me to keep it going slow. I might actually stay with 2x/week only since I'm already seeing results, we'll see!

24 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 92 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
Photos6
  • dde58600be2d94cf42a9681ee3eaa64e
  • gwyneth%20paltrow_7
  • best-lemonade-recipe-2
  • billboard-edge-undergrad
  • 349trb
testing