Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

no idea where to start!

hi babes! so i’m 24 y/o, i have combo oily/ dry skin and have some acne. i’ve been super neglectful to my skin over the years and i want to start taking better care off it! i just started a job at a tanning salon so i’m bed tanning regularly now, i know i need products with no alcohol or sulfates but i have absolutely no idea where to start or what products i should be getting! i like the idea of using a whole line of products from the same brand but i’m open to all suggestions! 

what do i need?? i’ve only ever used basic drug store face washes and pretty much nothing else. i would like to get on a whole regimen 🥰 

help?? 💕

Tags:

Re: no idea where to start!

Hi I’m 24 and love skin care lol. I recommend sticking to clean beauty products. You can try some starter kits to see what you like! Some I recommend are 

Biossance Your Clean Routine – Fresh Start Set 

Glow Recipe Glow Fruit Bar Vault Set *** good for dry skin**** 

Herbivore Moment of Clarity Smooth Skin Set 

Farmacy The Giving Back Pack 

Youth To The People The Youth System™ 

Here are some important things I’ve learned over the years because I like to tan and have dry skin 

1. Retinol. Don’t wear it in the day only at night and I’m in love with Sunday Riley Luna Retinol Sleeping Night Oil . It’s not drying, some retinols can leave your skin peeling. This is the first that hasn’t done that to me.  

2. Definitely get a vitamin C serum, not only does it correct dark spots, it protects you from the sun as well as toxins in the atmosphere because it’s an antioxidant. So far I like Youth To The People 15% Vitamin C + Clean Caffeine Energy Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL or Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Firming Oil Original 

3. BHA’s can be very drying so try to only use those at night and try the Glow Recipe Mini Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner 1.35 oz/ 40 mL. The mini will let you see how your skin reacts before dropping the big bucks. It’s more hydrating than the Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant 8 oz/ 236 mL which is a good option as well but not for dry skin. 

4. Always wear sun screen. Supergoop! SPF Bestsellers Starter Kit . Supergoop! Has so many great options. 

Hope this helps 🙂

Re: no idea where to start!

I'd start with a good base routine of cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen, @caseymlawson. Once you have that place, you might add in a BHA treatment to help with the breakouts and perhaps a hydrating product to help balance out your skin. I prefer to mix and match from different brands since most brands won't hit every category out of the park, but that's really up to you. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't add to please be careful with the tanning bed usage since it's known to increase the chance for skin cancer. Make sure you get regular skin checks with your dermatologist. 

Here are a few product suggestions to get you started:

cleanser-

philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser 

fresh Soy pH-Balanced Hydrating Face Wash 

First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 

moisturizer- 

belif The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb (the aqua version is a little lighter if you tend to be more oily than dry)

Caudalie Vinosource-Hydra Moisturizing Sorbet 1.3 oz/ 40 mL (or if you lean drier, you might go for the SOS version)

Etude House Moistfull Collage Cream

Sunscreen- 

Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 PA+++ 

COOLA Mineral Sun Silk Crème SPF 30 1.5 oz/ 44 mL 

BHA-

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant 8 oz/ 236 mL 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Clarifying Peel Pads 60 Pads 

Hydrating-

belif Hungarian Water Essence 2.53 oz/ 75 mL 

Benton Snail Bee Essence

Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mL 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing