Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

The Meh Chronicles

We have a thread for HG products, and we have a thread for products that didn't work for you, but what I'm interested in hearing about is the middle of the road stuff.

I try a ton of products because I'm very curious but I've noticed my list of ehhhhh has increased a fair bit this year, so it got me wondering what everyone else thinks is just meh. 

Things you've tried that were fine but not repurchaseable?  Things that didn't knock your socks off?  Things that were delightfully average?  Or just things that didn't live up to the hype?  Please share, I'd love to hear it! 

(no product bashing please, this is not meant to be a thread for complaints)

To start off, a few of my recent ok, but won't buy agains:

- Uma Clarifying Oil

This is fine, there's nothing 'wrong' with it. I bought it before I'd heard anyone on here talking about it, and it does work well for clarifying breakouts but it smells (to me) and it's $$$ for what it is, and the Uma line in general is too citrus heavy for me. I used it up, but would not repurchase.

- Mun Skin Anarose Toner

I've tried a ridiculous # of toners this year and I remember loving this when I first bought it but as I worked my way through the bottle, not only had I found others I enjoyed more, but I started to get bored with this. It's a very basic rose toning spritz at a not basic price.

- Odacite Autumn on the World

I've actually repurchased this once previously before making up my mind that it definitively wasn't worth it for me. It's ok at brightening skin and fading pigmentation, but I still found I got better results from their Summer serum.

- The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution

This one was perhaps a case of expectations not matching reality. I had been expecting it to be just as good as Pixi, and while they both perform similar functions, this was definitely the product that made me realize how much enjoyment/experience still factors into my skincare decisions.

- Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask

I have known SO many people who love this mask but I have never managed to understand the hype. I've purchased a FS once, and I use up DS when I get them, but it doesn't work any miracles for me. If anything, I'd probably call it a 'training wheels' kind of peel because it is quite gentle so it can help people become accustomed to regular peeling.

- Organic Skin La Belle Lune serum

One of my few frivolous/mostly unresearched purchases. I picked this up solely because  I was intrigued by a few girls I met at a skincare class telling me how amazing it was.  5 months later CH ended up writing it up and I think if I'd waited to read that, I probably would not have purchased, because I dislike all the products she lists as comparable to it 🙂 It worked fine to soften and soothe, but it didn't do much else for me.

So, what products are only mailing it in for you? Do tell!

Anonymous Insider

RE: The Meh Chronicles

RE: The Meh Chronicles

It could be that you skin is balancing. I often find when I try products for minimising or balancing oil production, I have a few days of overproduction before it evens out.

Re: The Meh Chronicles

Sunday Riley CEO Cream. It smelled delicious and the consistency was thick enough to moisturize, initially. However, it contributes to massive greasiness later in the day, and I have dry skin! Beautypedia also mentioned that the jar packaging nullifies the antioxidants in the cream over time, so I'm unsure if I was ever getting the full vit C dose. 

@myumew Yes to everything you said about CEO. So greasy, I finished half of my tub and moved onto something less oily. It was expensive though and I’m pretty sure all the active vit C is null now I’m trying to use it up overnight now and then when I just need to let go of it! 

Like @snoflakefaerie, I may have to hide after this one lol

Shiseido cotton squares. After a lifetime of stiffer, tougher drugstore cotton rounds, these were just too soft and delicate for my taste...by the time I was done with one, it had typically disintegrated into a wad of fluff. I guess I'm harder on my cotton than I realized lol.

If I ever found some amazing clearance deal and snagged them cheaper that ulta brand, I'd pick up more and maybe learn not to manhandle them quite so badly...but for the retail price, they are squarely in the meh column for me, and I would not repurchase.

I tried them and liked them but I found a drugstore dupe for them. Half the price, just as soft, 50% more pads. 

I have a large stash of Shiseido cotton I'm working through, but I feel the same as well @RGbrown

I don't know what it is but I always find they leave lint on my face, which drives me bonkers!

I'm going to go hide after I post this because I'm sure no one will feel the same...

The Viseart Petit Pro and Theory palettes. I don't know if these are formulated a bit differently than the larger ones, or if I've built up the brand to be something more than it is, but I wasn't blown away by them like I thought I would be. I didn't find them to be significantly better than a lot of my collection, which for how much more expensive it is, I expected. I thought I was going to love the brand and pick up more of the Theory palettes and/or perhaps a big one, but I have absolutely no desire to do so.

This more than a meh product for me. Straight up disappointment for the price and I would return them if I could.

@snoflakefaerie @lachaton is correct, I also had a similar experience with the Theory palettes.

Viseart swore up and down when I asked about it that they are the same formulation as the big palettes, but I have not had even remotely the same experience with the Theories as I have with the FS ones (and I have all the FS matte and shimmers)

@lachaton @Mochapj I'm a bit relieved to hear your experiences with the larger palettes are that they perform better than the Theory ones. From all the you tube reviews I was watching, I really thought I was crazy for my experience. Maybe I won't write the brand off completely before trying a full sized palette.

I believe @Mochapj had a similar experience with the Theory palettes. 

I like my Theory palettes but I do prefer the larger palettes (the shadows do seem to hold up better).

- I wasn't into makeup when it first came out but once I started growing my collection I bought the UD Naked palette. It's nothing to write home about. Compared to things I had already bought, it just wasn't exciting. 

- Philosophy Purity cleanser is a meh bordering on bleh. It didn't do anything particularly nice for my skin and I dislike the smell enough that I didn't even use it to clean my brushes. I also didn't like or dislike Hope in a Jar.

Ooh fun! This happens to me a lot with expensive skin care because if it does not perform significantly differently than a cheaper option I just can't see spending the money again. One that comes to mind is the drunk elephant lala retro whipped cream. It is a fine cream but I don't think it performs significantly differently than like products .... I didn't dislike it so I didn't return it but I cant see spending that much again. 

The first thing that comes to mind is the Clinique Dramatically Different moisturizing gel.  I got a large bottle ages ago and while it's not a bad product, it just does nothing even remotely exciting for me.  I actually call it the most Meh product I own.  I've been using it to moisturize my arms in an attempt to use up the bottle.  It's just so boring!!Image result for bored gif

YES @michelleshops! I am currently trying to dwindle down my bottle of the Clinique gel. I have to layer it with another moisturizer to make sure it's actually doing anything. It's fine, but it isn't great, and maybe not even good. 

Best use of a Tim Curry gif, ever 😄

@michelleshops This stuff is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread! The most "meh" product I've ever used haha.

@michelleshops I had this a while back. It didn't do anything for me either. I think Clinique for me is just meh in general.  It's what has kept me from trying their Take the Day Off Balm that a bunch of YTers rave about.

@makeitup305 I am similarly "meh" about a lot of Clinique stuff, but the Take The Day Off balm is 100% worth the hype. It really does get EVERYTHING off, you only need to use a little bit, and it washes off completely with just water and hands. I really can't recommend it enough!

@makeitup305 I used to feel the way about Clinique but they've been impressing me lately. I'm particularly impressed by their Chubby Sticks and reformulated lipsticks, the Pop line I think they call it? The tubes are square. Take Of The Day Balm is a fantastic makeup remover to - I love it for traveling since it already comes in a mini so I don't have to transfer it and it lasts forever, plus there is no worry about it spilling or leaking. 

43 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing