cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Sunscreen for brown skin

Hi. 

I need help choosing a sunscreen. I started using the Cover FX sunscreen drops but you have to reapply it every two hours. 

I'm trying to find a sunscreen that won't have a white/grey overcast when I apply it. I really like the drops because I mix it in my makeup. 

I'm in between Coolas sun silk drops https://www.sephora.com/product/full-spectrum-360-sun-silk-drops-spf-30-P429516?icid2=products%20gri... and supergoops glow stick https://www.sephora.com/product/glow-stick-sunscreen-spf-50-P429953?icid2=products%20grid:p429953:pr.... I've heard good things about both but I need help choosing a sunscreen. I would love to hear other recommendations as well. 

Re: Sunscreen for brown skin

I use Coola Sun Silk Drops, usually without mixing it into anything. It’s completely invisible on my skin tone and gives me a radiant glow-from-within look. It’s a full spectrum blocker: it protects skin from UVA, UVB, and HEV (blue light). A friend of mine is sensitive to blue light and he uses Sun Silk Drops religiously. 

Another completely invisible sunscreen is SUPERGOOP! - Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40 which I always use under my eyes and on my lids. Sometimes I also use it all over my face. I especially like to use it where I have hyperpigmentation and darker skin tone, since it doesn’t create a weird ashy tone there. This is also a full spectrum sunscreen. 

I love COOLA - Mineral Face SPF 30 - Matte Tint But I have to warn you: depending on how deep your skin tone is, the tint can make you look ashy. It has that effect on the outer edges of my face, especially in the summer. So I don’t use it there; I use Unseen Sunscreen there instead, and this Coola sunscreen everywhere else. This is a broad spectrum sunscreen with no HEV protection. 

I just recently tried CoTZ sensitive mineral sunscreen—the one that’s spf 50 and contains 20% zinc. It’s fairly easy to blend out to an invisible coverage. But on my skin, it feels very thick and greasy. I have to run setting or finishing powder over it to reduce the shine, especially on my oily zone. 

And as @RGbrown  mentioned, you’ll need to reapply any sunscreen every few hours. I have the Supergoop powder and it’s not bad. I like how easily portable it is compared to the spray (which I’m not super fond of). Sometimes I also carry a mini size Unseen Sunscreen for reapplication. 

Hi @EshR

I really like Dermalogica Prisma Protect SPF 30 Moisturizer. It does not leave a white cast and it works great with my foundation. They also have a primer that works well with or without makeup. It's hard to find a sunscreen that does not make me look ashy, but this one does work. I hope that this helps. 

Best,

Zakiya

All sunscreens need to be reapplied if you’re in the sun. Murad makes a great one, neutrogena has a lot that work on my dark skin

coola spray or Peter Roth powder is good too. There a couple sunscreen kits at Sephora where you can try different sunscreens that how I found most of these. My derm gave me samples of the drugstore ones.

TARTE - Tarteguard Mineral Powder Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30

Murad Invisiblur™ Perfecting Face Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 PA+++ 1 oz/ 30 mL

COOLA Organic Makeup Setting Spray SPF 30 1.5 oz

@EshR 

If reapplying every two hours is your only quibble with the CoverFX, keep using them. *Every* sunscreen needs to be reapplied every two hours or so. Instead, look for powders or sprays with SPF that you can put on top without disturbing your makeup. There are a few products out there (but IMHO there's a huge gap in the market in this area, and I haven't found an HG product yet, so I don't have specific recommendations...perhaps someone else does though)

Hi @EshR,

If you're looking for a sunscreen that is light and will not give a white cast, I recommend the KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Super Fluid Daily UV Defense Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50+.

I have also tried Coola sunscreens and they are great for women of color. My favorite is the COOLA - Mineral Face SPF 30 - Matte Tint.

I like the matte tint because you can use it as a primer underneath makeup that will fill in your pores and give your skin a smooth appearance.

I hope this helps!

Stay Gorgeous,

Penelope

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing