Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Sunday Riley Good Genes

I’m confused about how to incorporate this into my skin care routine. Cleanse, then exfoliate with Sunday Riley Good Genes, then tone and moisturize? Or tone before Good Genes?

Re: Sunday Riley Good Genes

Just an FYI “Good Genes” is a lactic acid which is a chemical peel. You shouldn’t ever leave lactic acid on your face over night. You are only trying to take the top layer of skin off, not layers of your skin. It is always best to moisturize after a chemical peel because they are drying and could cause irritation, which the moisturizer can prevent. It would be nice if those replying to comments here actually knew what they were talking about. Just a thought.

p.s. I thought this was a given but apparently not, you should wash off the chemical peel aka lactic acid aka “Good genes” prior to applying your usual moisturizer and possibly even wash it twice if you have sensitive skin. 

@MizOnesty The mere presence of lactic acid (or glycolic acid, for that matter) doesn't mean a product is a rinse-off chemical peel. 

Chemical peels usually contain high amounts of an exfoliant—usually an AHA (alphahydroxy acid) like glycolic acid and/or lactic acid—and are meant to be rinsed off* after a few minutes. The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL is an example of a chemical peel. That product should absolutely not be left on the skin longer than 10 minutes. The Ordinary themselves stress that in their instructions. 

Now, compare that to The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 1 oz/ 30 mL which is NOT a chemical peel. That product is a leave-on exfoliant. For many folks, 5% or 10% AHA is within the safe strength range to leave on the skin. Folks with sensitive skin can (and should) rinse off if needed, of course. 

* EDIT: Rinsed off or neutralized. Some peels are sold with a neutralizer pad/serum/solution that's used instead of a rinse-off step. Other peels, like The Ordinary's 30% AHA, can be stopped by simply rinsing the face with water. There's no need to use a cleanser to rinse off a chemical peel, unless the peel's (or the performing dermatologist's or esthetician's) instructions state otherwise. 

This is incorrect, @MizOnesty. If someone has sensitive skin, they can of course use lactic acid as a short-contact wash-off mask. But for the majority of people, lactic acid (in small percentages, like in Good Genes) is meant to be left on the skin. 

RE: Sunday Riley Good Genes

@lisadiane324 It depends on your skin. Are you sensitive? If you are, it’s recommended that you use Good Genes as a mask do 10-15 minutes. Use it as a mask, then follow with your normal routine. If you’re not sensitive and oily (like me) you can apply it as your last step and leave it on overnight. If you’re dry, you can apply it at night or day. Lactic acids are great for dry skin. I find that it makes me too shiny for daytime use. As far as order, I cleanse, tone, Luna (let set for 5-10 min) then apply Good Genes. I personally don’t like to apply a moisturizer on top since I’m going to bed anyway.

My routine is ceramic slip cleanser, Luna oil, good genes, and tidal water cream. It’s suggested in the “how to use” section in the good genes tab to use tidal on top to help with brightening of acne scars. Plus gg is too drying on its own in my opinion so I have to add a cream on top or my skin cracks and dries from the strong ingredients of gg. Hope I helped!

I use it after I cleanse, tone, use my Luna oil, then my...

I use it after I cleanse, tone, use my Luna oil, then my Good Genes. If I'm feeling extra dry I use a moisturizer on top of that, but I heard that GG has a barrier so whatever you put on top can't penetrate it and I don't want to waste my products. lol Hope this helps.

It depends on the toner you are using. If it's a pH balan...

It depends on the toner you are using. If it's a pH balancing toner, use it before GG. If it's a hydrating toner, use it after. And then follow with moisturizer.

Hi, I was told that since Good Genes has silicone in it, to use it last, and nothing will penetrate the silicone. I got this second-hand, so not sure if moisturizer on top is a waste of time? Not sure.

Hi! I use Good Genes as part of my nighttime routine but I’m sure it would be the same. I cleanse, tone, (then Luna oil for me), Good Genes, and then moisturizer as my final step. Hope this helps!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 21 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing