Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Suggestions Please!!

Hi. I've always had combination skin. As I've gotten older (44) it has changed. I was told I have rosacea and dermatitis. The dry flaky skin is on my cheeks and forehead (sometimes). I feel like I've tried everything. Smiley SadI recently tried Sunday Riley, it made me break out. I'm now using Josie Maran milk but it's not enough for my forehead. Any help is appreciated. I'm looking mostly for a moisturizer and anything to help with dryness, anti aging, and won't make me break out. Thanks!

Re: Suggestions Please!!

Aloha @charlyc!  I recently experienced my first bout with dermatitis and was so frustrated!  I visited my doctor and got a prescription for an antibiotic cream, which helped start the healing, but I needed something else.  Aside from exfoliating with my Dr. Dennis Gross ES peel pads and using my AmorePacific Enzyme peel (of which I took down to only three days a week vs my usual seven days a week), I went in with May Lindstrom's Honey Mud for cleansing, May Lindstrom Jasmine Garden Facial Mist (which contains colloidal silver and that seemed to help a lot.  I got advice from May herself for this regimen) and Blue Cocoon ONLY for about five days and it completely healed it.  This is a pricey, pricey, pricey line, however, you use so little that it lasts forever (almost a year, depending on how often you use it...i'm an addict of the smell alone so it will generally last me about six to nine months! LOL).  Again, this line is what I consider to be a skin care investment.  I am 45 and have no problem investing in products that work.  You can get all of these products in cheaper sample sizes at a variety of online retailers, as well.

More affordable and easier to find options would be: 

https://www.sephora.com/dr-jart  (I love this product!!)

https://www.sephora.com/belif 

https://www.sephora.com/ole-henriksen

Hope this helps!  I am happy to give you some further suggestions if you'd like!  Much Aloha!

Anonymous Insider

Hi @charlyc, I have combo-dry, sensitive skin and it gets even more dry in the winter months. I find that regular exfoliating  (2-3 times per week) and layering hydrating products helps to keep my skin moisturized.  It sounds like you have found a good exfoliant - the Dr. Dennis Gross pads that @txcatx are great and according to your post, it looks like they work for you as well. In terms of moisturizer, if your skin is very dry, I recommend Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream or Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream - both are good at soothing and hydrating rosacea-prone skin. If you find creams to be too heavy or irritating for your skin, you might want to try using an oil in lieu of a cream-moisturizer, like Biossance 100% Squalane Oil.

https://www.sephora.com/product/ceramidin-cream-P382354?skuId=1564715&icid2=products%20grid:p382354

https://www.sephora.com/product/rose-deep-hydration-face-cream-P406686

https://www.sephora.com/product/100-squalane-oil-P416564?skuId=1923564&icid2=products%20grid:p416564

It sounds like you may have already consulted with a doctor/dermatologist about your skin issues? 

If so, and no further suggestions were given, then I suggest trying Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta peels. They're a favorite around here with good reason. One treatment, and my dry, flaky skin is fixed--even dry flakes on my nose after a cold or bad seasonal allergies. Plus, they have anti-aging ingredients and don't break out my sensitive skin, so it's a win. 

I have tried those and actually used them the other day. My skin was great after. Then it got cold here and my skin flaked. Is it a combo of the peel and weather? Do you have a moisturizer you recommend? 

Anonymous Insider

RE: Suggestions Please!!

I use Cosrx snail mucin essence (not crazy expensive and super hydrating) and follow with Ole Henriksen truth serum. I’ll apply Tarte facial oil and then lock it in with a moisturizer. For exfoliating I use neogen lemon biopeel or one of Ole’s many abrasive scrubs. I’ll also use ole’s chamomile clay mask to detox and hydrate. In addition I often use night masks. Ole has a night treatment which you can layer under oil and moisturizer. (That one works great but is pretty stingy when you first put it on). Laneige has a night mask that’s good and there’s GlamGlow night duo which is awesome. Check out K beauty for other night masks, although they are becoming more popular with mainstream brands. For the redness, check out tiger grass. I think it’s made by dr jart. When I first started using Ole products I broke out some. Not a lot but a pimple here or there. But if it’s where your acne usually is, stay with it because it might just be a purge. Try to give any new routine at least a month before calling it quits to allow for a full cycle of skin turnover.

Re: RE: Suggestions Please!!

Very helpful. Thank you sooo much!

Anonymous Insider

When skin changes , when you breakout more or have dryness... the best thing to do is to give your skin a break. I would trade your face wash for a micellaire water and use only one new product at the time. Also thermal water is a safe choice. You can put some on a cotton pad and do 5 min patch where your skin is red and dry. For moisturizer, go fragrance free. Also we all have different types of skin so you have to find the routine that suits your needs.

Thank you.

@charlyc the healing ointment by CeraVe could help. It is greasy feeling, but I think if you apply it only at nighttime on the areas that you need it should be fine and definitely help with the flaky dry patches. Drunk Elephant, their moisturizer and cleansers are fragrance free and gentle. In my opinion a great option for dry/ sensitive skin (which I do have) and I use almost everything from the brand , so I highly recommend. Check out Super Rescue™ Antioxidant Night Moisturizer by Clinique as well, for this moisturizer they have a different formula for each skin type and it is a good one too.

Great ideas. Thank you sooo much!

Dermadoctor has a few nice cleansers here.

Dermadoctor has a few nice cleansers here.

Re: Dermadoctor has a few nice cleansers here.

Thank you, I'll check them out.

CeraVe Moisturizing Face Wash is wonderful. 

Yes, Cerave does have good products.

14 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing