Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare routine

Please please please recommend a simple skincare routine. I’m in my 40’s ... There are so many choices and brands that it is overwhelming!!!

im a nurse and work long hours wearing a mask all day. My skin is combination. I struggle with broken capillaries, dullness, uneven skin tone, fine lines and wrinkles... none of the above are terrible but it’s time to start a routine...my biggest concern is puffy eyes!!!!! I want as few products as possible 

Re: Skincare routine

@missyrawls76 I rec tackling one thing at a time so that you don't feel overwhelmed.  An easy place to start might be with the puffiness.  I've read on BIC that The INKEY List Caffeine De-puffing + Dark Circle Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL is a good one to decrease puffiness.

For fine lines and wrinkles, AHA, retinol and antioxidants are a great place to start.  For AHA, Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant 3.3 oz/ 100 mL is good.  I use 10% by Alpha Skin Care.  For antioxidants, I like Paula's Choice Pore Purifier* (not sold at Sephora) and First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Hydrating Serum (although I liked it better *before* they took out the peptides!).  For retinol, a good beginner one is First Aid Beauty FAB Skin Lab Retinol Serum 0.25% Pure Concentrate 1 oz/ 30 mL .  Start slow with it 🙂

I don't have a good one size fits all product for evening out skin tone, but for me a game changer was a more gentle cleanser.  I've been using First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser .  

*This should also help with dullness.  Niacinamide is also known for making skin brighter, although it didn't make much of a difference for me.  The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL is a good one.  I also like Youth To The People Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist with Peptides 4 oz/ 118 mL for more glow-y skin.

I know this is a lot, so maybe take it one product at a time.  The easiest to start with would be eye de-puffer, antioxidants.  🙂

If you're new to skincare, @missyrawls76, start with building a good base routine- cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen. Once you have that in place, then you can add in treatments to tackle specific issues like skin tone, fine lines, etc. 

Here are a few options to get you started in your skincare search--

cleansers: philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser fresh Soy Hydrating Gentle Face Cleanser Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 

moisturizers: belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb Limited Edition 3.38 oz/ 100 mL (or moisturizing bomb if you lean more dry), OLEHENRIKSEN Sheer Transformation® Perfecting Moisturizer Kate Somerville Goat Milk Moisturizing Cream 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

sunscreen: COOLA Mineral Sun Silk Crème SPF 30 1.5 oz/ 44 mL Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 

Once you have your base routine in place, products with retinoid products would be helpful for the fine lines and wrinkles and a good vitamin C serum can really help with dullness and overall evening out of skin tone. 

Hi!! @missyrawls76 

I'm not in my 40s, but I can recommend some basics. 

A good cleanser is a nice place to start. Sephora recommends The Inkey List Oat Cleansing Balm as a cleanser. 

I also recommend the MaryKay Hydrogel Eye patches (available at Marykay.com) to help out with under-eye puffiness. 

For your uneven skin tone, Sephora recommends Topicals Faded Serum For Dark Spots & Discoloration. 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing