cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Searching for the perfect sunscreen

Hey Sephora community!

I’m searching for a sunscreen I can use every day. 

Everything I’ve tried has given me sunscreen-related pimples. 

The only thing that has worked, was the Beet Shield by Krave Beauty that had to be removed from the market until the FDA approves it.

I’m now using Dr. Dennis, but it also causes breakouts on my skin. 

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Searching for the perfect sunscreen

Hi @anisorfer ! If you're still searching: without knowing which sunscreen ingredients (could be a specific UV blocker or some other ingredient in the sunscreens) lead to your breakouts, it's kinda hard to recommend good options. I have a few questions: 

1. Do you only have this problem with chemical sunscreens, or does it also happen with physical/mineral sunscreens that contain zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide? 

2. Have you cross-referenced the ingredients in the problematic sunscreens you've tried? Are there any common ingredients among them? That exercise might help you narrow down the culprit(s). For instance, some folks with acne-prone skin find that dimethicone-based sunscreens seem to cause new breakouts, even though dimethicone's a good moisturizing ingredient. Other folks are skin-sensitive to specific UV blocker ingredients. 

3. Beet Shield gave a dewy finish, right? (I've never used it.) Is that the finish you prefer, or do you not have a preference for dewy, matte, "natural/radiant," etc.? 

4. I assume you want a non-tinted sunscreen...? 

If you want a dewy sunscreen: have you tried OMI Verdio UV Moisture Essence SPF 50? It's Japanese and one of my favorite chemical sunscreens. It's also gotten a bit hard to find. Try YesStyle or Stylevana. 

You might want to try some mineral sunscreens, if you haven't yet. If dimethicone's not causing your issues, CoTZ Sensitive SPF 40 Non-tinted sunscreen leaves practically no white cast on my deeper skin tone and does leave a rather shiny finish. You can probably still find it at Ulta, if you're in the US. 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing