Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Retinol on my neck

Hey, I was just wondering if it a good idea to apply the retinol 0.2% from the ordinary to my neck and chest? I have a good skin care for my face but when I do apply some products to my neck it get really itchy, in which I started to develop rash(it’s good now) but I don’t want to leave my neck out of my skincare cause I can’t be having a great face but a weird looking neck. So I was just wondering if it’s safe to use retinol on my neck and chest area( or anywhere but my face) 

Tags:

Re: Retinol on my neck

Yes! You can apply most face products to your body. I actually do this a lot to use up products I’m “done” using on my face. Just do a patch test and see if your skin can handle it/likes it and you should be good! 

@redrosegirl11 I've been doing it for 10 weeks using the 0.5% concentration. It definitely made my neck itchy at first. I still dilute it with The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL. I started with 1 drop retinol and 2 drops rose and now that I've built up tolerance it's now 1:1, no irritation.

Yes!! I apply all my skincare all the way down onto my neck and chest. As well as the backs of my hands. 

@redrosegirl11  Yep, you can use retinol on your neck, and The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL might be a strength low enough for that skin to handle. Neck skin is thinner than facial skin and has fewer sebaceous (oil) glands. This makes your neck more sensitive than your face, which is why some of your facial skincare products irritate your neck. You may want to patch test an area of your neck before layering retinol to that whole area. Might also want to apply this serum over moisturizer on your neck as an irritation buffer. 

Or, you could use something even gentler than that retinol serum on your neck, like Paula's Choice RESIST Barrier Repair Moisturizer with Retinol 1.7 oz/ 50 mL : at just 0.01% retinol, it’s an easy one-step (after cleansing) serum + moisturizer routine for your neck. 

Whatever you use, start slow: use retinol just once a week on your neck for several weeks, then gradually increase usage. 

I use a 0.1% retinaldehyde serum on most of my face (retinaldehyde is more potent than retinol) and The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz / 30 ml on my neck and undereyes. I always apply TIL Retinol over moisturizer. This retinol serum's not as strong as TIL makes it sound, thanks to the types of retinoids it contains (granactive retinoid + RetiSTAR retinol). It used to be my full face retinol serum, so I'm very familiar with it and kinda knew how my neck would handle it. But I don't use it more than twice a week on my neck. 

@redrosegirl11 @I totally use retinol and other skin care in my neck. But as you’ve had reactions before it sounds like you should test patch 

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing