Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Purge vs Breakouts: Marketing ploy?

Can someone explain the difference between a “purge” and breakouts? From my current understanding, a purge occurs when you ALREADY have a breakout and it makes the breakouts come to a head quicker. A breakout is when you had a brand NEW bump or acne that can about that wasn’t there before. Thoughts?

Re: Purge vs Breakouts: Marketing ploy?

@Phippsy. I am going to add to this just from my personal experience. When I first started using my Clarisonic I also went through a purge. So if you are using a sonic cleansing device for the first time, you can expect this due to the toxins that are not removed by surface cleaning being pushed to the surface. It clears up in a few weeks, then your skin looks better than ever! At least that was my experience when I first started using Clarisonic and when i went back to using it after not using it for several years. 

Oh goodness yes-- my Clarisonic purge was way worse than any of my chemical exfoliation purges. 

How long does purging last?

@Phippsy usually purging is no longer than 3 weeks or so. If it is longer than that, then it’s a reaction. 

RE: Re: Purge vs Breakouts: Marketing ploy?

It depends on the product. If it is a prescription- strength retinoid, it can take awhile, maybe even up to a couple of months before you begin to see clear skin. I think it also varies from person to person.

@Phippsy Purging is when you start a new active (like something with an acid or retinoid in it), which causes some of those underlying pimples (which you might not have even noticed yet) to come to a head.

Its not really possible to get purging from a product without an acid or retinoid. Also, purging will eventually slow down and stop, while breakouts caused by some ingredient in a product will not.

Thanks for providing this added clarity! But in regards to the acid, can purging be caused by any type of acid? For example, Hyaluronic Acid, Lactid Acid, or Sorbic acid? 

It has to be an acid that would involve cellular turnover, so hyaluronic would not fall into that category because that's not what that particular type of acid does (it's for helping with moisture). Purging has more to do with exfoliating. 

RE: Re: Purge vs Breakouts: Marketing ploy?

Unfortunately, in regards to acids, you’ll find acids in all forms of skincare—cleansers, moisturizers and even toners and essences. So technically, every product you put on your skin is accelerating your skin cell turnover due to every brand incorporating some type of brightening effect and or use as a preservative. In that case, it can be said that all products will cause your face to purge, correct? Also, I’m confused as to why a person has to subject their face to creating even more hyperpigmentation/scarring when trying a new product just to wait and see if it’s purging or just breaking out. I’m interested in hearing everyone’s view point on this.

Re: RE: Re: Purge vs Breakouts: Marketing ploy?

To add to some of the other great points. If you have a regular skincare routine and you try a new product with a resurfacing acid, you won't necessarily purge if you skin is already in good condition with no underlying acne waiting to appear. On the other hand if you are starting a new acid/product that is very different from what you have used, you might notice some purging. Your skin shouldn't 'purge' for months, then its a reaction not a purge @Phippsy

No, not every product will cause a purge because we're talking about very specific ingredients that help with exfoliation. They do get included in lots of different products, you're right, but it is definitely possible to find items that don't contain those specific ingredients as well! There's a graphic I saw recently in another group that might help explain the purpose of some common acids- I'll post it below. Also, I don't think people are necessarily setting themselves up for additional scarring as with purging it's simply bringing to the surface areas that were already clogged. For some of us, blemishes are going to happen and we just have to deal with them once they do, unfortunately! The good thing about many acids, like salicylic acid, is that they actually help keep the skin clearer in the long run and can help to ward off future blemishes and associated scarring with use. 

Here's that handy graphic about the types of acids we're discussing: 

Your Complete Guide to Common Skin Care Acids

This image is great @quspork, thanks for sharing. I'm downloading it for personal reference in the future.

@Aaliaa @mermadelove Yes- it's a great little reference! I'm such a visual person - it really helps to see things "laid out." 

@quspork thanks for sharing this pic and your knowledge!! Very helpful!!!

Thanks soo much for showing me this grid! I've stumbled across this some time ago, but it's definitely helpful to see this once more in order to get further understanding.  Skincare gets pretty confusing after a while! But unfortunately, I have very sensitive skin and none of the acids listed state that they work for sensitive skin. 😞 Any Advice?

I do see what you mean about the mentions for sensitive skin, @Phippsy. I know some people have tried mixing acid serums with cream moisturizers, which can slightly lesson the efficacy of the acid but also buffers it's potency for people who have sensitive skin. There's an article at theklog dot co/best-exfoliators-for-sensitive-skin/ (just change dot to an actual .)  which names a few different chemical exfoliators that are supposed to work well with sensitive skin- including ones from Benton and CosRx which are two of my favorite brands. That might be something to look into? I hope that you can find something that works for you! 

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 53 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing