Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Please help me with sunscreen issue. My eyes burn and I cry.

Can somebody please recommend a good sunscreen (preferably affordable). I have wasted so much money on sunscreen that burns my eyes. I'm starting to get older and have noticed sun spots coming. I have oily skin most of the time. I have acne. I have very sensitive eyes(main concern). I may need to stick with physical because everything else burns my eyes. However, physical leaves a white cast. Please recommend 🙏 

Re: Please help me with sunscreen issue. My eyes burn and I cry.

Hi! The innisfree sunscreen is very lightweight, smells good and affordable.

I have oily skin too and get acne and marks very easily. Colorescience sunforgettable total protection face shield worked for me. It does leave a little bit of a white cast but I like it. 

@Ashdob  I literally feel your pain: many chemical and hybrid (chemical + mineral UV filters) sunscreens irritate my eyes, but many mineral (zinc oxide) sunscreens leave a white/grey cast on my "medium-deep to deep" skin tone. I have a couple workarounds: 

• Use a mineral/physical or hybrid sunscreen just around your eyes and a chemical sunscreen everywhere else. This works best if you plan to use concealer and/or eyeshadow around your eyes, which should mask any chemical sunscreen white cast. If zinc oxide typically doesn't irritate your eyes, then this method may become your go-to. Example: my fairly sensitive eyes have no problem with Native Face Unscented Sunscreen SPFF 30 (available at Target, if you're in the US), so I sometimes apply that sunscreen just on my lids and around my eyes and then apply an invisible chemical sunscreen everywhere else on my face. This sunscreen never pills on me, unlike some other brands' mineral sunscreen sticks. Native also sells a body version of that sunscreen that's a bit less expensive per ounce, so consider trying the body version around your eyes. And I've had success with the pricier Beauty of Joseon Relief Sun : Rice + Probiotics SPF50+ hybrid sunscreen around my eyes. Also consider CoTZ Face Prime & Protect SPF 40 Tinted Sunscreen (available at Ulta) as a double-duty mineral/physical sunscreen and eyeshadow/undereye concealer primer. 

• Try a thick textured chemical sunscreen around your eyes. The thicker the texture, the less likely the sunscreen will run into your eyes. Eucerin Age Defense Sunscreen SPF 50 and Trader Joe's Daily Facial Sunscreen SPF 40 immediately comes to mind, though Eucerin's sunscreen is the better option for this method. 

About physical sunscreen white cast: with some sunscreens, you can sometimes reduce the cast by applying in several thin layers. I do this with Native's sunscreen on my whole face. I still apply the generous amount needed for adequate protection, but I do so in several thin layers so I don't end up with a single thick layer of white/grey cast I can't blend out at all. 

Thank you so much for your advice and recommendations. I appreciate it. I will be looking into these options! I am the type who doesn't want to do too much lol. I doubt I will be applying two different kinds of sunscreen. I will stick with one. Thanks a lot. I'm hoping these turn out.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing