Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Oily Skin Care Recommendations please!

I'm am 21 and I've been using the same skin care products for years that were recommended by a family member. I didn't realize all the bad ingredients and I've been looking into cleaner products, but I'm feeling super overwhelmed and I'm not sure what to try! I have very oily and acne-prone skin, with large pores and some texture issues around my nose and chin. So far I was considering Tatcha The Deep Cleanse and Thayers Witch Hazel Toner? I'd really appreciate any recommendations for a cleanser, toner, moisturizer, etc. Thanks!!

Re: Oily Skin Care Recommendations please!

I have the same style of skin and have had very good luck with these:

Korres Greek yogurt foaming cleanser <- this is my go to- daily

Indie Lee CoQ10 Toner 

Olehendriksen Vitamin C Rush GEL cream <- the gel cream is much better for oily skin 

Youth To The People- Superfood cleanser- This one is very mild

Glow Recipe- Pineapple Vitamin C Serum 

Farmacy- Green Clean makeup removing balm 

REN- Ready steady glow toner (this is good for acne prone skin, but only use once per day at the most) 

These are all on the expensive side but I have found that they are worth the splurge. 

Cerave makes good facial washes and moisturizers. The daily SPF moisturizer is one that I use almost every day. 

Also, adding something with niacinamide (inkey list and ordinary have good ones) will help keep your oil production down throughout the day. 

@caitlinjb I'm oily and acne-prone as well. I got really serious about my skincare in June and my my face looks so much better. I would recommend a good cleanser and acid exfoliation plus a light moisturizer. I don't know what you know about exfoliants and don't want to tell you stuff you already know. I use both BHA and AHA (but you've got to wear sunscreen if you use AHA). Paula's Choice has a good acne line and it immediately made a difference. The combination of BHA and AHA really knocked out my acne.

Here's what I use, take what you want from it.

Paula's Choice CLEAR Pore Normalizing Cleanser

Paula's Choice CLEAR Regular Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution With 2% Salicylic Acid

Paula's Choice 8% AHA Gel

Farmacy Cherry Bright Vitamin C Serum

Ole Henriksen C Rush Moisturizer

The AHA has helped texture for me. Specifically the peel by The Ordinary. Can't get anything tagged, sorry.

RE: Re: Oily Skin Care Recommendations please!

thank you so much!! this was really helpful

Re: RE: Re: Oily Skin Care Recommendations please!

@caitlinjbYou're quite welcome. I basically sing the praises of Paula's Choice all the time. Her products have made such a difference for me.

@caitlinjb I rec starting with a gentle liquid cleanser, like First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL.  As for toner, look into Paula's Choice Pore-Reducing Toner.  For moisturizer, CeraVe PM is a really nice one for oily skin.  

I'd steer clear of witch hazel, and it is considered by many to be an irritant.

RE: Re: Oily Skin Care Recommendations please!

thank you so much!! i saw mixed things about witch hazel so that's why i wasn't sure, thanks for letting me know!

Re: RE: Re: Oily Skin Care Recommendations please!

To control oiliness try The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum  or The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL . For pores and blackheads try Paula's choice bha. For toners try First Aid Beauty Hydrating Toner with Squalane + Oats 6 oz/ 177 mL which is alcholol free and has colloidal oatmeal which reduced inflammation and redness. Also try a lightweight moisturizer like First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Coconut Water Cream or for extra hydration, Biossance Squalane + Probiotic Gel Moisturizer . Always use a sunscreen, I like First Aid Beauty Weightless Liquid Mineral SPF 30 . A good cleanser is The INKEY List Salicylic Acid Acne + Blackhead Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser and CeraVe sa cleanser. 

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing