Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Nighttime Skincare Routine Order

Hello! I've recently found all the products I love that I want to incorporate into my nighttime skincare routine. A lot of these products are powerful and concentrated so I want to be sure that I'm applying them in the correct order to get maximum benefits. Below I've posted the order that I typically apply them, but I'm a bit confused on whether I should apply night oil before or after moisturizer. Any tips or other suggestions would be great, thanks in advance!

1. CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm Makeup Remover 3.8 oz/ 125 mL

2. Origins Checks and Balances™ Frothy Face Wash 5 oz/ 150 mL
3. OLEHENRIKSEN Balancing Force™ Oil Control Toner 6.5 oz/ 193 mL

4. ORIGINS - Original Skin™ Essence Lotion with Dual Ferment Complex

5. KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate 12.5% Vitamin C

6. Kiehl's Since 1851 Midnight Recovery Eye 0.5 oz/ 15 ml

7. Kiehl's Since 1851 Midnight Recovery Concentrate Moisturizing Face Oil 1 oz/ 30 ml

8. Origins High-Potency Night-a-Mins™ Resurfacing Cream with Fruit-Derived AHAs 1.7 oz/ 50 mL

Re: Nighttime Skincare Routine Order

@mbhirmYour routine looks good.  I use oil before and after my moisturizer because I feel it makes my skin more hydrated.

@mbhirm

Conventional wisdom says to use moisturizer, then oil. The oil seals that moisture in and helps keep your skin hydrated longer, and since oil repels water, it's blocking, or at least slowing down, any layers you put on top. 

In practice, whichever works for you is fine though 😛 I mix my oil and moisturizer in my palm before applying just to save a step. And since the Origins Night A Mins has a good bit of oil in it already, I don't think it really matters which one you use first. 🙂

Thank you!

Your routine is great! That's the typical regular routine and is the way I do it.

Some oils, depending on the type, they say to do after moisturizer but there aren't that many. I think it's best just to use it like usual before and let the moisturizer help seal all the skincare in.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing