Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

New retinol recommendation

I've been using The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz / 30 ml which is a 1% retinol, for almost 2 years now. Should I move on to a higher percentage retinol? If yes, I'd love some recommendations if possible!

FYI I'm 29F and have dry skin. 

Tags:

Re: New retinol recommendation

@Kruttsy   The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz / 30 ml was reformulated in July or August. TIL replaced 1% RetiSTAR with 1% retinyl acetate, an ester of retinol. I don't know the "pure" retinol strength equivalent for that, but I assume it's below 1%. Granactive retinoid (hydroxypinacolone retinoate, aka HPR) is still in this product at 0.5%. I do know the actual strength of that one: 0.5% HPR contains 0.05% retinoic acid ester in a solvent. 

However, higher strength isn't necessarily better, depending on why you use vitamin A in the first place. If you're trying to reduce existing hyperpigmentation, control acne, decrease the appearance of existing fine lines or wrinkles, improve skin firmness, etc.—in other words, trying to improve a current skin issue—and The Inkey List's retinol serum's not cutting it for you, then higher strength might be good for you. TIL recently released a second retinol serum, The INKEY List SuperSolutions 1% Retinol Serum 1 oz / 30 mL , that actually contains 1% retinol. Also consider Paula's Choice CLINICAL 1% Retinol Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL . (PC has a few other retinol products available at their site that Sephora doesn't carry.) If you find 1% retinol too irritating, you could try retinaldehyde (aka retinal) which works faster than retinol with less irritation. There are a few good retinal products on the market; I like Avene's, but Maelove has one that costs quite a bit less (contains some essential oils, so beware if your skin's sensitive to those), and Youth To The People released one this year. 

If instead you're using retinol to maintain your current skin condition, then you might not need a higher percentage product. 🙂 

I would recommend checking out Skinceuticals retinol! They have varying levels of potency - I started the 0.3 a few months ago and really like it.

Just FYI , The Inkey List retinol serum does not contain 1% of retinol, it contains 1% of RetiStar Stabilised Retinol which is a stable form of retinol in a dispersion containing tocopherol, sodium ascorbate and PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil in caprylic/capric triglycerides .The percentage of pure retinol in it is low , just 0.05 %.

@jus888 that's right!  I forgot about that.  I wish they'd titled it differently.   Tagging @Kruttsy for this.

@Kruttsy I personally think 1% is pretty high,  but Retinol concentrations have seemed to be getting higher.  I can't think of a good one over 1%, tho.  Have you considered an Rx retinoid?

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing