Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Need help with skin care regime

So I just turned 34 and I want to start really taking care of my skin (I know I'm super late in the game, but better late than never) I don't really have anything in place right now other than washing my face with Garncier Micellar face wash and moisturizing with Nutrogena Hydro Boost. I have combination skin, acne, dark spots, huge pores and dullness so any recommendations are greatly appreciated.  

Re: Need help with skin care regime

Hi @breeziie,

It's never too late to start improving your skincare routine! For dark spots and dullness, I recommend using a Vitamin C serum like the Sunday Riley C.E.O. 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL.

Since you're in your 30s, I also recommend a good anti aging product like a moisturizer or sunscreen. I really like the SULWHASOO - Essential Firming Cream.

I also second @l8totheparty's recommendation. The The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL is great for pores, texture and uneven skin tone. 

I would definitely start with a broad spectrum sunscreen (or SPF50 PA++++ at least) because I believe sunscreens prevent A LOT of our skin problems that we try to fix down the road (aging, hyperpigmentation, etc). If you are on the sensitive side, try to look for a mineral sunscreen with no fragrance or essential oils (as they can sensitize our skin with prolonged use). I think EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 is a pretty good sunscreen. I will also start with a GENTLE chemical exfoliator like The Ordinary Azelaic Acid to help you get rid of dead skincell buildup (that often leads to clogged pores). Remember to start slowly, patch test, and introduce products one by one so your skin has time to adjust. Best of luck with your skincare journey!

I'd start with getting a gentle cream cleanser and a good sunscreen, @breeziie. Micellar water is really more of a first cleanse to remove makeup and sunscreen, so a good cleanser will help to really get your skin clear of dirt and impurities. PHILOSOPHY - Purity Made Simple Cleanser or First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL would both be good options to check out. Coola has some great options for sunscreens. Are you happy with the hydro boost moisturizer? If you are, there's no reason to change. Once you have those items in place, you can look at exfoliators and serums to help with the other issues.

You could add it THE ORDINARY - and The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

I use one in the morning and 1 in the evening.  That's how I got into it! 

You could add a gentle exfoliator in every couple of days such as FIRST AID BEAUTY - Facial Radiance Pads or the sephora face glow pads. You will notice the dullness will improve almost instantly if you have never used an exfoliator. 

As long as you have a cleanser, a moisturizer, and an SPF that you like, you have the basics. 

@breeziie 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing