Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Mousturizers for Combo Skin

So I’ve been using CeraVe night time moisturizer religiously for as long as I can remember and have always loved the texture of it and how gentle it is on my face. I’ve recently been trying to up my skin care game after my breakouts began to get more frequent over the past year (thanks to quitting bc). I have combo skin and an oily T zone and always get blackheads on my nose/cheeks/between my eyebrows. I got a facial and the lady said that my nose and T zone area isn’t being moisturized enough and that more moisture in those areas would reduce the number of breakouts I'm seeing. However I use my cerave morning and night. So, now I’m looking for recommendations for any products that are super moisturizing since I think I need to switch to something a little more powerful! Thanks

Re: Mousturizers for Combo Skin

I m sorry to hear about Your imbalanced skin! Maybe I can help!
cleanser

I don’t think you mentioned a cleanser. It is critical to use a gentle cleanser. I love Dr Sam’s Flawless Cleanser. I think Paula’s Choice makes excellent cleansers — in particular the PC Resist Perfectly Balanced Cleanser (for oily/combo) or PC Resist Optimal Results Cleanser (for dry/normal). Krave Beauty’s cleanser is also delightful.

Paula's Choice RESIST Perfectly Balanced Foaming Cleanser 6.4 oz/ 190 mL 

hydration!

What you describe is a hydration problem and a compromised skin barrier. To hydrate the skin and help fortify the skin barrier, you should use a toner or essence that does these things. 
I think PC Skin Balancing Pore Reducing toner would be great (tons of hydrating ingredients plus ceramides and niacinamide for barrier repair.
the PC Resist Advanced Repleneshing Toner is also a good choice, though it leans more heavily on emollients and hydrators. It’s also quite viscous and if you have oily skin, you might not like it. FAB Uktra Repair Hydrating Oat Toner is like a hug for your skin. 

First Aid Beauty Hydrating Toner with Squalane + Oats 6 oz/ 177 mL 
Moisturizers
IMHO, the main job of a moisturizer is to lock in the hydration from previous steps. Moisturizers often don’t penetrate that deeply. They sit on your skin and have emollients to smooth out skin, but they also should have occlusive ingredients  that seal everything in and stop trans epidermal water loss.

I might recommend 2 moisturizers: one that is thicker for outside the T-zone and a thinner, but still hydrating one, for the T-zone. 
Personally, I love Drunk Elephant’s Protini moisturizer. It offers hydration, emollients, and occlusives plus it has terrific ingredients as well (peptides, antioxidants). I tend to think it’s better for normal/oily skin but it works on my combo skin. 
Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL 
bonus: you might consider buying a “sleeping mask” t boost moisture in your drier areas. Only use once or so per week — but listen to your skin! Farmacy’s 10% Niacinamide Night. Ask might do the trick!

good luck!!!

Farmacy 10% Niacinamide Night Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

Re: Mousturizers for Combo Skin

@ABee853 Do you use an essence or hyaluronic acid in your routine or even a beauty oil?

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing