Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Masks for dry skin?

What masks would you recommend to hydrate extremely dry skin? Moisturizers don’t cut it for me anymore in this cold, drying winter weather 🥶

Re: Masks for dry skin?

@amursa  Couple suggestions for extremely dry skin: 

1. Make sure your skin is damp (but not soaking wet) when you apply moisturizer. This gives the moisturizer some hydration to seal in, and ensures your skin hasn't lost hydration before you apply the moisturizer. 

2. Consider using a petrolatum-based ointment or healing balm as a moisturizer, or as an extra protective layer over your current moisturizer. When necessary, I use either Aquaphor Ointment or CeraVe Healing Ointment. If you're skin's sensitive to lanolin, avoid Aquaphor and use the CeraVe product instead. Aveeno also makes a balm that feels slightly less greasy (if that texture bothers you): it's in their Eczema Therapy line. They also make one for babies that contains pretty much the same ingredients as the adult version, just shuffled around a bit. I especially like Aquaphor on subzero Chicago winter days to protect my skin from windburn and keep it hydrated. The CeraVe ointment should perform similarly. 

You can apply sunscreen over an ointment/balm. I've done it several times on my own face, usually with a physical/mineral sunscreen. 

Laneige water overnight mask! Just make sure you rinse it off in the morning and not leave it throughout the next day like I’ve done ;). @amursa 

@SportyGirly125 
Hey thanks so much for the recommendations, I’ll definitely check some of these out ☺️ Have a wonderful day/night 💕

I'd recommend using a sleeping mask. I like to use mine layered on top of a serum or moisturizer at night. Also have you tried using a face oil on top of moisturizer? These are all products I've used and like. 

LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask SEPHORA COLLECTION Gel Mask Hydrating & Quenching 2 oz/ 60mL  Josie Maran Holiday Argan Oil tarte Maracuja Oil 1.7 oz/ 50 mL The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane 1 oz/ 30 mL 

@KitKaty 
Hey thanks for the recommendations! I’ll definitely check some things out. I never really layered products before other than moisturizer and sunscreen on top. But I do have some oils, I feel like they would move/remove the moisturizer underneath though, being that it’s much more “wet” than the rather thick moisturizer I use. Should I switch to a more watery moisturizer or am I worried for no reason? 🤔 Thanks for the help and sorry for the questions, complete skincare beginner here 😙

I've never had any problems with oil taking off moisturizer. Just pat a few drops on top. When layering moisturizing products you basically want to go lightest to heaviest. So light/liquid based serums first. Then moisturizer/cream. Then oil. Even though oil is more liquid, creams wouldn't be able to get to your skin through it very easily. The oil on top will help lock in the moisturize. As far as sunscreen goes, as I understand it, it's always best to put it on as the last layer. Since it's main purpose is sun protection, not skin care, it's ok if it doesn't get through the other products as much. 

I also recommend trying, if you haven't already, a moisturizer that's made specifically to protect the moisture barrier. Like Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin cream. I've found products that are meant to lock in moisture work best if you start applying them before your skin has completely dried out. A good beginning layer is hyaluronic acid. Which will pull moisture into your skin. I hope at least some of that is helpful! 🤗 

The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 1 oz/ 30 mL Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin™ Cream 1.69 oz/ 50 mL 

Hi @amursa ! I love Kiehl's Since 1851 Calendula & Aloe Soothing Hydration Mask . I would also recommend Summer Fridays R + R Mask Saturday Skin Intense Hydration Mask 5 masks . Anything with Hyaluronic Acid is really amazing for soothing hydration. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions, have a wonderful day 💕

@LilaMJ 

Thank you so much! I will definitely try those, now that you mention it I heard a lot of good things about Kiehl’s as a brand. I guess now’s my chance to try it! Thanks again 💕

@amursa My pleasure! I use some other products from Kiehl’s, and they are great! Amazing brand. Have an amazing day ❤️

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing