Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

I need help with everything. Skincare and makeup advice. Please ๐Ÿ™

Hi everyone.  โฃ๏ธ my 1st time asking for help here.

So I'm over 40 years old and I'm seeing some wrinkles on my face and some dark spots .  I don't know what serums to use or skin care treatments? 

I do have a T zone oily face and I can't seem to find anything good. Also I'm lost in what order to apply serums before the moisturizer.  

And before makeup . 

I haven't found a good foundation that won't look so cakey on my face. I want something that will last all day. Should I look into waterproof foundation? 

Right now I use drugstore foundations and it's not staying on. I hate it. ๐Ÿ˜’  please help ๐Ÿ™ 

Thank you . 

Re: I need help with everything. Skincare and makeup advice. Please ๐Ÿ™

Hey, you should definitely consider starting the use of retinol. Once you have some experience you should upgrade to retinaldehyde, which is basically a more potent form of retinol (the ordinary just released a version of this). 

If retinol alone doesn't help with dark spots then you should look into mandelic acid, tranexamic acid or succinic acid. All of these acids help to target dark spots and hyperpigmentation. 

Alot of skincare is just a matter of preference. Some say it's better to apply creamy serums before more oily serums, followed by moisturizer.

Personally I don't use foundation, but if you have texture on your skin (like dryness) then using an exfoliant or a moisturizer better suited for your skin type, could help with this issue. You should make sure that you are using the right foundation for your skin type as well. Like if you have dry skin then an oil-based foundation may be better for your skin type. Another alternative may be investing in a good makeup setting spray! 

@Vanne246 I am with @faeriegirl in that exfoliants and retinols/retinoids have really helped my aging skin and dark spots. I also like Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Betaยฎ Universal Daily Peel Pads but these are really too pricy for me. I also like Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboosโ„ข Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum. And another favorite of mine is Sunday Riley Luna Retinol Sleeping Night Oil 

I only use either exfoliant or the Luna oil - not both at the same time. 

Before purchasing any products, you should think about what your top skin concerns are. From there,  research skincare ingredients. If you understand what the specific ingredients do, you'll be armed to make informed purchases. The beauty industry isn't super regulated so companies can make all sorts of claims about what their products can do.

I started following Angie from Hot and Flashy (https://youtube.com/@AngieHotandFlashy?si=ye4b95rcQUhTVOqh). She's done a lot of the research leg work and has some great information. There's a series of 6 or so videos that break down things like antioxidants, ceramides, peptides, retinoids, and all that fun stuff.

Now that I understand what to look for, I've been able to put together my own routine that works for my specific skincare needs... and bonus, it didn't break the bank to do so!

Hello friend - this was exactly my concern about a year ago. I booked a consult/learning session with a makeup artist and it was a great investment!! Very generally, you need cream/liquid products more than powders, and definitely need to revitalize your skincare routine. There are a huge number of instagram beauty influencers who focus on 40+ and Iโ€™ve learned a lot from them as well. The absolute best neck/decolletage cream is the stupid expensive Dr. Perricone Cold Plasma - but I consider it an alternative to a back lift and buy it. You DO NOT need medical-grade, Uber expensive products and the other people who responded gave you good brands. Iโ€™m also going to add to that list Wishful Beauty Yo Glow exfoliant. Amazing. And finally, the thing that truly changed my skin was double cleansing. First an oil-based cleanser or balm; then a water-based cleanser. I adore Farmacy Clean Green and Tula Cult Classic for this. Good luck!

@Vanne246  The serums or treatments that have made a difference for me are AHAs, Retinol, and Vitamin C. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Betaยฎ Universal Daily Peel Pads  are the best AHA treatment I have found. I use prescription tretinoin and I highly recommend it if you can get it. If not Youth To The People Retinal + Niacinamide Youth Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL or Drunk Elephant A-Passioniโ„ข Retinol Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL are some good otc ones. I have had the hardest time finding a vitamin c serum that works and doesnโ€™t oxidize too fast. Naturium has a really good one that isnโ€™t too expensive. Just make sure if you add in any of these actives to start out slow and only introduce one at a time until your skin gets used to them and always use SPF.  In the morning I cleanse my face, use vitamin c, then moisturizer, then SPF. In my evening routine I alternate between retinol and the peel pads. So I cleanse, use either the peel pad or retinol, then moisturizer. 

Iโ€™ve always been told to layer your products and serums going from the thinnest consistency first to the thickest last.

For foundation I have been really impressed with Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation . It has really good coverage and it lasts really well for me.

@Vanne246 foundation recommendation HAUS LABS BY LADY GAGA Triclone Skin Tech Medium Coverage Foundation with Fermented Arnica 040 Fair ... .  Get a color match to see what shade you need.  I recently discovered this foundation and it is a game changer for  me.

A skincare product to try is The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Hydrating Face Serum .

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing