Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Re: Hyper pigmentation

@fa1th1 I would suggest an ascorbic acid serum in the morning, depending on what the rest of your routine is.

Re: Hyper pigmentation

Hi @fa1th1 ! Do you mean acne scars? If yes, what type of acne scars do you have? 

If they’re post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH, such as flat dark marks left by acne), azelaic acid might work well for you. It fights acne and PIH, and can be used with vitamin A (retinoic acid/tretinoin) and its derivatives (retinol, retinaldehyde, etc.). I use retinaldehyde each night and layer it over Paula's Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster 1 oz/ 30 mL . I’ve also used The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream and FaceTheory Lumizela A10 Serum with good results. 

Alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) can also help by exfoliating dead skin cells from the surface of your face to reveal newer skin. You can use it alongside vitamin A if your skin tolerates that combo; some folks can, others can’t. (I’m in the former group.) Just don’t overuse any AHA exfoliant: you don’t want to over-exfoliate and break your skin barrier. Keep AHA use to just 1-3 times a week at most. The safest way to use AHA with vitamin A is to alternate times of day, such as retinol at night and AHA at morning. 

Consider Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant 3.3 oz/ 100 mL (I use PC’s 10% AHA which Sephora doesn’t carry) or The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL for 1-3x/week use. Once or twice a month, you could try a stronger AHA exfoliant like Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 25% AHA + 2% BHA Exfoliant Peel 1 oz/ 30 mL or The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL ; the week you use one of those, don’t use any other AHA exfoliant that week. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention sunscreen! Do you already use a broad spectrum sunscreen that’s at least SPF 30? There’s no point using anything to fade hyperpigmentation if you don’t also stop the sun from doing more damage. Apply generously to ALL skin exposed to sunlight (eyelids, ears, behind ears, hairline, nape of neck if exposed, etc.) and reapply every couple hours, all year long, regardless of weather or season. 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing