Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

How important is using toner?

I normally skip toner but lately I've been told to use it. what does it exactly do for our skin? are the Mario basescu sprays considered toners? I noticed my skin seemed congested. would toner help?

Toner is definitely as Yes..it has helped close my pores and using cleanser and even our skin. I typically use Rose water toners and they work great on my combination skin.

Re: How important is using toner?

@faizalicious Hello! For me Toner was the biggest game changer in my skin care routine. It made the biggest difference to my skin. 

Most skincare "guides" that I have seen from dermatologists and reputable sources list toners as a key step, but as long as your skin is nice and clean, I guess you don't really "need" one, per se. However, I like to think about it toners in the same way I think about my curly hair prodcuts. Even though I don't "need" to tame my curls with creams, gels and moisturizers, my hair is a heck of a lot happier when I do! Same thing with my skin - I can use a toner to calm redness, help me deal with congestion or any number of things! I feel like I am still disovering new types of toners all the time. Definitely a step worth checking out, but don't feel overwhelmed! If you are feeling congested, maybe you would benefit from an exfoliating toner? I like the Glycolic Acid toner from The Ordinary, but it's too strong for me to use everyday. Sunday Riley has a cool gel-to-water based toner for skin congestion, but it kind of has a strong "herbal" smell to it. I definitely reccomend exploring toners, though, they are awesome! 

@faizalicious I don't think it's necessary but I really enjoy them. I like taking hot showers and enjoy using toners to provide some instant moisture right out of the shower. I use hydrating toners most days, with an occasional exfoliating one if my skin is looking congested. I alternate through a variety of hydrating toners (mostly Korean brands) and use tarte Knockout Tingle Treatment Toner 5 oz/ 150 mL for exfoliating. That one can be pretty intense so the The INKEY List Polyhydroxy Acid (PHA) Gentle Exfoliating Toner 3.4 oz/ 100 mLmight be a good alternative if you're not used to AHAs. Plus, it's really affordable!

thank you. I think I might try ur method

thank you. I think I might try ur method

@faizalicious I use tarte knockout to balance my skin

@faizalicious  What can really help congested skin is a chemical exfoliant, particularly one that contains glycolic acid and/or salicylic acid. There are some AHA/BHA toners out there, but you can also use pretty much any chemical exfoliant as your toner step. 

Generally, toners are supposed to do one or more of these things:

1..Rebalance skin pH. Some docs say this is unnecessary because skin can rebalance itself after a wash. Whether or not you use a toner for this is up to you. 

2. Remove any last traces of makeup. If you double cleanse, you probably don’t need to worry about using toner to remove leftover makeup. 

3. Deliver various beneficial ingredients to your skin, often based on a skin issue/goal like hydrating dry skin, making dull skin more radiant, etc. You can look at the ingredients in a toner to decide if your skin needs it. I use e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence (it’s really a toner/essence hybrid) because it contains niacinamide and a ton of hydrating & moisturizing ingredients—but I don’t use it on the mornings/nights I use a leave-on AHA or BHA exfoliant. 

thank you for your input

thank you for your input

@faizalicious There are a variety of different types of toners that do different things for your skin. Whether or not one would be beneficial to you depends on your own skin's needs. Personally, I enjoy using a hydrating toner and occasionally an exfoliating toner. It's not a necessary step for everyone, but can be a worthwhile step for many. 

I'm not sure, other than being another way to add active ingredients to your skin - and as the first skincare step before adding other products, I think they can help.  Of course it depends on your needs and if you have the right one for your skin.  Some are geared toward reducing pores, which I think can help.  My favorite is dermae's radiance toner, which has glycolic and hyaluronic acid, so it exfoliates and hydrates, and I do notice my skin looks more glowy and stays that way longer after using, bc of the actives that are renewing.

RE: Re: How important is using toner?

I never use a toner either. For the past year though, have been using an essence after my cleanser and before my serum and I love it.

@faizalicious  I never use a toner and my skin is perfectly fine. It’s not a necessity. 

@faizalicious  Facial toner is basically the in-between skincare step. It's meant to be used after washing your face but before using your serum or moisturizer.

Face toners prep the skin for moisturizers and serum while getting rid of excess excess oil and stubborn dirt or makeup leftover on your face after you wash it.

Mario Badescu sprays are not toners they are hydrating sprays.

You don’t really need to incorporate a toner in your skincare routine.

Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 37 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
testing