Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Help with a new skincare regimen for combination skin? :) Anyone try these products?

Hi, there! I'm looking for advice on a new skincare regimen for acne-prone combination skin. I have some texture on my chin and many light (red) acne-scars on my cheeks. Here are a few products that I am interested in.

If anyone has experience with any of these (and can recommend or would not recommend), please comment! The bold ones are products I currently own, underlined are ones I want to implement, and the rest are products I want to try.

I'm looking for a skincare regimen that uses a combination of some these products. 

• Fresh Soy Cleanser
  • Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser
  • Clarins – Toning Lotion with Iris
  • Pixi Glow Tonic 5% Glycolic Acid
  • Sunday Riley Good Genes
  • Caudalie – Premier Cru the Elixir
  • Caudalie – Divine Oil
  • Boscia – Clear Complexion Treatment
  • Caudalie – Vinoperfect Overnight Renewal Cream
  • Herbivore Phoenix Cell Regenerating Facial Oil
  • Herbivore Blue Tansy AHA + BHA Resurfacing Clarity Mask
  • Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Spray
  • Giorgio Armani Prima Glow on Balm
  • Armani Prima Soft Peeling Lotion
  • Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Peel Extra Strength OR Universal daily peel
  • Perricone Skin Perfecting Serum
  • Olehenriksen Pore Balance Facial Sauna Scrub
  • Counter Balance Oil Control Hydrator
  • Counter Balance Mattifying Moisture Crème
  • Boscia Tsubaki Beauty Oil
  • Consonant DHE Mask
  • Caudalie Instant Detox Max
  • Cauadlie Glycolic Peel
  • Biossance 100% Squalene Oil
  • Caudalie VinoPerfect Radiance Serum
  • The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil
  • Algenist GENIUS Ultimate Anti-Aging Bi-Phase Peel
  • Peter Thomas Roth AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel
  • AmorePacific Treatment Toner
  • AmorePacific Treatment Enzyme Peel
  • Clarins One Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser with Orange Extract
  • The Body Shop Seaweed Pore-Cleansing Exfoliator
  • Tarte Tight and Bright Multi Mask

RE: Help with a new skincare regimen for combination skin? :) Anyone try these products?

It really depends on the 'level' of combo skin you have. As in If you're more oily or dry. Also the time of year. Because it's summer you can get away with more oily skincare products. I recommend Sunday Riley Martian Toner & Belif aqua bomb. A little goes a long way with both.

Re: RE: Help with a new skincare regimen for combination skin? :) Anyone try these products?

thank you! i've heard a lot of good things about belif aqua bomb! im so picky about moisturizers but i should probably pick up a sample of this one

Re: Help with a new skincare regimen for combination skin? :) Anyone try these products?

@kristenk15 I know how overwhelming it can be to search for the right few products for you.  I recommend searching beautypedia.com and looking up these products; they will likely have reviews on a lot of them.  That site consults with cosmetics chemists and dermatologists.  Also, you may wan to read Paula Begoun's book "Beauty Bible."  It's been a few years since the last edition was printed, but the overall advice is sound.  Good luck!

Re: Help with a new skincare regimen for combination skin? :) Anyone try these products?

that's awesome! thank you! one thing I'd really be interested in is if someone/or some website could tell me if a certain combination of products/ingredients would work well together? because i might like several products but i don't want to repeat ingredients or use products that are good alone that might be too harsh together. know of any resource like that?

@kristenk15

Whew! That's a long list of products! Hopefully you won't have to go through all of it until you find a routine that works for you!

Here are the things I've tried (some, I love) from your list:

Fresh Soy Cleanser - I used a deluxe sample tube of it (it was quite large) and was nothing to write home about. Not particularly nourishing for my skin, and I'm leery of soy due to what it can do to hormones when ingested...not sure if using on skin has similar effect (I doubt it, but worth noting as too much soy tends to break me out). I still have a tube of this, thinking of using this to clean brushes (my plan for any cleansers I don't plan on using on my skin ever again)

Pixi Glow Tonic - I thought this product was OK, I can't say it did much for my skin since I used up the smaller size of it and have since switched back to my MISSHA essence and I'm not seeing any difference. I had high hopes for it though, as it is has a cult following it seems, sadly it just didn't do anything for me.

Sunday Riley Good Genes - I have used this and other AHA products and can't say it does any better than a less expensive option. I currently use Pixi Glow Serum (10% glycolic) and get similar results. It's about 30% of the price of a bottle of Good Genes, though!

Herbivore Phoenix Cell Regenerating Facial Oil - I have a rollerball of this and really like this oil. I like to use this on days I don't use retinol due to another acid being in my routine as it's so nourishing. If you have acne-prone combo skin, may I suggest you try Herbivore Lapis oil instead? It's meant to balance oil production. I have used up almost an entire bottle of it (it's my primary AM oil) and am seriously considering repurchasing. A bottle has lasted me over 2 years now, crazy! I even have a rollerball of it for traveling.

Herbivore Blue Tansy mask - I LOVE THIS STUFF. Finished an entire jar and about to open a new one. I have never had an adverse reaction to this mask and my skin always glows after. Helped shrink cysts on my face, although did not make them go away completely (before this though, nothing worked to make a difference). I follow the use 4 days in a row then cut back to once every 2-3 days and it helped improve my skin. I now use this mask approx. 1x/week for maintenance. Some people can't stand the smell but I don't find it offensive at all.

DDG Alpha Beta Peel Extra Strength - tried these, would not repurchase. I think they were too much for my skin. Some parts of my skin started to feel tight and flaky, especially the areas of my face that is normal. Warning- alcohol is listed as one of the top ingredients. I would recommend avoiding alcohol on breakout-prone skin as this could further irritate your skin. I do use the DDG Glow pads which has NO alcohol and has self tanner in addition to AHA and BHA, and I'm loving these.... would consider keeping as a permanent item in my routine even when summer is over, even if I don't need the self-tanner.

Biossance 100% Squalane Oil - I use the version with Vitamin C and rose. I LOVE it. I use it at night and mix one drop with my AM face oil...it absorbs so quickly and not greasy. My skin looks great using this product. I'd imagine the plain 100% squalane would be about the same, but I think you can get a cheaper version at Deciem especially if you just want 100% squalane.

Thanks so much for the detailed answer! Looking forward to trying out Herbivore products now. I tried one sample of the Alpha Beta Peel and my skin looked great in the morning, but as an everyday peel it might be too much, and I do want to avoid products with alcohol.

I have combo and acne-prone skin. I used the Boscia Clear Complexion Treatment. I used to have these tiny bumps all over my forehead and I started to see acne on my cheeks as well. So, I decided that I needed to do something with this. I tried the product around March and it works! I finished my first bottle and the tiny bumps had been reduced. I bought my second bottle and the tiny bumps weren't as visible as they were. At that time, my skin had never been that nice since I hit puberty. However, after I finished my 2nd bottle, my 3rd bottle didn't really do anything to me anymore. I guess my skin had gotten used to it. Now I have a different skin care. Anyway! the first 2 bottles really changed and improved my skin. I would definitely recommend you this. PS: a whole bottle lasts up to a month and the texture is very nice too; lightweight, fast-absorbing, and a bit cooling. I hope this helps! 🙂

That's awesome, thank you! I really wanted to try it, maybe I'd use it 2 weeks out of the month so my skin doesn't get used to it..Haha. Is it sticky at all, or does your skin absorb it? Also, What are you using now for acne prevention/treatment?

I'll put my experiences with products below - feel free to ask more questions though since my answers are brief!!

• Fresh Soy Cleanser - made my skin have little whiteheads
  • Pixi Glow Tonic 5% Glycolic Acid - LOVE!
  • Sunday Riley Good Genes - Again didn't;t work with my skin, and I hated the smell, but other people love it
  • Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Spray - the only sincere brand my skin gets along with. 
  • Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Peel Extra Strength OR Universal daily peel: If used to frequently I would get little whiteheads, a little more harsh than the Pixi. My advice would be to start with Pixi and maybe work up to these if you need them in your life!
  • The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil - haven't used yet, but its in my too try stash!

@Zpsid91 I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like the Pixi Glow. I used it twice and both times I broke out like crazy. My skin isn't even all that sensitive. 😞

@jozkid - oh no!! I stopped using it because I started using a few different acids that were a titch stronger, but for once it didn't break me out!! (Unlike a loooot of other products)

Thanks for your input! What kind of skin type are you if you don't mind me asking? Are your breakouts frequent or usually only hormonal? and If you had to recommend any 1-2 products for acne scarring what would they be?

@kristenk15 - I am combo oily skin with mostly hormonal breakouts now, or if I wear my hair down a lot. I did have pretty frequent - nearly continuous breakouts so I've come a long way. For scarring I like to use acids and vitamin c products (not at the same time) - it helps with cell turnover and lightening, but I don't have the worst acne scarring. Although I know there are some other skincare gurus out there who have better and different recommendations!

13 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing