Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Help recovering from an adverse reaction to a product

Recently tried to use Clinique’s Take The Day Off liquid for Eyes and Lips cause I needed to remove an at home Halloween look and have spent the past few days suffering a rash of little red raised bumps.  And because it was a trial size I’m struggling to find the ingredients list to see what set my skin off.  Anyone have any suggestions for soothing skin products so I can go back to a rashless face?  Help figuring out which ingredient set off my skin would be appreciated too.

Re: Help recovering from an adverse reaction to a product

I had a reaction to philosophy brightening pads that was pretty intense I just cleansed with cleansing balm and used biossance cream and oil a few days to heal it. 

Biossance Squalane + Omega Repair Deep Hydration Moisturizer 1.69 oz / 50 mL 

Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Firming Oil 1.01 oz / 30 mL 

#Drunk Elephant Nice to Meet You™ Cleansing Balm +

Hi @AnnaRose9 ! If you mean CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Makeup Remover For Lids, Lashes & Lips 6.7 oz , here are the ingredients direct from Clinique’s own site: 

Spoiler
Ingredients: Water\Aqua\Eau, Isododecane, Isohexadecane, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Peg-4 Dilaurate, Lauryl Methyl Gluceth-10 Hydroxypropyldimonium Chloride, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Edta, Phenoxyethanol 

For your bad reaction: when my skin flips out like that, I take an antihistamine pill and use a cold compress on my skin. Then I strip my skincare routine way back to a gentle cleanser, perhaps a soothing serum or oil, and a soothing moisturizer. (Plus sunscreen during the day.) I temporarily stop all exfoliants (acid, enzyme, or physical/scrub), vitamin c serum, and anything I know will cause even the slightest inflammation. 

Soothing anti-inflammatory ingredients that work well for me are licorice root, CBD oil, oats, centella asiatica (cica), and green tea. I’ve been recovering from a very bad reaction for a month; these products have helped a lot: 

Spoiler
The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL - I gently massage it on my damp face and sometimes let is sit 5-10 minutes as a soothing mask. Then I add water to emulsify it, and very gently rub my usual PM gel cleanser over it. Then I rinse everything off. In the morning, I’ve often used this oat balm as a solo cleanser. 

It’s Skin Power 10 Formula Li Effector - a licorice root serum that also contains polyglutamic acid (a very hydrating humectant). I apply this after cleansing while my skin is still damp. On some mornings, I apply the next serum instead of this one. 

COSRX Pure Fit Cica Serum - loaded with cica components. Centella asiatica is a good anti-inflammatory ingredient. This serum usually calms down my redness. 

Aveeno body lotion - I normally use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion on my body, but I also use it on my face during bad reactions to help soothe that skin. Lately I’ve been using Aveeno Eczema Therapy Daily Moisturizing Cream as my facial moisturizer. My skin likes it so much, I might make it my new daily moisturizer even after my skin’s fully healed. 

If your bad reaction includes lots of flaky dry skin, you’ll want to use a healing ointment/balm on it to protect your skin while it’s moisture barrier heals. My favorites for that are Aquaphor Ointment and CeraVe Healing Ointment. Aveeno also makes a nice balm in their eczema line, plus a version for babies that’s similar with the ingredients shuffled a bit. 

I hope your skin recovers soon! I know firsthand how aggravating bad reactions are. 

yes to all of the above! I had a skin issue like yours recently and the dermatologist gave me cortisone cream to calm it down. I got a prescription one but i'm sure you can find over the counter ones at a drugstore. 

Thank you so much!  I never would have thought to take an antihistamine to help with a topical allergic reaction!  I’ll have to pick up some of the things you mentioned next time I run errands.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing