cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Favorite Face Exfoliants

Hey everyone! 

I want to know what is your favorite face exfoliant I am looking to invest in a new one I have used the Paulas Choice & ZO Skin Health Exfoliating Polish! 

Please recommend some others you all like or use. 

Thanks 😘 

Re: Favorite Face Exfoliants

For my skin, I prefer chemical exfoliants to physical ones. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel  have been my go-to. Occasionally, I do like the feel of physical exfoliants like of AMOREPACIFIC Treatment Enzyme Peel Cleansing Powder or Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant Exfoliator.

Hi! @AlexisChey I was recently on the lookout for a good exfoliator and I really enjoyed the SEPHORA COLLECTION Resurfacing Peel Mask it makes me feel like I had a mini facial whenever I use it. I feel like I've gotten really good results in my own routine from alternating between chemical and physical exfoliants.

Here are some other products that I've found over the years that I really love as well:

AMOREPACIFIC Treatment Enzyme Cleansing Foam 4 oz/ 120 mL 

OLEHENRIKSEN Pore-Balance™ Facial Sauna Scrub 3 oz/ 85 g 

Tatcha The Deep Cleanse Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser 

Fun fact about the OLEHENRIKSEN Pore-Balance™ Facial Sauna Scrub 3 oz/ 85 g it really does give a spa vibe. I like to use it in the shower and the cooling effect it gives and along with the scent make me feel like I'm at the spa 💆

Enjoy! 

Yes, same! I love this product!! 

This is the only exfoliant I use and it just works with my skin Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant 4 oz/ 118 mL 

I love YTTP I am going to have to look into these products as well! Thank you for the recommendations! 

Thank you I'll have to check these out!! 

@AlexisChey  These are all great suggestions!  The only physical exfoliant I use is also an enzymatic exfoliant.  It's very gentle, which is why I use it (I can't tolerate most physical exfoliants.)  Tatcha The Rice Polish Foaming Enzyme Powder .

Hi @AlexisChey ! A few questions for you: 

1. Which Paula's Choice exfoliant have you used? They make several different ones. 
  2. Do you want a physical/manual exfoliant (such as a scrub) or a chemical exfoliant (AHA, BHA, PHA)? 
  3. Is your skin sensitive at all? 

Asking those questions because my favorite exfoliants might not fit your particular skin type/behavior and preferences. For reference, I have mostly-dry combo skin that's quite reactive/inflammation-prone and hates various ingredients, especially essential oils. I alternate the following products. 

1-3 times a week: 

Once every 2-4 weeks: 

Edit - when traveling, I pack an Exuviance Performance Peel AP25. It's a 25% blend of AHA & PHA. 

@WinglessOne Do you have any manual exfoliants that you recommend?  (I apologize if I've asked you this before - I just always appreciate your input!)  I'm currently looking for a new one.  I prefer ones that are on the grittier side.  

Scrubs that have been too abrasive for me include:

-VERSED

-philosophy Gentle Warming Exfoliator (I *love* philosophy's Microdelivery Exfoliating Face Wash, but the last versions have irritated my skin)

-Trader Joe's

-No. 7 Instant Results Purifying Heating Mask

Scrubs that have not been gritty enough for me include:

-Paula's Choice UnScrub (the particles diminished too rapidly) 

-Clinique's 7-Day Scrub (I don't think I've tried the latest version, but I doubt it'd be what I'm looking for)

-Neutrogena Hydro Boost scrub, Deep Clean scrub, Pore Refining Exfoliating Cleanser (I really like their Fresh Foaming scrub, but it's been discontinued for years)

@greeneyedgirl107  No worries! I honestly can't think of one because I don't use facial scrubs anymore. I don't even remember the last one I used, or when that was. Wait, I guess the old Sephora spirulina clay mask stick counted: it contained a few scrubby bits of algae, but I wouldn't call it very gritty. 

For manual exfoliation, I use either my Foreo or a wet terrycloth bamboo round or a terry washcloth. For my skin, the terry texture's plenty enough for manual exfoliation—especially since my usual method is chemical exfoliation—and I can usually resist the urge to rub my face too hard. Note that a physical scrub doesn't have to be very gritty to be effective. Even the long pile "exfoliation" side of a wet The Original MakeUp Eraser Watermelon MakeUp Eraser can gently do the job. It probably won't remove as many dead skin cells as glycolic acid, but I'm not sure a gritty scrub will either. 

And this reminds me to look for some comparisons of different exfoliants... I keep forgetting. That'd be a good topic for someone else to rabbit-hole. It'd also be a good question to ask a dermatologist. I imagine some derms are still anti-scrubs, while others will say people generally over-exfoliate (be it manually or chemically). My derm's kinda okay with scrubs, but cautions against going for the grittier ones, partly because people tend to rub them too hard on their skin. Anyway, if anyone reading this has a derm, ask them how they feel about various types of exfoliants and which one(s) they think are fine to use a couple times a week. 

@WinglessOne Thank you for the in-depth response - I really appreciate it.  I really should try a terry washcloth as it may save me some headache in the trial and error process.  🙂

Thank you for the recommendation I will have to look into this!

I am going to have to check this out! Thank you!  

16 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 19 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing