Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Moisturizer Allergic reeaction

I really wanted to raise awareness of this since I found it really hard to find any more info on it.

The DE Protini product gave me a pretty bad allergic reaction after just one day of getting it. I woke up the next morning with tiny red bumps on my cheeks, redness and itchiness all over my face, and worst of all, swelling around my eyelids. My skin felt very inflamed and almost puffy, The dumb this was I wanted to like this product so much because of the hype I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and used it a second day, only to wake up the next morning worse. I had to take antihistamines for a few days for my skin to go back to normal (TG I didn't need steroids). While I do have mildly sensitive skin, I have never had this type of reaction with any skin product before. Having worked in an allergic clinic, I was still freaked out that I couldn't go outside without icing my eyes for half an hour to reduce the swelling and taking Benadryl around the clock. I really wanted to like this product but whatever they have in the ingredients was just bad. 

I saw that some other people online also had similar reactions but it seems like their comments are either deleted or buried under glowing reviews. I really don't understand the hype and the fact that this product could cause a dangerous reaction is only mentioned once or twice at all in the skin care community. Let me know what you guys think! 

Re: Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Moisturizer Allergic reeaction

I am so glad you said something. I used this product, the first night was fine. The second morning I woke up with chemical burns under my eyes that progressed to severe swelling around my eyes, lips, and moved down my neck. I maxed myself out on Ibuprofen and Benadryl. I had to finally see a doctor for steroids. I was on steroids for a week. I feel validated that someone else had a bad reaction as well. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 12.47.18 PM.png

wow. Just came on here to post about the exact same product and reaction. My daughter tried a pea size sample of this on her hand, and within SECONDS her hands was on fire and breaking out in bumps. The bumps went shrunk as the day went on, and this morning she looks like this (and it has spread up her arm!). Thank goodness it was not on her face, and from now on we're going to have to check the ingredient list of anything she tries on. 

Everything you said is exactly what just happened to me. My face is on fire and I do not know what to do. I gave it a second try and now it’s worse than the first time. Very sad and kinda worried since I’ve never had any sort of skin reactions and this is very itchy, hot, red and little bumps everywhere 

I’m having a reaction to the Protini. I’ve been using the serums for weeks and love them. I bought the Protini on Saturday and today my face is covered in hives. It’s bad. 

I had the same thing!!! I used it 2 times and had hives and blisters with crazy itching!!!it kept me up 2 nights.  At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to my N95 mask and went to the minute clinic! I was diagnosed with an allergic reaction and put on a topical ointment and told to take Benadryl. The medical cost was over $200 and I will never use this cream again!! I wish I had seen these posts prior to going into a clinic in the midst of a pandemic. I just want to warm others with sensitive skin to stay away!!!

Same experience! It was so weird bc it was my second bottle and one morning I woke up with tiny bumps and redness on my cheeks. I am def returning. 

Hi, sorry to hear that you’ve been having some trouble with this product! My sensitive skin luckily am liking this lotion, and I did a patch test first to see if my skin reacted badly to it (I suggest that you try this out next time with a new product 🙂 your description of the experience definitely sounds concerning so I personally would avoid using it but I hope you find one you like soon —

I woke up with my neck swollen in hives and now that they hives have calm down, I have a flat, red, itchy rash across my neck. It's horrible! I'm trying not to scratch, but what the heck Drunk Elephant??

Sorry, this happened to you, must be allergic to some ingredients in this.

i have been using Protini for 2 years and never faced an issue. My daughters also use it sometimes. 

I'm so sorry that happened to you!

My friend is allergic to marula so she can't really use Drunk Elephant so maybe you're allergic to that? That's the only thing I can think of.

i cant use it either. but its the coconut alkanes that break me out. you could be allergic to coconuts?? moisturisers that don't break me out and i find effective for my skin ....OLEHENRIKSEN C-Rush™ Vitamin C Gel Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and CHARLOTTE TILBURY - Magic Cream Moisturizer

@karenymd  I’m sorry you had such a bad reaction! My skin hates Protini but doesn’t react as badly as yours: I get a non-itchy rash with no swelling. Do you know if you’re allergic or highly sensitive to any specific ingredient(s) in Protini? 

As for the hype: eh, different people react to different things—as I’m sure you know, having worked in an allergy clinic. Protini has a large following because it works for many people, causing no bad reactions. There aren’t many Drunk Elephant products I can use without some level of bad reaction, so I’m not a big fan of the brand. 

I don’t think I’m truly allergic to anything in Protini. I am allergic to benzoyl peroxide, so that’s my “am I truly allergic or just sensitive to it” comparison test. Popping antihistamines for a skin allergy is no fun, so I feel for you. 

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
Photos1
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 12.47.18 PM.png
testing