Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Dark spots on cheeks

I'm 51 & have these small dark spots on my cheeks, I've honestly tried so many different products and haven't seen the results I was hoping for. Open to suggestions from anyone who have the same issues and have tried products that have lightened or has spots that have disappeared altogether.  Please share your skincare routines. ️ Love & Light

Re: Dark spots on cheeks

@Kapolei  Depending on your skin tone and the nature of your dark spots (acne PIH, UV damage, an underlying skin condition, etc.), you may want to ask a board certified dermatologist about IPL or laser treatments. Those are probably the fastest ways to remove dark spots. For some spots, they're the only ways. 

What are some of the products you've already tried—or, what are some of the key ingredients you've tried? What's your current skincare routine? 

According to derms, the gold standard for dark spot removal (besides lasers and IPL) is hydroquinone. Unfortunately, the FDA no longer allows products with this ingredient to be sold over-the-counter. It's not banned in the US, but it's not as easy to access anymore. It's an ingredient folks shouldn't use without doctor oversight and instruction, so you could always ask your primary care doctor or a derm about whether or not it's a good fit for your dark spots. 

Ingredients that work best for me are azelaic acid (an antioxidant that attacks acne-causing bacteria and fades PIH), alpha arbutin, and kojic acid, with support from licorice root and niacinamide. Some products to consider that contain some or all of those ingredients: The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA Hyperpigmentation Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL , Topicals Faded Serum for Dark Spots & Discoloration 1.7 oz/ 50 mL , Hyper Skin Brightening Dark Spot Vitamin C Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL , Paula's Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster 1 oz/ 30 mL , The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL , FaceTheory Lumizela A10 Azelaic Acid serum, and Specific Beauty Dark Spot Corrector Pads. Your doctor can also recommend an Rx-strength azelaic acid gel; I usually use the Paula's Choice OTC cream. 

I also use a vitamin A derivative (retinaldehyde) daily, mostly to treat my larger patches of hyperpigmentation; this also has an effect on my small dark spots, but vitamin A is not a spot treatment. Vitamin C—the pure ascorbic acid form or any derivative—has never done much for any type of hyperpigmentation I've had. Your results may vary since we don't all have the same skin type/behavior or underlying conditions. There's a vitamin C derivative in the Hyper Skin serum I mentioned earlier. Ascorbic acid (pure vitamin C) is in the Specific Beauty Pads. 

I also use AHA or PHA exfoliants 1-3 times a week. These remove dead skin cells to reveal newer skin at the surface of my face. My favorite is Paula's Choice RESIST Advanced Smoothing Treatment 10% AHA. If you have sensitive skin, The INKEY List Polyhydroxy Acid (PHA) Gentle Exfoliating Toner 3.4 oz/ 100 mL is a gentler chemical exfoliant. Or you could try The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL or The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 1 oz/ 30 mL (lactic acid's gentler than glycolic acid, the "strongest" AHA), or the even gentler The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA 1 oz/ 30 mL . 

Thank you so much for your very informative reply. I will definitely take your suggestions.  I AM TRULY GRATEFUL 🙏 @WinglessOne 

@Kapolei  Can't edit my comment for some reason, but I forgot to ask: 

Do you currently use a broad spectrum sunscreen each day your skin's exposed to sunlight, regardless of weather or season? There's no point using anything to fade dark spots if you don't also stop the sun from worsening them or creating new ones. 🙂 

@Kapolei  If you have Sun spots as you know many products are on the market.  I am 65 and I have been using Glow Recipe Guava Vitamin C Dark Spot Brightening Treatment Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL  at night.  For me this has been working.  And I use a sunscreen on my face and neck daily all year.  I like Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ .  I like this. because I can also use it as a primer.  Good luck 😀

Thank you so much for the suggestion, I will definitely try these. I APPRECIATE YOU @Cissy63 

I’d get some laser spot treatments to remove them.  I do this annually, in the fall, and combined with a good skincare routine in between, the laser visit is pretty minimal. (FYI I’m 48, been doing the annual laser visit since I was 40 though I’ve missed it during Covid so I have a few more spots than normal now!)

Aloha, I was wondering if the laser treatments hurt @coopbd & the prices of these treatments? 

Thank YOU so much for your help & I will definitely look into this. 

I appreciate YOU 🙏 

@Kapolei are they sun spots, acne scars or age spots? Vitamin C is great for acne scars, I use The INKEY List Tranexamic Acid Hyperpigmentation Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL for sun spots as well as exfoliation, The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL is a favorite 

Thank YOU so much for your help & I will be try these products you mentioned.  

I AM truly GRATEFUL @lmaster 

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing