Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Vitamin C for sensitive skin???

Does anybody out here know of a Vitamin C product that is safe and effective for super sensitive/rosacea/reactive skin? My face will get really angry really fast if I use something that is disagreeable with it. I've been afraid to try just random Vitamin C products to find one. Also, I do not live that close to a Sephora so if I order it I have to send back by UPS if it does not work out, and that gets frustrating and time consuming, not to mention expensive. Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated. 

Re: Vitamin C for sensitive skin???

@mj65 I like Paula's Choice C15 Super Booster.

RE: Vitamin C for sensitive skin???

I use Skinceuticals CE Ferulic. Not available at Sephora and pricey, but amazing results. I love the Sunday Riley CEO Protect and Repair moisturizer. I’m curious about the CEO Rapid Flash Brightening Serum. It’s almost half the price of Skinceuticals. I wasn’t a fan of the Drunk Elephant C-Firma.

I love Skin Script vitamin C + green tea serum for my sensitive skin.  It has been extremely effective in evening out skin tone with no irritation.  It is not sold at Sephora.

I totally second Drunk Elephants line!!! Yes, very pricey, however the minis are running hand in hand with one another and only 28$! Great way to try it without forking out a hundred to try and a great way to see how you personally feel about using Vitamin C, even comes with cute little instructional packs so you know how to use with your specific skin concerns. I'd also recommend the Truth Serum 3 day transformation packs for FREE (10 day supply) IF you could get in store, and even if you can't, just ask a mod on here to send you one with your next order, they tend to be really good with that stuff, good luck babe! 

I really like the Ole Henriksen Truth Serum; it's lightweight, contains Vitamin C, and smells great!  There are also some great Ole Henriksen kits at Sephora right now.

This is a bit of a pricy option, but especially if you are able to test it out, I would highly highly recommend the Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum. It was the first Vitamin C product I ever used, and I've never experienced irritation with this product even when my skin hasn't been so happy. (That said, obviously don't use it on highly sensitized skin; if I put it on my nose/upper lip area when I have the sniffles it does tingle a bit, but that's the only case I've discovered so far.) It's really gentle and the packaging is well-designed to make sure this doesn't go off before its stated time. 

Other tips to minimize irritation when starting Vit C for the first time: 

1) at first, mix it with a water-based moisturizer (e.g. Drunk Elephant recommends mixing the C-Firma with their B-Hydra gel) to reduce the amount you're applying to your face and give the Vitamin C a bit of a buffer

2) make sure your skin is dry when applying

3) apply every other day or even every few days, slowly increasing the frequency as your skin tolerates it 

I have super sensitive skin that even some 'sensitive' moisturizers burn 😕

But I really love Philosophy's powered vitamin C (Turbo Booster) because you can control how much you use, from like 1/3 scoop to a full scoop, whatever your skin tolerates. 

They also have it at Ulta so if you have an Ulta closer to you, that might help with the returns process if need be.

As an aside, does Sephora not pay for a return label?! I have yet to return something by mail to Sephora but that seems terrible customer service that they make you pay for your own return.

I took your advice and bought the Philosophy C Booster Powder, thanks for that. But, I do have a question. What is the best way to mix it with my moisturizer, it seems to be a tad on the messy side and as of yet, I have not found a way to not make it messy. Any suggestions? I've been mixing it with my Peter Thomas Roth Cloud Creme, it's loaded with hyaluronic acid and is very moisturizing so I figured it would off-set the harshness that Vitamin C can have and it doesn't take a whole lot of the product to get fully covered. 

Thanks

Martha

Thanks 🙂 Yes, Sephora has free returns. What I meant was it gets expensive constantly buying stuff then having to send it back and wait for the refund then try something else, it's an annoying cycle to get into. I finally stopped buying certain things via mail because the hassle is just not worth it. That is why I like the Sephora play! subscription box, I can try out a product before I buy it so that way I do not get stuck in the never ending loop of return and try again. We did finally get an Ulta where I live so that makes things easier on the return end of things. The closest Sephora is an hour and 1/2 away and through traffic I do not want to drive through.  

@mj65 I like the Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution from The Ordinary. 

Most vitamin c serums burn my skin quite a bit, but this one doesn’t burn me at all.

I hope you find something you like!

Thank you! I already have purchased a few products from them but vitamin C always confuses me and kinda scares me a bit. I just went over and looked at their stuff, I like their breakdown of the different types of vitamin C. 

@mj65 You can always talk to a beauty advisor at Beautylish (which carries the ordinary products) and get advice as to which products would work best for your skin. I don’t know what their return policy is, but the products are very reasonably priced so it may not sting quite as badly

12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing