Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Make Up/Sensitive skin(Allergic to everything)

Hello everyone I have a complex problem. My skin is very sensitive, I am allergic to everything. In addition, I get bad migraines so I have to watch what type of body spray, hair spray, and especially perfumes I get. My life is even more complicated in the fact that I am disabled and have been since 2011 and unable to work therefore I am on a limited budget. So, suffice it to say having survived being hospitalized twice and almost died twice for a long time I just concentrated on surviving and my health and basically taking it a day at a time. So, my question for someone who can not afford to buy a lot of full bottles of products and has to watch what I use I need to know what works best. I am getting back into the swing of things and fully realize products have changed and technology has changed in the 6+ years that I have been disabled. So, any advice and product suggestions would be most beneficial. Sorry for the long explanation but I thought you might fully understand my predicament if you knew what if I have been through. I am unable to drive so I have to do all my shopping online. I don't think companies address the concerns of those that are disabled or those with skin allergies? What's your take?

RE: Make Up/Sensitive skin(Allergic to everything)

Hi Belah Angel and I am so sorry to hear of your current health issues. 😞. Since you have sensitive skin and are on a tight budget I would stick with a very good fragrance free body lotion brand such as Cerave. When you wear makeup try Almay which is an excellent fragrance free brand for sensitive skin. It’s far cheaper than department store brands. Blessings to you.

In regards of migraines, this may not apply as your health condition is different, but in case you wash your hair and let it air dry. Do NOT let your hair wet, never be cold air. Always dry your hair right after shower, specially the back/neck section. Try it, hopefully it helps.

Re: RE: Make Up/Sensitive skin(Allergic to everything)

So my choices are to air dry and have a migraine or blow dry and look like cousin it. Does any one have any ideas? I mean seriously, if I blow dry my hair I have naturally curly hair I will look like cousin it. It will not be good. Already made that blunder been there done that when getting ready for my prom a long time ago. Of course the blunder did make my mother laugh which in turn made me more anxious. In the end it all turned out good but there for a while I was being to wonder "Am I going to the prom looking like cousin it? Hope everyone's weekend is going well and guess what it is officially October-YEAH!!!  October 31st will be here before we know it does everyone have there costume and make up picked out? I love this time of the year! I love fall.

Re: Make Up/Sensitive skin(Allergic to everything)

Hi Belah, 

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. A few things that have really helped my super reactive skin:

- using fragrance-free laundry detergent, dish soap/dishwasher pods, hand soap 

- using fragrance-free shower products (Whole Foods 365 frag free wash is about $8 CDN for a huge bottle that lasts forever (you can use it as hand soap if you don't love it 🙂 or Aveeno frag free lotion and wash have also worked well for me. I use the baby formula of Dr.Bronner's soap for shaving and it has eradicated any razor burn. Just make sure to properly rinse your skin after using it. 

Re: Migraines - my husband suffers and it's very tough for him. I can say for sure that sugar and cheese can be a trigger, but not the case with everyone though. Reducing your sugar will also really help your skin too.

Also -  certain meds cause migraines, so be sure to ask your doctor about that one. 

I hope we can help you a little bit!

Yes migraines are indeed tricky. I have had them since a teenager. I have been on all types of medications and to no avail can not get rid of them. I have had MRI's, MRA's and Cat scans checking to make sure everything is okay since my migraines are so severe and I have so many of them and they last a while when they come on. You are right about the triggers it does vary by person but they pinpointed a list that everyone can go off of to help you figure out what your triggers are. Foods with Monosodium Glutumate, Sodium Phosphate and there was one more I can't remember. Basically, anything you can pop in the microwave and just heat up and then eat is going to give you a migraine. I also found out that chocolate gives you a migraine. However, I am able to eat white chocolate and not be affected so only the dark types of chocolates causes migraines. In addition, Chinese food and Mexican food is loaded with MSG and it will give you a migraine so beware. Readers also beware that caffeine gives you migraines and in addition to the risk of migraines pop puts you at risk of diabetes. I would suggest water or tea. I also found out that weather also triggers migraines. When a front moves in and out I get a migraine. Not to get personal ladies but it has also been proven by the Medical Association that a woman's time of the month can trigger migraines also-I know it is in my case. Well everyone, sorry for the long reply but I wanted to let everyone know what I knew about migraines. I have struggled with them since a teenager and no medication has helped them. Originally, my doctor had me do food/daily journals for a long time that is how I learned about all the triggers both personally and those the Medical Association accepts based research gathered from patients and doctors. Let's end on a happy note it's Sunday it's the weekend I got a lot of good deals at my local Goodwill yesterday. My mom drove me there. It is always nice to get a good deal and put the money back into your community. It's a win for everyone. You get stuff and the money gets put back into your community to help those less fortunate. It's my way of helping and it makes me smile. Thanks for your response back I really appreciate your help. It made my day. Belah Angel.

Hi @BelahAngel, so sorry to hear about your migraines and your health troubles. I wonder if there's any way you could do some sort of patch testing with an allergist or dermatologist? I'm just wondering if there's a way for you to gain any more information about what you're allergic to before you invest your money. Can you tell us about particular products you've had bad reactions to? I wonder if there is a pattern to be found there. I would tentatively point you in the direction of First Aid Beauty, Paula's Choice, or Drunk Elephant, but I would rather have more information first.

Yeah I think a dermatologist might be a good idea. I am kind of already established with one she treated me after being discharged from the hospital to treat my skin issues at the time. I broke out last night when I used the lotion I mentioned in my earlier post. Up until now this lotion had never broke me out. I don't know. I am thinking the recommendation for the dermatologist to find out specifically what my triggers are sounds like wise advise. Thank you to all of you for being so willing to help and being so wise and smart about beauty products. But hey on the fun side is everyone excited that it is fashion week? I know I am. I look forward to this week every year. Yeah I may not live in New York and do not get to see the shows live but I still follow all the designers, watch the shows on the computer and I have to look at fashion magazines also. Yep I am bit obsessed with fashion/beauty. I will willing admit it. There are worse things one could be obsessed with right? LOL.

RE: Re: Make Up/Sensitive skin(Allergic to everything)

I would definitely start with the dermatologist, but beware that those allergy tests don't cover everything. I have super-sensitive skin (I hardly ever wear makeup because of this) and break out from so many products, yet my allergy test came up negative for everything. Definitely get tested, though, because it would be so much easier to just read a label and say "yea" or "nay" based on ingredients. Okay, that being said... I love First Aid Beauty, especially their ultra repair cream. It's more expensive than drugstore brands, but a little goes a long way and you can use it head to toe. Drunk Elephant sounds like an amazing brand, but the cost has kept me away, personally. Now, if you have not tried Cerave (drugstore/box store), I highly recommend it. I can't use Cetaphil (which Derms love for sensitive skin) because the masking fragrance they use is obnoxious. Cerave doesn't have a masking fragrance, at least not that I can tell. And it has never irritated my skin (knocks on wood). My dermatologist also gave me some samples of Vanicream, which was very gentle but is hard to find in store, and I almost found the face wash too gentle for my oily skin. And as far as makeup goes, girl, good luck. I can't use eyeshadow or most foundations. But I do like Tarte's BB cream for the most part. Anyway... sorry for the long reply, but it looks like you've got some good options and advice here. PS- I would also recommend you purchase from stores like Sephora or CVS that guarantee the products they sell. If you have a reaction or just don't like something for some reason, they'll let you return it, even used. That may be more difficult if you have to mail something back, but you won't be stuck with almost full bottles that you paid for but can't use.

Re: RE: Re: Make Up/Sensitive skin(Allergic to everything)

I think you are right seems like that is the general consensus that First Aid Beauty or Drunk Elephant would be the best or at least it seems to be the most recommended. I am at a point right now where I just don't use make up period like I said I have tried and I break out. I also can't wear watches or jewelry unless it's pure for example 925 Sterling Silver or pure gold. The imitation cheap knock off stuff I can not wear I break out. So my sensitive skin problem extends to the type of jewelry I can wear also. Sometimes I have to laugh at all of these skin issues it's just crazy. But it's okay I will eventually figure out what brand to use and one day be able to wear make up again and use lotion and other products freely and it will be from help and support from nice people like you who took the time out of their busy day to try and help me. Thank you very much. I appreciate all of your help. Belah Angel.

Aw I'm sorry to hear you broke out from the lotion @BelahAngel, that stinks! Yeah I definitely think talking to your derm would help. I also love following Fashion Week! Even if I can't afford the clothes, I always feel inspired by watching/ following the shows. Then my best friend watches them and we compare notes. I'm glad you like watching them too, and you're right-- they are definitely worse things to be obsessed over 🙂 

I know I can't afford the clothes either. I get inspired with ideas on new outfits I want to buy and things I know I need to add to my wardrobe. Of course, you get inspired with new beauty ideas as well. Some of those beauty stylists are so gifted. You know the new techniques and colors bring out colors in the new clothes both are beautiful separate but together they are amazing. Luckily we get to watch shows, back stage videos etc. that give us inspiration and insight to the new collections. I am glad that I am not the only one that is obsessed over fashion week. Kudos to us the beauty/fashion obsessed I think you rock for admitting you also are obsessed with fashion week!! Thanks again for your help.

Hmmmm, that's a tough one not knowing what your allergen triggers are.  Could you list the ingredients you're allergic to so we can better help you?  

First Aid Beauty products are pretty gentle but I dont want to recommend something to you without knowing what your allergies are.  @BelahAngel

Thanks for your help but that's a tough one. I don't know what I am allergic to. The only lotion I know I can use right know is the lotion you use on babies. I usually get the generic brand in lieu of Johnson & Johnson in order to save some money. This lotion is the only thing I have found so far that will not break me out. Finding perfume is a nightmare! One because I might break out and two because I might get a migraine from the scent. I have avoided make up to this point due to breaking out and being frustrated I just don't know what triggers the reaction and don't know if there is a product out there that might work. I hold on to hope. I appreciate everyone's support and suggestions. Any other advice and advice on product brands would be greatly appreciated. Kudo's to everyone for being so informed on products and what it means to have sensitive skin. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!!!

Definitely get patch tested for Colophony. It's in almost all makeup. If you've reacted badly to bandaids and poison ivy, you probably are allergic.

Very interesting. I am very allergic to poison ivy and poison oak don't have to be very far from it to get whatever is in the air onto my skin and for me to start breaking out. I have an aunt who is the same way-could be genetic? I did not know about the ingredient in make up that is interesting. I will be honest I don't know what is in make up or how it is made not something I have ever really thought about. You have been very insightful.. Thanks so much for your help.

Oh my goodness @BareAndEasy, this is so interesting to me, because my son has had weird allergic reactions to the fabric-type bandaids, but he's been fine with other kinds, even if they had latex. He also breaks out when he falls in the wood chips at the playground. 

Try Tatcha products, great for sensitive skin, zero scent.

As I get older, I find that my skin is becoming increasingly more sensitive as well. I also have that same fear of committing to buying a full bottle of product only for my skin to literally flake on me and then become super irritated and dry. Luckily, Sephora is generous enough to give you samples of skincare and foundations to try before you buy. I had the best luck with Korean skincare and their BB creams. I am happy to see that Sephora has jumped the bandwagon. A lot of Korean skin care are pretty well priced as well. My favorite brands are Missha M, Skinfood and Tonymoly. Sephora also carries Beauty Water and Watermelon Sleeping Mask that works beautifully. Good Luck!

Re: RE: Make Up/Sensitive skin(Allergic to everything)

Thanks, I will look into those brands. Yes, I also agree that samples rock. Anytime I can get a sample I do. For me it is best to try a product first to see how I react before spending all that money on a full bottle which more than likely will result me in breaking out. Being on a limited budget and having to watch what you buy makes shopping difficult and then add to that I am disabled and unable to drive so I have to do my shopping online. That makes shopping difficult. I am hanging in there though. I greatly appreciate your product suggestions and all your help and you taking the time out of your busy day to respond. Thank you so much.

Drunk elephant (skincare) is AMAZING for sensitive skin and you can try it out a couple times to find out if you are allergic. Same goes for Cover FX (makeup), they have awesome ingredients and are known for being sensitive, check it out for sure.
23 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
testing